Planet Fitness to open in DR

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Coming month Planet Fitness is opening in Santo Domingo with offers starting at RD$500 per month!

Their first location will be in Silver Sun Gallery (Tiradentes / Gustavo Mejia Ricart)

http://www.planetfitness.do/offers.php

In the meantime Smart Fit, the other budget gym, is planning to open three more locations in Santo Domingo and one in Santiago the coming months.

May 29, 2006
I'm on the intro deal for Planet Fitness here: first month for a buck then $10 a month afterwards. They make money because 80% of the folks who sign up stop going after three months and then it's only $10..

One place I think would be cool to have a gym is at the airports with all of the 4-8 hour layovers. A $10 day membership with access to showers would be a good deal for a lot of travelers...

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Just the shower would be worth it. I'd pay another ten for whoever has the seat next to me.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Open from 11AM to 7PM
Something does not seem right for me...

If that's not a mistake they won't get far.

I hate gyms, tried Smart Fit, it's fine but I still don't like it and cancelled last week, but if I would ever join a gym it wouldn't be Planet Fitness. With those prices and credit card not being a requisite (as at Smart Fit) you end up joining a gym together with the barrio guys, 'dando a los hierros'.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
I've been waiting to see if budget fitness would come to Dr. I've been in that business for many years. Does that location have at least 200 parking space? If not, it will be a disaster. That is one of the challenges with the Dr. Finding vacant properties with. 200 car parking. I looked for locations years ago, but I realized early on that I wouldn't want to do business in Dr. With the 10 dollar model, gives a chance for many classes to mix together.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
If that's not a mistake they won't get far.

I hate gyms, tried Smart Fit, it's fine but I still don't like it and cancelled last week, but if I would ever join a gym it wouldn't be Planet Fitness. With those prices and credit card not being a requisite (as at Smart Fit) you end up joining a gym together with the barrio guys, 'dando a los hierros'.
no credit card is not possible. Franchise rule is all memberships must be paid with EFT. (credit card)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
no credit card is not possible. Franchise rule is all memberships must be paid with EFT. (credit card)

Bank account is enough. "Debitado mensualmente de una cuenta de CHEQUE o AHORRO o Tarjeta de Credito, ser? cobrada una cuota de mantenimiento anual de RD$ 1,800+ Imp. en o alrededor de febrero 1. - See more at: http://www.planetfitness.do/offers.php#sthash.E3FpmBxW.

More and more companies pay their employees by bank, also those earning minimum.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
11-7 is the hours of the presale office is my guess

Went there tonight and it was open and packed at 10pm.

I received a message on Facebook Monday from my nephew that he was coming to SD to install a Gym. I asked where he was staying and he told me Embassy Suits. We met at Applebee's for dinner. He told me about his ride from the airport and how the cab broke down and that people drive here crazy.

It didn't dawn on me that it was Planet Fitness , because he works for Life Fitness. That's the company PF brought their equipment. He was shocked to learn that 30 plus treadmills are still being hung up at customs till this extra "tax" is paid. He was shocked at what the workers who were helping to install the equipment are paid a day. I just laughed .

The gym is gigantic, has a ton of equipment. He didn't believe it was going to open tonight because there was so much that needed to be done. I hope it does well and that everything holds up since it was a rush job.

$10 a month is a bargain for this gym. Too bad it's far from me. I would be one of those persons to join, then stop going after two months because I would come up with excuses because it was to far and to much traffic.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
Been in the fitness business all my life, and I supervised the openings of many PFs and other brands like it.
Some of the reasons I didn't open one in the DR was the import costs of the equipment and the fact that your landlord could essentially rob your business from you. There are way too many variables for me and other people's money. The owners of that franchise have 8 locations in Puerto Rico I'm curious to see how it goes for them. One good PF franchise and it's an easy 1million a year net profit...

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
open round the clock on weekdays

Open from 11AM to 7PM
Something does not seem right for me...

As of now, it says "Abierto 24 horas de lunes a viernes. Abrimos desde lunes a las 5:00am hasta el viernes a las 9:00pm. Sabado y Domingo de 7:00am a 7:00pm".

This means they are open 24 hours (round the clock) from 5am on Mondays to 9pm on Fridays.
On weekends, they open 7am-7pm.

One would think that an international chain would bother to have at least a mini-page with the bare minimal information in English. Yes, there are web-based translators (google, etc) and they work OK, but still one page with basic info in English would make sense.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
As of now, it says "Abierto 24 horas de lunes a viernes. Abrimos desde lunes a las 5:00am hasta el viernes a las 9:00pm. Sabado y Domingo de 7:00am a 7:00pm".

This means they are open 24 hours (round the clock) from 5am on Mondays to 9pm on Fridays.
On weekends, they open 7am-7pm.

One would think that an international chain would bother to have at least a mini-page with the bare minimal information in English. Yes, there are web-based translators (google, etc) and they work OK, but still one page with basic info in English would make sense.

Tell that to Burger King, McDonalds, Subway, Quiznos, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Sbarros, Wendys, KFC, Taco Bell, and the rest of American chains.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Tell that to Burger King, McDonalds, Subway, Quiznos, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Sbarros, Wendys, KFC, Taco Bell, and the rest of American chains.

**FDA AND AMA WARNING** Please take full daily dosage of Lipitor if planning to read above list in one sitting.

May 12, 2005
6918b1663e776a33839cf27772f0447a.jpg

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
planet fitness to open in dr

Coming month Planet Fitness is opening in Santo Domingo with offers starting at RD$500 per month!

Their first location will be in Silver Sun Gallery (Tiradentes / Gustavo Mejia Ricart)

http://www.planetfitness.do/offers.php

In the meantime Smart Fit, the other budget gym, is planning to open three more locations in Santo Domingo and one in Santiago the coming months.

Does anyone know if Planet Fitness will have other locatiins?

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Notreallyconfused, sorry, I'm confused. What do you mean by your statement that the Landlord could essentially rob your business from you?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
They are planning one on Megacentro Santo Domingo Este.

People are dropping from the gym, I've heard you might wait up to a hour waiting for a machine to be available.

I thought that was Smart Fit. They opened in La Romana, Arroyo Hondo (Av. Colombia) and will open in Bella Vista (the new mall / cinema on Nunez) and I think I heard Megacentro.