Interesting ATV/Motocross route

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
This may interest a select few.

Yesterday a friend of mine and I did a great ATV trip (sport/racing ATV, you could not do this with a regular rental). We started in Cofresi and took the Loma de la Bestias exit from the main highway near the University. From there we cut over to the road to Cupey and went the back of the mountain all the way to the Star Hills exit on main highway again.

Then by Montellano took the trails to Jamao al Norte (for this section you will need a GPS or ask a lot of farmers because its easy to get lost). We had lunch at one of the shacks on the river bed, interestingly there we had really good Cotorro (Parrot fish obviously not from the river). There is also good bathing spots to cool off as the river is really wide there and people build little dams. There are drunk people jumping off cliffs and there is loud music, as you would expect when a lot of Dominicans gather on a Sunday.

From there we took the Moca road a few miles South and entered a trail that went all the way to Gasper Hernandez. Some of these sections were steep, rocky, and crossed a river several times, but the scenery was absolutely stunning. This section is long and physical, I do not recommend this for the weak or the complainers.

From Gasper Hernandez we took the main road back via Cabarete and Sosua to Cofresi. This is about 180km and took the whole day with several breaks and a late start.

Track can be seen here:

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/3106528

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
That sounds like a fun ride. I've done some of that with my Jeepeta and it's quite a pretty route.

However:
I just realised that it must have been your group that went past the restaurant and absolutely deafened us all!

So, without stealing your thunder, so to speak;

Why can't they put mufflers on those stupid things and why is it necessary to rev them up so often??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i' have done the ride past loma de la bestia and then back to san marcos once, cycling. well, lots of it was pushing the bike. magnificent views in this area and in el cupey as well.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
That sounds like a fun ride. I've done some of that with my Jeepeta and it's quite a pretty route.

However:
I just realised that it must have been your group that went past the restaurant and absolutely deafened us all!

So, without stealing your thunder, so to speak;

Why can't they put mufflers on those stupid things and why is it necessary to rev them up so often??

Where is your restaurant and what is it called?

I took the silencers and spark arrestors out of the mufflers to get more horsepower, but I do realize now that this was mistake. I am sure the agony didn't take that long, we usually go pretty fast when we can. :pirate:

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
This may interest a select few.

Then by Montellano took the trails to Jamao al Norte (for this section you will need a GPS or ask a lot of farmers because its easy to get lost). We had lunch at one of the shacks on the river bed, interestingly there we had really good Cotorro (Parrot fish obviously not from the river). There is also good bathing spots to cool off as the river is really wide there and people build little dams. There are drunk people jumping off cliffs and there is loud music, as you would expect when a lot of Dominicans gather on a Sunday.

From there we took the Moca road a few miles South and entered a trail that went all the way to Gasper Hernandez. Some of these sections were steep, rocky, and crossed a river several times, but the scenery was absolutely stunning. This section is long and physical, I do not recommend this for the weak or the complainers.

From Gasper Hernandez we took the main road back via Cabarete and Sosua to Cofresi. This is about 180km and took the whole day with several breaks and a late start.

I took this part of the ride on a Yamaha 125 enduro bikes a few years ago. One of the best trips for scenery I have taken. But you are right: it is a tough trip and not for complainers-I was pretty sore for a few days after the ride.