Installing Appliances

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
We will be buying and installing new appliances in our condo next month and I am wondering about installation of a gas stove.
I believe through my research on these forums we have a couple local options to buy appliances from a place in the Palma Real shopping center that we have already done some price checking in and another place with a name that escapes me in the San Juan sopping center.
If my memory serves me correct I read that one, or maybe both, of these stores offer delivery and installation. I am not worried about the fridge because as long as it is delivered up the floor of the apartment I can handle plugging it in. A gas stove on the other hand I have never done that before another I am sure it is pretty simple.
If the store offers delivery and installation does that include hooking up an stove to the gas line?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would ask in Corripio if they will do it. That is the store you mentioned in the S. Juan Mall. I would think they would.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Make sure the stove is jetted for Propane. The one Corripio delivered to me was sent from the factory with natural gas jets and they had to come and change the jets.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
If your gas line is installed (and hopefully the tank you buy will be located outside the building with an underground line leading to your kitchen) then the install is very simple and I'm pretty sure the delivery guy will hook it up for you. If you don't already have it or if it is not provided, buy the biggest tank you can, (harder to steal in case your tank is not locked up outside and lasts longer), get it filled, and buy a "regulador" first, then ask the delivery guy to do the install which will have to happen on both ends, in the kitchen and outside at the termination point of your gas line. If not secured, then buy a chain and padlock for the tank.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
If your gas line is installed (and hopefully the tank you buy will be located outside the building with an underground line leading to your kitchen) then the install is very simple and I'm pretty sure the delivery guy will hook it up for you. If you don't already have it or if it is not provided, buy the biggest tank you can, (harder to steal in case your tank is not locked up outside and lasts longer), get it filled, and buy a "regulador" first, then ask the delivery guy to do the install which will have to happen on both ends, in the kitchen and outside at the termination point of your gas line. If not secured, then buy a chain and padlock for the tank.

Excellent advice, just adding to this:

If any connections are made by somebody else than you yourself, check them properly for leaks (with soapy water etc.), and be careful when selecting the regulator, the more "metallic" and with less plastic the better in quality (personal experience).

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Excellent advice, just adding to this:

If any connections are made by somebody else than you yourself, check them properly for leaks (with soapy water etc.), and be careful when selecting the regulator, the more "metallic" and with less plastic the better in quality (personal experience).

If you have 2 tanks you can buy a regulator with a switch when one goes empty just switch it to the outher and send the empty to be refilled. No loss of cooking time with the switch!

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Actually the tank is in the washroom and I have to haul it to the gas station. So I opted for a size that I could manage on my own. I think it is a 25 pound tank.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Make sure the stove is jetted for Propane. The one Corripio delivered to me was sent from the factory with natural gas jets and they had to come and change the jets.

Right, Windy.

We have propane in the US and our stove needed to be altered...
Gas stoves come with the conversion kit.... not hard to do.

watch this be deleted for not being RD related...

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Further to this thread, we have brought down some North American appliances, i.e. gas stove and dishwasher. We can't seem to find anyone who can install the dishwasher. It is a Whirlpool Gold Series and all the water and electricity hook-ups are down. The stove my husband and I have done most of it but we still need to adjust the oven flames and down-size the flames on the stove. We lack the very specific flat head screwdriver that is required for that adjustment. We would love to find someone who can do these installs and I can't believe that there is no one on the North Coast who can do this. We also have two ceiling fans that need to be installed that have remote controls, if possible but not absolutely necessary. Can anyone recommend someone to do these? Thank you for any help!

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Further to this thread, we have brought down some North American appliances, i.e. gas stove and dishwasher. We can't seem to find anyone who can install the dishwasher. It is a Whirlpool Gold Series and all the water and electricity hook-ups are down. The stove my husband and I have done most of it but we still need to adjust the oven flames and down-size the flames on the stove. We lack the very specific flat head screwdriver that is required for that adjustment. We would love to find someone who can do these installs and I can't believe that there is no one on the North Coast who can do this. We also have two ceiling fans that need to be installed that have remote controls, if possible but not absolutely necessary. Can anyone recommend someone to do these? Thank you for any help!

Not hard to install. we have an appliance man coming today I can ask him. There are service men on the north coast.if you can't find anyone I can do it. have done many. hardest thing to find on dishwasher is the screw on 90 degree adaptor at the water solenoid supply. you will not find one in this area. they come with the machines but many times missing. ceiling fans can be tricky if they have a light also and a switch on the wall. may need to run extra wire. btw I have extra water line fitting

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
That would be terrific! Thank you so much. Any help would be very welcome and compensated. All the parts for the dishwasher are with it and I hope that specific piece is there. Please let us know.

Heather

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If this is a natural gas stove, it may need to be converted to propane.

that may be the flame issue.

They know how to do that here...easliy

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
If possible, I would recommend buying a gas stove for gas that you already have. While the conversion is not difficult (I did mine myself just w/ the manual), there can be drawbacks. For one, if it is a high preforming stove, like a Viking or Wolf, for example, you can end up loosing quite a bit of those powerful BTU's that make them so great in the first place. If that is not a concern, then no worry. The plumbing and hookup are pretty darn straightforward.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
That would be terrific! Thank you so much. Any help would be very welcome and compensated. All the parts for the dishwasher are with it and I hope that specific piece is there. Please let us know.

Heather

pm sent if you still want install

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All gas stoves come with a conversion kit.....

I'll be doing the clothes dryer next... w/ conversion kit.

To my knowledge, there is no dedicated 'gas' or 'propane'.... hence the conversion kit

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
All gas stoves come with a conversion kit.....

I'll be doing the clothes dryer next... w/ conversion kit.

To my knowledge, there is no dedicated 'gas' or 'propane'.... hence the conversion kit

not totally true. all kitchen stoves have the ability, however many have stopped providing the conversion kits when new, save a little I think. now some gas grills are dedicated and you have to drill out for Methane.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016

Heather

I use Tijo from Distribudora Gonzalez 809-586-6945. he told me he can do your installs. Spanish speaker

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
not totally true. all kitchen stoves have the ability, however many have stopped providing the conversion kits when new, save a little I think. now some gas grills are dedicated and you have to drill out for Methane.

I just know that I converted here (RD) and in PA (USA)....
The RD stove was bought here

Gas isn't the same nozzle as propane.