Seaweed

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I'm heading to Punta Cana in two weeks. Is the seaweed still a problem? I plan to stay at the Reserve. Thanks for any updates.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Just came back from Luxury Bahia Principe Ambar. They are cleaning the beach like crazy, so no problem at all. Even in Boca Chica (at least in Hamaca) it's not bad at all now.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
There is seaweed on the beach and in the water in Bavaro now. Not as bad as it was in the summer. They clean it off the beach. In some places, they use big machinery. It is not just workers with rakes and wheelbarrows.

The worse thing is that it is in the water. And, the currents seem to have changed somehow. They bring more sand in the water close to the beach. Some of the wide beaches have been reduced in width.

So, the water is dirty with seaweed and sand. Unless you go farther out. Not like it used to be. It changes some from week to week. So, what we say today might not be what it when you come.

It might also matter exactly where you are. We are not near Melia (Reserve), further north a few kilometers.,

Last edited:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
it is indeed a product ...good for things i always try to put some on my suit...

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Their is a breed of Sheep that only eat sea weed. Import them. Then we would have lamb chops in the D.R.