Do you have?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Don't know why but guess I am just on a roll starting threads the past couple of days.

My question is do you have a list of peeps who live in la rep dom that when, and if the crap hits the fan you can contact them and know they will be there for you?

Funny thing I have personally met and some I have not met but there are some DR1 peeps I feel confidant they would be there for me if needed. Of course I won't mention names for the mere fact I would not want to forget one person.

On the other hand I have my small group of Dominicans who I know in one half of a heart beat they would be there for me. Time tested and proven.

What about you?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Don't know why but guess I am just on a roll starting threads the past couple of days.

My question is do you have a list of peeps who live in la rep dom that when, and if the crap hits the fan you can contact them and know they will be there for you?

Funny thing I have personally met and some I have not met but there are some DR1 peeps I feel confidant they would be there for me if needed. Of course I won't mention names for the mere fact I would not want to forget one person.

On the other hand I have my small group of Dominicans who I know in one half of a heart beat they would be there for me. Time tested and proven.

What about you?

i have a friend in Mao who i know will drop everything and come to POP if she heard i cut myself shaving.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
miesposo's family and a fellow polak friend.

OK dv8, since you were the first to respond don't you also have some DR1 peeps you would holler out to in an emergency. You know my love of SD, I can easily count six people in less than 30 minutes from me that I would say, hey I got a major problem and I know they would show up. On the other hand the concierge man at my building has been the go to man for the past year.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
i have a friend in Mao who i know will drop everything and come to POP if she heard i cut myself shaving.

Nice, doesn't it give you some peace of mind .................. especially in a land where some gringos complain about everthing

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

matter of fact gorgon you on my list. we never met but I bet dollars to donuts you would be there if needed...... (despite our dis-agreements on the board)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
matter of fact gorgon you on my list. we never met but I bet dollars to donuts you would be there if needed...... (despite our dis-agreements on the board)

and i would bring some Jamaican food with me....

if we did not have disagreements, we would not be adults.....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr. AE has a lot of really dependable family, and we also have a group of DR1 friends who live in DR that I know would be there for us.

After the poisoning of the dog at our house, we were very apprehensive and worried about our house and remaining dog, and suspicious of some of our neighbors. We put in an alarm, fired the caretaker, got the maid to come over to feed the dogs, hired another neighbor who was Mr. AE's diving buddy since childhood to take care of the property. We held our breath, feeling helpless being so far.

Well, we found out that the first time the alarm went off [some genius decided that a motion detector facing our inverters & batteries was a good idea, but forgot about the flying chickens and birds] our maid, the alcalde and an off duty PN [all live across the road] were on the property immediately. Makes it easier to sleep at night. There ARE good people in DR, both expat and Dominican.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
and i would bring some Jamaican food with me....

if we did not have disagreements, we would not be adults.....

I can see it now............... bad car accident. I have three broken legs, 97 busted ribs, 8 thousand and a half bottle of IV...... and here you show up trying to force oxtails down my throat .............. LOL, but it would still be nice to know you cared

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Mr. AE has a lot of really dependable family, and we also have a group of DR1 friends who live in DR that I know would be there for us.

After the poisoning of the dog at our house, we were very apprehensive and worried about our house and remaining dog, and suspicious of some of our neighbors. We put in an alarm, fired the caretaker, got the maid to come over to feed the dogs, hired another neighbor who was Mr. AE's diving buddy since childhood to take care of the property. We held our breath, feeling helpless being so far.

Well, we found out that the first time the alarm went off [some genius decided that a motion detector facing our inverters & batteries was a good idea, but forgot about the flying chickens and birds] our maid, the alcalde and an off duty PN [all live across the road] were on the property immediately. Makes it easier to sleep at night. There ARE good people in DR, both expat and Dominican.

Wow, I know you are away from la rep dom longer periods than I. I go max two weeks and paying the extra rent I return with no worries. To me it is "comfort food" to know a handful of peeps, make that two handfuls.

I guess thing is I live in comfort zone and really don't know much about being in the barrio or campo except for a day visit.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015

That is an interesting question, bigbird. The natural emotional benefits of a social circle plus the safety in numbers makes it quite important. We have a tight group of a dozen or more in our area plus my wife's enormous family.

As far as DR1, I've already learned there is a great deal for me to learn about the DR. Upon joining Dr1, my first forum of any nature by the way, I thought it was merely a vehicle for information and wisecracks from random, faceless people that would remain simply that and nothing more. However, as I interact more and more, albeit as a brand new member still, it is becoming obvious there is much more to the experience. One forms opinions of individual posters and their make up. A bit premature for me to "count on" anyone, but there are a few that have reliable, thoughtful advice that is appreciated.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............. There ARE good people in DR, both expat and Dominican.

Exactly, and the point of my thread

Sometimes I just get so tired of reading how bad this country is. Yes I have my moments but all in all it is good here if you have a few pesos.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
OK dv8, since you were the first to respond don't you also have some DR1 peeps you would holler out to in an emergency.

maybe. apart from that fellow polak dr1ers are the only people i ever talk to, really. those i met are great people too.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
maybe. apart from that fellow polak dr1ers are the only people i ever talk to, really. those i met are great people too.

OK dv8, sit down and have a seat. believe it or not if I was in Puerto plata and got in a jamb I would message you to help. you would show up despite our arguments on this board. say what you want but I believe that. quite naturally gorgon would be late cause he fixing some food to eat.

to me, I feel comfy knowing there are people when needed they will be there. sometimes it is tough being in another country and not having your family near to look out for you...............

just sayin'

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I had a community of people way before I joined DR-1. Maybe because I look at life with a gimlet eye, but it's just one of those things you put in place when you move somewhere, especially if you expatriate yourself.

And two years ago, when I was lying in the middle of Rte. 5 with two broken legs, a broken ankle, a broken wrist, and major wounds, sure enough: one phone call, and my peeps were there.

BlondeJustice

May 28, 2014
I've made some very good friends in the DR (both Dominican & Gringo) who I know would be there for me at the drop of a hat. We're fortunate enough that we even get to see each other occasionally when we're back in our native habitats. It does seem much easier to make friends here in the DR. Must be the weather - it's difficult to hang out at the beach when the ice is five feet thick and hard to move around in the seven layers protecting us from the -40C cold!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
OK dv8, sit down and have a seat. believe it or not if I was in Puerto plata and got in a jamb I would message you to help. you would show up despite our arguments on this board. say what you want but I believe that. quite naturally gorgon would be late cause he fixing some food to eat.

i might, if there is gorgon's cheesecake involved. :cheeky: