"African Drone Bite" victim in Higuey

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
just when I thought I had this country figured out along comes this. Now I am worried all over again. Hopefully it is spread by a mosquito so I am safe covered in deet

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
elephantiasis?

Yes, caused by the bite of a mosquito or black fly that transmitted a parasitic roundworm.

Sorry, my background is in biology with graduate work in parasitology.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
yup drones....or what we used to call watchman bee" you disturb the nest u get stung...peroid..".sentry bee"

KITTU

May 13, 2015
I am ready to donate few bucks for this man to get operated. But i will never give him that money directly...Any ngo to take up his case?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just when I thought I had this country figured out along comes this. Now I am worried all over again. Hopefully it is spread by a mosquito so I am safe covered in deet

it is spread by mosquitoes and present in DR.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Wow, now its appearing in Hig?ey. That type of stuff was mostly relegated to the border region. Could unchecked Haitian be the culprit for the spreading to the eastern extremity? Same thing happened with Malaria, which was erradicated in most of DR and now its making a comback. Polio was erradicated in the 1970's and about a decade or so ago it reappeared among agricultural workers in Constanza or Jarabacoa. A few days ago a few prisoners at Hig?ey's prison died from Tuberculosis, supposedly after two Haitians infected with the disease were imprisoned there. Everyone knows how Cholera reached the DR... the list is long.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
tuberculosis was/is alive and well in DR with relatively high incidence rate in prisons due to overpopulation and poor/late diagnosis. prison in higuey had some bad press lately due to inmate deaths. the problem with tuberculosis is that is has mutated and gained resistance to treatment. in bad cases it make take 2 years to clear up and side effects of administered drugs can be very severe. TB is raising from the ashes in many countries so i am not sure whether haitians are a significant factor at play here, other than the fact that they are usually the poorest and exercise less general hygiene (in terms of their dwellings, so to speak) than dominicans.

yes about malaria, it used to be limited to the most western provinces and many cases were imported from haiti. but today it is most common in most dense population areas (SD and DN). since malaria, dengue and elephantiasis are all spread by mosquitoes i wonder if the increased number of cases is related to climate changes?

as far as polio goes it was a one off outbreak:
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/feb/09/opinion/la-oe-orent-polio-20110209
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5039a3.htm

cholera, on the other hand, has been brought here from haiti without a doubt.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Malaria presence on the island.

In the DR everything in dark blue away from the border provinces was recontaminated within the last decade or so. In the Punta Cana region the first malaria cases ever were reported within this decade, if I'm not mistaken. Even some of the tourists got infected. Everyone knows what demographic introduced that disease there, but most people are afraid to say anything out of fear of being called a racist.

Pf_mean_2010_DOM.png

In Haiti malaria coverage has remained pretty much unchanged since colonial times. Shows how much the Haitian political class cares about their people.

Pf_mean_2010_HTI.png

Most diseases that have been erradicated in the DR was under the Trujillo and Balaguer governments. In the governments after Balaguer the amount if diseases that were erradicated decreased. From about the mid-2000 decade, which is when the massive illegal immigration from Haiti began to become massive, diseases long erradicated started to reappear.

Haiti's government has never taken measures to rid their populations of diseases that can be erradicated. Now its impossible due to its weakness, but during Duvalier's dictatorship they could had cleaned their side of the island of many diseases but decided not to do that. Their efforts were on dismanteling Haiti's production capacity leading to a collapse in the 1980's.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For comparison's sake, here is a map of population distribution and density in the DR. You can make a mental overlap between this map and the malaria map. Its clear that most of the population lives outside widespread malaria infection areas, but that might change for reasons everyone knows.

image.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
malaria map above if from 2010. this year: http://acento.com.do/2015/actualida...sos-de-malaria-en-las-ultimas-cuatro-semanas/
Los 12 casos aut?ctonos son residentes de Santo Domingo Este (4), la provincia La Altagracia (3), Distrito Nacional (2), Santo Domingo Norte (2) y Dajab?n (1), seg?n el bolet?n.

i do not think it is racist to claim that the presence of the malaria in DR is connected to haitian. most of cases are "imported" from there anyways. local cases are more frequent in densely populated SD and DN, as per link above.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yes, caused by the bite of a mosquito or black fly that transmitted a parasitic roundworm.

Sorry, my background is in biology with graduate work in parasitology.

No, no, no....we cant have facts......

Ah my bad, we can : the haitians genetically modified the black fly and mosquito to contaminate dominicans......;) duuh.