fishing/golfing

windowman

Jan 20, 2002
We are coming to puerto plata next week looking to do some fishing from shore or small boat like panga fishing in the baja mexico wondering about bringing my own gear or is it worth while, sounds like the fishing is pretty slow or fished out! staying for 2 weeks would you bring your our clubs ro just rent what they have are they good or bad rentals? Thanks for the info this seems like a great board. Windowman.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Visit the DR1 Golf Page and go to the North Coast section. Among the golf courses mentioned is the one at Playa Grande. If you are a serious golfer, we highly recommend you visiting this golf course. It is one of the best in the Caribbean. Call ahead to book. You may also consider staying in one of the area hotels, such as Caribbean Village Playa Grande, Bahia Principe, or Catalina.

For fishing, check out the boats that may be available for trips at the excursion desk of your hotel.

Capt. Larry

Jan 1, 2002
Fishing is not very good from a small boat in the Puerta Plata area. It is not a case of being fished out, there is no bottom structure to hold the fish off shore and no mangroves or cat tails or sawgrass and few bays or river inlets where bait fish can breed and grow.

A little further west, around Luperon, Punta Rusia, Monte Cristi and the bay of Monzanilla, with a reasonable Spanish vocabilary, you can rent a small boat from the locals and fish the the reefs. On the outside, there are Wahoo, King Mackrell, small Snapper and Grouper, with a lot Barracuda on both sides.

There used to be a lot of Snook and Tarpon around the mangroves of Luperon and Monzanella but I have not heard of any being caught in those areas for the last five or six years.

Good fishing and keep a tight line.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Playa Dorada Golf course is in reasonable shape (had a lot of rain recently) & with luck should be in much better shape next week. Hire Clubs are not that great so if you CAN (without extra charges) bring your own.

Playa Grande course is VERY good but also expensive (about US $150 for round, cart & caddy - but not his tip). There is a company that operates a golfers day out down there & if you need me to find out more I will get the info for you. The web page is www.golf-adventures.org. If you need a partner round the course of Playa Dorada, give me a yell & we will meet up - any excuse for a day out as I am a member there. Afternoons is cheaper at RD $600 + RD $150 for caddy (but not tip) & you don't HAVE to take out a cart. Caddies to look for are : Rafael, Ignacio or Ramon as they all speak English. Antonio is MY caddy if we play together!!! - Grahame.

JayUKcomingtoDR

Jan 15, 2002
golfing

Hi all, are there any hotels that have free golf fees included, possibly near to the courses?
Grahame, Im out there next in March, would like to hook up if possible, definately have a round. It might be a long one, im a 22 handicapper at best!

Jay

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Jay.

Jack Tar Village USED to offer an all inclusive golf package but this moght have changed. Check it out with Thomsons, First Choice, Cosmos & JSB or through the local travel agents to see what is on offer now, If you don't want to play every day, you might find it less expensive to take one of the hotels NOT including green fees.

Yup, a round is ON. Graham will give you my Tel. No but we will most likely be in touch prior to you coming over - HEY, I might need some more Tesco's own chocolate covered biscuits!!

Tell Graham that Derek's is in serious need of his patronage!!

Grahame.

windowman

Jan 20, 2002
thanks

Thanks more the info everybody going to stick fishing rods in golf bag.what kind of rod should I take? 6ft with penn 320 reel is my first choice should I have some longer for casting? I guess I need a bunch of wire leaders and chrome lures, how much stuff will the locals have maybe I can give some stuff? Going to leave Calgary tomorrow morning can't wait. Will be staying at the allegro resort playa doroda leave a message at front desk ask for windowman, we be looking for a golf partner over next 2 weeks to play a couple of games with 18/20 handicap if thats all right! Thanks windowman.