Looking to buy a parrot

RickJames2000

Feb 19, 2014
I recently got married and my wife is now a resident in Miami with me. Everything is good. We are going to visit her parents in three weeks. I wanted to know where is good place to buy a parrot. I think that is a nice gift, plus I'm a bird lover.I was thinking of buying one here in America but the cheapest here is 350 and that just the start. I wanted to know is there a place in Santiago to buy a parrot. What are the prices? My Spanish isn't so great so I know if I go by myself, the price will skyrocket. What is the Dominican price?

May 29, 2006
Parrots are not easy pets if kept in a cage. They are very social with their own kind and actually go crazy if they have no company. This is a very bad bad idea. You can buy them on a street corner along with puppies and other pets raised in very bad conditions. The idea that a bird lover would support this industry is very odd to me.

I love Dominican parrots when they are tamed from the wild and left to come and go as they please. To put one in a cage seems very cruel to me. There are two(?) native species on the island, both green.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
be careful with owning a parrot. i had one testify against me in my divorce proceeding and i ended up in jail for contempt. when i got out i went looking for squawky and he was put in some type of parrot protection

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You may find them being sold along Duarte Hwy - but I'm pretty sure that buying and/or selling parrots in DR is illegal.

May 29, 2006
When I was in Sosua about ten years back, I was hanging out at a beach bar that had a very cute bartender. There was a parrot that was up on the shelves checking things out and she'd feed it bits of fruit once in awhile. I asked her,

--Esta tu mascota?
--No es mi amigo solo..

Aww

10399659_1090693025048_9630_n.jpg

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Silly idea. Something that lives as long as a parrot should never be given as a gift. And if these people are not young then the bird could easily outlive them. People who want parrots already have a parrot, if they don't then it is because they are not interested or can not commit. Animals in general are a terrible idea for a gift. And as mrntioned if you have just one, it will go nuts.
If you're looking for flashy gift points, which it appears is the case, take them to an A/I in Punta Cana for a while, that will be far more appreciated than a bird yo a Dom.

RickJames2000

Feb 19, 2014
Also, they already have a bird that's been living for at least 7 years. My wife helps me with my bird because she had one her whole life. My bird is a mustache parakeet. They are no pet stores or bird places that raise birds in captivity? I'm not looking to buy one off the highway.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Be careful buying a pre-owned parrot.

One lady bought a parrot that used to live in a whorehouse.
When she got the bird home, the bird said, "New house, new madam. Very nice."
Later on the teenage daughters returned from school. The parrot said, "New house, new madam, new prostitutes. Very nice."
And then came home the husband. The parrot said, "New house, new madam, new prostitutes, same customers. Hello Roger!"

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I recently got married and my wife is now a resident in Miami with me. Everything is good. We are going to visit her parents in three weeks. I wanted to know where is good place to buy a parrot. I think that is a nice gift, plus I'm a bird lover.I was thinking of buying one here in America but the cheapest here is 350 and that just the start. I wanted to know is there a place in Santiago to buy a parrot. What are the prices? My Spanish isn't so great so I know if I go by myself, the price will skyrocket. What is the Dominican price?

As you drive from Santiago towards SD on the Duarte Highway, there is a stretch of the road before the airport turnoff on the right side where there are a couple of small places selling parrots, and sometimes a guy selling young chics, like in the pic above. I once bought 2 of those for 5,000 pesos. The store El Arca in Bravo also sells parrots.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is illegal to possess, sell, trade or own Native Dominican Parrots whether captive bred or not. Other species not native to the DR are acceptable as far as I know provided that they are not listed in CITES and are captive bred. The owner must be able to prove where the Parrot originated, who it was purchased from, when it was purchased and the bird must be banded with a unique identification ring.

Parrots can easily live fore 50 - 60 years, some species longer. Parrots are social creatures. One parrot will bond with some human that it comes in regular contact with, not necessarily you the owner. Could be your wife, child or the maid - the bird chooses not you. Two parrots together will bond with each other and may tolerate people but that's not the same.

Parrots are loud, messy and require a diverse diet of fruits and vegetables vitamins and minerals. They get bored very easily and often begin pulling out their own feathers from stress and boredom. If you have not had smaller birds as pets before, starting with a parrot is not recommended. They can get sick just like people and finding a vet int he DR with experience may prove difficult. Birds acting as a vector can transmit serious diseases to people.

The fastest way to annoy your neighbor is to get a parrot. Ok maybe a rooster is first, but a parrot is definitely second. Birds require more work on a daily basis than a dog. Think carefully before acquiring a large bird and if you wish to give one as a gift, the recipient should be present, to choose the bird for themselves after learning as much as they can about the species and what they need to provide.

It is cost prohibitive to export a bird to another country should the owner move later on. Minimum 6 months quarantine (and associated costs), very expensive transportation charges and previously owned and bonded parrots do not make good re-gifts as they will not bond with their new owner, just squawk, bite and generally be miserable themselves and miserable to be around. Getting a bird out of the DR and into the US will be a nightmare. Getting a bird out of the US and into the DR likewise.

Proceed only after much more consideration.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I was in a pet supply store just yesterday on Ensanchez Libertad across from the hospital and down from the police station towards the Farmacia. They had a bird in one of the cages that was I believe green. I did not pay that much attention to it to be sure what it was, it was much larger then a sparrow, bigger then a parakeet.

This is of course - Santiago

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Forgot to mention, Parrots are chewers as their beaks grow continuously like a fingernail. If suitable gnaw-ables are not provided, they will find something to chew on - be that your wooden staircase, the ceiling, furniture or just about anything else you would probably not want to have chunks taken out of.

If not given the opportunity to wear down their beak, it will eventually grow and curve into their chest at which point, eating becomes a problem and some serious dremel tooling will be needed as a beak cannot be trimmed like a dog's toenail. The stress of the procedure would probably kill a bird that is not anesthetized.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am sorry, I just could not help it. Hope the OP gets the parrot they desire and does not have this experience:

[video=youtube;npjOSLCR2hE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=npjOSLCR2hE[/video]

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Deja Eso!! Commercialization of Parrots is leading to their extinction

The commercialization of the Dominican Parrot (Amazona ventralis) is leading to its extinction. Besides its natural habitat for ever decreasing the poaching of the nests and the general mishandling of the young has led to a massive decrease in the amount of birds in the wild. At this rate within a short time their will be none left.
The Dominican Parrot does not reproduce in captivity. It is monogamous and only has one partner in its life. When the poachers raid the nests that are usually at height and knock down the whole nest killing the majority of the chicks.
If you are in Santo Domingo and visit the Agora Mall the non profit ecological foundation Grupo Jaragua are promoting the campaign DEJA ESO or in English leave them alone! See their web site http://www.grupojaragua.org.do/dejaeso.html
They are supported by the US Embassy and the Humane Society International

Its important not to confuse the Dominican Parrot with the smaller Dominican Perico (Aratinga chloroptera). They are fairly common but probably not good to have as pets as well. They have pointed tails whilst the Parrot has a square tail.

If you want a parrot buy a Brazilian one that are not threatened.

May 29, 2006
Imported birds end up being released and then compete with native species. The possession of ANY parrot in the DR should be illegal.

May 29, 2006
The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill is a nice documentary on escaped parrot populations. Now that guy loves birds..

May 29, 2006
I would love to have a "friend" parrot that stops by for treats now and then. But I could never put one in a cage.