A New DR1 Forum?

Requires 3 votes, read first post prior to voting!

• YES: I object to the creation of the proposed forum

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • NO: I support the creation of the proposed forum

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • YES: I would request access

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • NO: I wouldn't request access

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I support a LIMITED OPEN forum

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • I support FULLY RESTRICTED forum

Votes: 10 19.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This poll was suggested by a forum member who expressed a desire to remain anonymous.

The following text is a word-for-word copy of his proposal.

Please note that the poll is multiple choice but anonymous, pick all that applies and then submit. You must pick three choices. Once the votes are in, they are final.

-----------

DR1 is considering a proposal for the creation of a new limited access general topic message board primarily targeted to and for use by Residents and Citizens of the Dominican Republic. This poll is an attempt to quantify the level of user interest/support for this concept. As with all message boards on DR1, participation in this new board will be voluntary, the threads will adhere to the general rules as they pertain to all message boards on this site, will be moderated and general user access will be restricted to some degree to ensure that the content remains focused on the subset of DR1 user community the new board is intended to serve.

Would you object to the creation of such a message board on DR1?
Yes: I object to the creation of this proposed message board
NO: I do not object/I support the creation of this proposed message board

Would you consider requesting access to the new message board if created?
Yes: I would consider requesting access
No: I would not request access​

Based on the proposed focus and scope of the new message board, do you feel that it would be most useful if the threads are readable by everyone with posting restricted to qualifying users (LIMITED OPEN) or do you feel that this new board would be more useful if it is fully restricted with access granted only to qualifying users (FULLY RESTRICTED)?

I support a LIMITED OPEN message board & thread model
I support FULLY RESTRICTED message board & thread model​

Thank you for offering your input.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I dont really understand the topic of the proposed new board.....
A board for residents and citizens ?? For real ? Do we need fo email cedula # ?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I dont really understand the topic of the proposed new board.....
A board for residents and citizens ?? For real ? Do we need fo email cedula # ?

Good question - how will we know if they are legal residents/citizens?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Has this arisen following the 'Roll Call' thread which has shown that very few of the regular posters are DR based most of the time?

I am not going to respond to the poll because I am indifferent on limiting access. There are posters who have lived here or visit and offer good opinion/comments and up to date information and I welcome that.

There are a few who come to DR from time to time and stay in one particular area and have many opinions, sometimes very negative on all of the country, its governance and it's people. This can provoke dismay to those of us who have chosen with due thought about our reasoning to relocate and reside here and who often have travelled around and experienced the good and the bad of developing DR more widely.

There is no easy solution other than a tougher more time consuming effort from moderators imo.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Should be an honor system based. I see a need as those who live here fulltime often do have very different perspective than those who visit.

No

There is a whole section on 'travel' and a visitors report may offer very useful information.

Were you the person requesting this change?

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
No, I did not request the change, but I can see the benefit of it as again those of us living here think different about things then the visitors do. I would also love to see a forum of just Dominicans (not Dom Yorks) speaking about various issues. Membership would be restricted to ethnic Dominicans raised on the island. Gringos should be allowed to lurk, but not comment so as to not disturb the flow of the conversation. The conversation should of course be in English still. This would allow gringos to become the fly on the wall and would allow for tremendous insight into the culture. I find it ironic that a forum about the DR often is so adverse/ hostile to the opinions of Dominicans that they rarely comment or stay. Just my 2 cents.

Terrific idea, mongoose! Many would benefit from such a forum. To paraphrase Groucho Marx, "I would prefer reading a forum that would never have me as a member."

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
........ I would also love to see a forum of just Dominicans (not Dom Yorks) speaking about various issues. Membership would be restricted to ethnic Dominicans raised on the island.......

Why not just join one of the existing message boards dedicated to Dominicans only?

Are you by chance familiar with the origin of DR1 and who it was intended for?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Why not create two separate forums?

One for residents, one for visitors.
I don't think that there would need to be any prerequisite to enter the residents one. I'm pretty sure that it will controlled by the members within. Imagine someone posting in the residents section that they are going to the Dominican! They won't last long!

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
I would also love to see a forum of just Dominicans (not Dom Yorks) speaking about various issues. Membership would be restricted to ethnic Dominicans raised on the island. Gringos should be allowed to lurk, but not comment so as to not disturb the flow of the conversation. The conversation should of course be in English still.

I think this is an interesting idea. I haven't met many ethnic Dominicans, raised on the island, who are fluent enough to have a discussion on a message board, so it might not be a cross-section but just an elite few who were educated in English. I am not sure THEY would have much interest in posting here.

I like the idea of a section for Dominicans in Spanish, it would be interesting, but many expats do not speak Spanish, which I personally see as a reflection of the divide between Dominicans and expats here.

I speak Spanish fluently, but learned it in Venezuela. I can see how people live here and never learn Spanish, though. Speaking Spanish hasn't made my experience any better, but it has made day-to-day life easier, I think.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Not quite sure what residents and citizens would discuss that a visitor would not be allowed to participate. When I was a visitor I enjoyed reading the posts of those who lived in rep dom. It helped me to make my decision to move here.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Oh right it's hard enough to keep members from blowing each other up in the OT forum now you want mods to check credentials at the door?

Too funny.:)

Not aimed at Nals

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Oh right it's hard enough to keep members from blowing each other up in the OT forum now you want mods to check credentials at the door?

Too funny.:)

Not aimed at Nals

LOL, and what about the residents who have not become "legal" yet? Will there be a third forum for them?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I would also love to see a forum of just Dominicans (not Dom Yorks) speaking about various issues. Membership would be restricted to ethnic Dominicans raised on the island. Gringos should be allowed to lurk, but not comment so as to not disturb the flow of the conversation

That will never happen, so you might as well stop wasting your time now.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Not sure why this has been posted as a poll, but let's get some clarity here.

An existing member asked me if we would consider a residents (supply proof of residency) only forum.
My response was very straight forward. Sure, you find me 25 active members that will participate and you moderate it and I'll open it.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I read the post again and it's not just a separate forum that is being asked for but a whole message board. :confused: Maybe they meant forum

Status
Not open for further replies.