Residency visa DR

MJ_86

Oct 22, 2015
Hi all,
I'm looking at applying for residency and spending 1 week a month in the DR. I'd like the residency visa to lead to eventual citizenahip. I think it's a good option to be able to have dual citizenship so that's a route I'd like to explore.

My question is: is it possible to accumulate the 7 years necessary to apply for citizenship with time spent out of the country? And also is it possible for a lawyer or an agency to apply for my renewals (visa/ID card) on my behalf? Is it possible for someone to work outside the country but be issued with a residency visa in the DR?

Thanks in advance

Mike

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I might be wrong but I do not think it is even possible to to keep residency while only spending less than 25% of the year in the country. Like I say I could be wrong, but I remember when I had mine there was something somewhere about a minimal time required to be spent in the country, I think. It's been a while and I'm a little fuzzy with my memory on this.
But yes your lawyer can do all the work, you just need to be there to go get the tests and collect.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The 'in country' requirement for residency is no absence longer than 6 months.
If that's even enforced.

Your one week/month will be fine....IMO

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Have your attorney not only apply, but also make sure it goes through. If they can't, find one that has done it. Do not use an agency. Your attorney should know about the one week per month. It should be fine.

MJ_86

Oct 22, 2015
Thanks for the replies. I've just heard back from a lawyer one who I think is affiliated with this site and I'm not eligible for a visa unless I buy real estate due to the law changes back in 2011 :-(

Would anyone know if there is a certain threshold that I would have to meet for the real estate option? I replied to the lawyer but i didn't get a response :p

Thanks again