Open a women's boutique store

Omgcouture

Oct 19, 2015
Hello to everyone
I would like to open a women's clothing store, but Im unsure which areas to consider
I'm from the UK and my items retail from ?100/$160/7000pesos upto ?170/$260/11000pesos I know most Dominicans may not be willing to spend this amount of money on a dress or outfit. My pieces a very highend and I have had very positive feedback from my demographic range, with my prices being slightly high I would need to open my store in a middle class area, any suggestions where I should look at please?
Also is it worth me operating an online store, do middle class Dominicans like to shop online?
also a friend recommended that I offer my services to media enterprises such as dressing women on TV for music videos and award shows, how would I go about this? All advice is welcome please bare in mind I don't have thousands of pounds to spend I am working with an economical feasible budget when it comes to paying rent and furnishing the store

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I'm not an expert on fashion and retail, but I'll weigh in anyways. (as will others) My only interest (as a male) is people need to dress nice. Anything that encourages that is good in my book. Especially a gal in a nice dress.

Are you living in or moving to DR? I would say Doms shopping online would be probably not, but you should still have an online presence. And it's not that expensive anymore.

How about being the official outfitter for some Dom Newsgals and Weathergals? Potentially some good exposure there.

Not knowing where you are, but how about a small boutique in Playa Dorada North Coast? It's trying to make a come back and there are some pricey areas getting built. And it would place you near a small city. A small shop combined with an online store might work. That way you're not paying for a lot of square footage.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Hello to everyone
I would like to open a women's clothing store, but Im unsure which areas to consider
I'm from the UK and my items retail from ?100/$160/7000pesos upto ?170/$260/11000pesos I know most Dominicans may not be willing to spend this amount of money on a dress or outfit. My pieces a very highend and I have had very positive feedback from my demographic range, with my prices being slightly high I would need to open my store in a middle class area, any suggestions where I should look at please?
Also is it worth me operating an online store, do middle class Dominicans like to shop online?
also a friend recommended that I offer my services to media enterprises such as dressing women on TV for music videos and award shows, how would I go about this? All advice is welcome please bare in mind I don't have thousands of pounds to spend I am working with an economical feasible budget when it comes to paying rent and furnishing the store

Please send me a private message via the site with additional info on your line of clothing. I own r/e in a highly trafficedarea and would be open to a conversation.

Omgcouture

Oct 19, 2015
Thanks Ctrob, I do not live in the Dr yet, I currently live in London but spend a good 5months of the year there, the plan is to move there but I would need to know I could make a decent living before I commit to moving, I've spent a lot of time in bayahibe, La romana and higuey
Your suggestion of Playa Dorada is something I will look into, also I like the idea of dressing weather girls thank you xxx

Apr 7, 2014
Hello to everyone
If it isnt a widely known expensive name brand it may not be successful. If it is original creations it will be a hard sell.. If it is Prada and Gucci then it may work.

His Royal Majesty, Lord Belly Button Kidney Bean, House of Donkey Kong

Omgcouture

Oct 19, 2015
Lol, Hi Frank if you have no valuable contribution to make how about not responding to the post? I never asked for help "making" a business plan. Another person with nothing to contribute who seeks attention via public forums

Omgcouture

Oct 19, 2015
Well it's definitely not Prada or Gucci, but is on par when it comes to quality, during the summer I held a clothes expo and sold a sagnifcent amount of pieces offering a 10% discount or allowing customers to leave deposits and make weekly payments and collect items once fully paid off, maybe this is why I'm optimistic

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well it's definitely not Prada or Gucci, but is on par when it comes to quality, during the summer I held a clothes expo and sold a sagnifcent amount of pieces offering a 10% discount or allowing customers to leave deposits and make weekly payments and collect items once fully paid off, maybe this is why I'm optimistic

listen to the Commander. he knows of what he speaks. the DR is not exactly the epicenter of cosmopolitan advancement. it is a place where people do want to appear to be on the cutting edge, but are woefully undereducated on what constitutes the latest and the best. a few of their cousins might go to Washington Heights, see a horde of people in an Aeropostale tee shirt, and before you know it every motoconcho guy in Bayahibe has one. that is soon replaced by a Hollister, because the dynamics remain constant. however, if you are marketing an upscale brand which does not appear with great visibility on every street corner, it will be a hard sell. if the brand name is not conspicuously displayed, for all to see, then it is just another dress, regardless of how well it is made. it is not as if people can easily differentiate between a Hermes suit and something they bought in D?Fuasto Ropas Para Hombre.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I recently went to south America with 16 Dominicans, some rich and others middle class, and many of the women do shop online, and know their brands very well. Many have travelled far more than the average NA or European. I don't know if this helps you but there are a significant number of Dominicans that have money and will spend it on clothing. My wife- only on shoes.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Hello to everyone

If I were you I would try San Juan Puerto Rico 1st.

You may think you will come out cheaper in DR, but you won't.

If you do well in San Juan and make a name for yourself no doubt other US cities will be interested in your line.

Fly to Puerto Rico and talk with some of the shop owners and get their take. You make even want to partner up with them so they can show case some of your pieces so you can get an idea of the market.

Dominican Republic is NOT the place you should consider launching off your line.

I PROMISE YOU!!!! Try to get a foot in the door in Puerto Rico it will be your best move.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Dominican Republic is NOT the place you should consider launching off your line.
I PROMISE YOU!!!!

Why?

I actually have a funny "dress shopping with a Dominicana" story. But it has to be told over Presidentes.

May 29, 2006
Lol, Hi Frank if you have no valuable contribution to make how about not responding to the post? I never asked for help "making" a business plan. Another person with nothing to contribute who seeks attention via public forums

Aside from Russian call girls, I don't see much market in that price range..

Yet another person wanting praise for a "brilliant" idea who then is abusive when given a dose of reality. Go ahead, open away and prove us wrong..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you plan to come to the DR to make money by opening a business, just don't do it. Make your money elsewhere and have fun visiting the DR.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Aside from Russian call girls, I don't see much market in that price range..

Yet another person wanting praise for a "brilliant" idea who then is abusive when given a dose of reality. Go ahead, open away and prove us wrong..

What is wrong with Russina Putas, some of the best consumers?
Hey we even have a happily retired one on board here, no names.
The OP only wants to hear positive stroking, and refuses to realize her idea is a losing proposition.

May 29, 2006
The Russians want a higher price point and furs..

What you see over and over again are ppl who have a product looking for a market. It's so much easier to find an underserved market then provide a product.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The Russians want a higher price point and furs..

They love The Happy Diamond watches!

CHOPARD%20LADIES%20HAPPY%20DIAMONDS-500x500.jpeg

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
To the OP,

Sounds like you may have your production/distribution chain reversed. You can have the clothes made here, for mere pennies, then sell them in more lucrative markets, and maximize your margin.

Another idea is to come up with a less expensive line of quality clothes to sell in the East Coast markets. There have been tons on threads on DR1 talking about "Plaza Lama" (read: poor quality) level clothes being available. Quality, sensible, reasonably priced caribbean clothing could be a very nice niche.

In terms of demand, it's a lot easier to meet it than to create it. Either way, good luck.