Hotels near SDQ

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
Hello,

I have friends visiting who will be arriving late to SDQ and can't make the bus to Las Terrenas. Ive noticed before that the options around the airport are very limited, and I don't want to send them to BC. Any suggestions?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Hello,

I have friends visiting who will be arriving late to SDQ and can't make the bus to Las Terrenas. Ive noticed before that the options around the airport are very limited, and I don't want to send them to BC. Any suggestions?

Cabana !! :nervous:

or a Taxi share if they coming on one of the AF flights, there are always people heading to LT (there is a fb page and a website).

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
How late is late and when is the first bus the next day? Also what is the cost of the bus vs. cab fare? By the time they take a taxi to a hotel from the airport, pay for a hotel room, take a taxi back to the bus terminal in the morning.........perhaps they are better off getting a taxi or car service to take them from SDQ to Las Terrenas. If they don't wish to travel in a taxi the middle of the night and their flight gets in after 1:00am they might be better off camping out at the airport for a few hours and then taking a taxi at 5:00am or so.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hello,

If I am not mistaken doesn't the bus for Las Terrenas leave from Santo Domingo Centro? If so let them take a taxi to la zona or gazcue to spend the night. Wake up, have breakfast and they will be on their way.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
If I am not mistaken doesn't the bus for Las Terrenas leave from Santo Domingo Centro? If so let them take a taxi to la zona or gazcue to spend the night. Wake up, have breakfast and they will be on their way.

there is a parada at the entrance of the highway. Parada Samana, not too far from SDQ.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
there is a parada at the entrance of the highway. Parada Samana, not too far from SDQ.

Forgot, that would be the Caribe Tours bus. Isn't there also a bus that leaves SD centro that goes to Las Terrenas?

Sitting here rocking in my ugly chair and wondering what you know about a cabana near SDQ? gotcha.....

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Forgot, that would be the Caribe Tours bus. Isn't there also a bus that leaves SD centro that goes to Las Terrenas?

Sitting here rocking in my ugly chair and wondering what you know about a cabana near SDQ? gotcha.....

The nearest one would be Cabanas Son which is after the entrance to the Samana Highway as map.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/plac...2!3m1!1s0x8eaf89f1107ea5ab:0xd6c587b82715c164

No experience of this one I'm afraid.....easy to spot on the way to and from airport.......next one is Cabanas Espana which is not so nice but a good selection is available at San Isidro which would be just as close after a short trip up Charles de Gaulle.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I had to see it once ;)

LMAO :laugh:

Went to one on San Isidro (i think it was Alli) after getting to SD at 2 AM, I loved it, it looked like a tacky version of Las Vegas and was ridiculously cheap. Crashed for a few hours and I was on my way to LT the next morning. I am fearless :bandit:

With the kids, I just bite the bullet and take a taxi (or often get a ride), regardless of the time I get to SDQ.

Caba%C3%B1as-San-Isidro_65.jpg

Last edited:

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
Thanks for the replies

They are arriving at 1am, I don't want them to travel at night after a long flight with a stop from Amsterdam. They need a hotel and then go the morning after to the stop on the Las Americas highway. Seeing the Choice Hotel at 119$ and the busfare to Las Terrenas at around 8$ it might be a better idea to get a 175$ taxi after all. They are a couple and a bit 'scared' of DR, so a cabana is maybe a bit to adventurous. I think it is very weird that there are no ~50$ options around the airport.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I run a hotel in the Colonial Zone, so I have a vested interest. But I honestly think there is really only one option, and that is to book a hotel in the Colonial Zone, and get the hotel to arrange an airport pick-up. The airport has had a lot of problems during the night, and Santo Domingo generally is having a crime wave. The next day, the only feasible bus to put your parents on to Las Terrenas is the 1.40pm departure, it leaves from near to Duarte and they would have to go there to pick up the bus to make sure they get seats together. All the other buses are the 25/30 seaters, and they cram people in. The 1.40pm departure has air conditioning and is a proper sized bus. So, they will get a safe first night, be able to have breakfast leisurely in the morning then take off at about 12 midday after check-out and be at the bus station to pick up the bus.

Colonial Zone hotels are almost certainly the best value on the island. Mine is 4 star and we are currently offering a rate for 2 including breakfast, Wifi, air conditioning, use of a gym, a pool, jacuzzi of just US$ 69 plus tax. I'm happy to give you more information if you PM me.

I would seriously advise against trying to get your parents from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas during the night, even in a private taxi. The road is quite dangerous at night, and there are a lot of cattle straying onto it, as well as treacherous bends.

We all like to save money, but honestly, please take my advice and play this one safe. If anything happened to your family it would ruin their holiday and you would never forgive yourself. Remember, when they arrive, they will be at their most vulnerable as they will have their passports, their money and all their valuables with them.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
That bus stops at the parades at the toll road entrance.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I run a hotel in the Colonial Zone, so I have a vested interest. But I honestly think there is really only one option, and that is to book a hotel in the Colonial Zone, and get the hotel to arrange an airport pick-up. The airport has had a lot of problems during the night, and Santo Domingo generally is having a crime wave. The next day, the only feasible bus to put your parents on to Las Terrenas is the 1.40pm departure, it leaves from near to Duarte and they would have to go there to pick up the bus to make sure they get seats together. All the other buses are the 25/30 seaters, and they cram people in. The 1.40pm departure has air conditioning and is a proper sized bus. So, they will get a safe first night, be able to have breakfast leisurely in the morning then take off at about 12 midday after check-out and be at the bus station to pick up the bus.

Colonial Zone hotels are almost certainly the best value on the island. Mine is 4 star and we are currently offering a rate for 2 including breakfast, Wifi, air conditioning, use of a gym, a pool, jacuzzi of just US$ 69 plus tax. I'm happy to give you more information if you PM me.

I would seriously advise against trying to get your parents from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas during the night, even in a private taxi. The road is quite dangerous at night, and there are a lot of cattle straying onto it, as well as treacherous bends.

We all like to save money, but honestly, please take my advice and play this one safe. If anything happened to your family it would ruin their holiday and you would never forgive yourself. Remember, when they arrive, they will be at their most vulnerable as they will have their passports, their money and all their valuables with them.

I fully agree with your suggestion.

Even if the hotel by the airport were chosen, you still have to get to the end of the Samana highway and there is no guarantee of a seat on the direct Las Terrenas buses...quite often they fill up quickly in Santo Domingo. So it would have to be Carib Tours from their depot there to Samana getting off at Sanchez.......but since the Sanchez stop is about 1km from the Las Terrenas turn you have to ask the driver to drop you there. Then you take the guaguas over the hills and their stop in LT is a 1km form the centre and beaches so another fare is needed and probably this time motoconcho. If they don't speak Spanish that is a nightmare to negotiate.

I hope the OP reads you post and mine.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
may i add that any hotel that arranges a pick up at the airport is likely to arrange the same guy to take them directly to the bus station and show them how to get the ticket, etc. this is an example of when I find dominican service to be above average. 40 bucks to airport to CZ hotel. 70-100 bucks for decent hotel. 5-10 bucks for easy ride to bus station.

BTW, can a person really get a decent taxi from sdq to las terrenas for 175 bucks?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
may i add that any hotel that arranges a pick up at the airport is likely to arrange the same guy to take them directly to the bus station and show them how to get the ticket, etc. this is an example of when I find dominican service to be above average. 40 bucks to airport to CZ hotel. 70-100 bucks for decent hotel. 5-10 bucks for easy ride to bus station.

BTW, can a person really get a decent taxi from sdq to las terrenas for 175 bucks?

200 US daytime is what is asked at SDQ

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I would sugest to stay in Quality Hotel, is very close to the Airport and wont take more than 5 minutes to get there, and also from there will be very close to the Caribe Tour Bus Station that is at the entrance of the new carretera to Samana. You just need to check the schedule for the buses from there so they wont need to go to Santo Domingo as they are going to Samana.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Yes, there is a Quality Inn about 15 minutes away from the airport. From there the next morning they can take a taxi to the small bus stop just before the entrance to the Samana Highway. Here, they can pick up the bus that will take them to Las Terrrenas. Probably cost about $25-30usd for taxi and the bus in about $10usd. If you need the phone number for Transporte Las Terrenas let me know.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Yes, there is a Quality Inn about 15 minutes away from the airport. From there the next morning they can take a taxi to the small bus stop just before the entrance to the Samana Highway. Here, they can pick up the bus that will take them to Las Terrrenas. Probably cost about $25-30usd for taxi and the bus in about $10usd. If you need the phone number for Transporte Las Terrenas let me know.

........the bus is full that day.......what next?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Yes, there is a Quality Inn about 15 minutes away from the airport. From there the next morning they can take a taxi to the small bus stop just before the entrance to the Samana Highway. Here, they can pick up the bus that will take them to Las Terrrenas. Probably cost about $25-30usd for taxi and the bus in about $10usd per person. If you need the phone number for Transporte Las Terrenas let me know. The bus leave SD at 8:30, 9:30 and 11AM, however with the cost of the hotel at $119 PLUS TAX, which is another 15% + or - you would be better off booking a private car to pick you up. The last time I checked it was around $180usd plus at least $20 tip. I have the name of a gentleman from LT who will pick them up . It is Taxi Turistico, Guiirito, Tel. 829-872-8621. That is your best bet for door to door. I would guestimate that if their plane is on time it will take them at least 30-40 minutes to get out of the airport with there luggage. You can pay the driver in US Dollars. Good luck.