Using traveler's insurance?

May 29, 2006
I decided to pay extra on the plane ticket this time for traveler's insurance. Anyone know how this works? Do you have to pay upfront and get reimbursed, or do you get some kind of policy number you can use?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Depends on the facility. Larger hospitals may work directly with the insurance company. Many (most) places you pay upfront and then file for reimbursement.

Bob K

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
What does Travelers Insurance on a plane ticket have to do with Hospitals? I'm totally confused on this one.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Here's how it works:

1) You get hurt
2) You or someone else immediately contacts the insurer to report the injury and need to use the insurance
3) The insurer authorizes you to seek a medical diagnosis depending on the nature of the injury.
4) The insurer immediately starts looking for a reason to deny you coverage (Post claim underwriting)
5) You see a doctor who probably asks for payment in advance at least initially.
6) You report the diagnosis to the insurer and they either say sorry we can't help, or we'll cover you.
7) You ask if you have to pay first or if they, the insurer, will pay directly
8) They answer your question and tell you to return home as soon as possible for further treatment.

Not all travel insurance policies are a waste of time and money, but many are. Most policies contain lots exclusions, conditions and many ways to disqualify someone from coverage. Most polices are not really activated until you call and report a claim. Fail to notify the insurer quickly enough and that may be enough of a reason to deny payment. If you are covered, they will pay to get you stable and then insist that you return home for follow up treatment. Most policies will reimburse for an earlier flight home. Most policies do not cover you when you engage in "risky" activities, like drinking too much, climbing waterfalls, paragliding or hanging out at the car wash etc.

Plan to have a means to pay for medical treatment without insurance if needed. Read the actual policy which is usually available to be downloaded from a website somewhere. Otherwise call and ask for a copy of the policy. The sales pitch to convince you to purchase a policy never contains all of the exclusions and limits. Do not assume that because you have paid, you will be covered. Be very, very careful if asked to fill out a medical questionnaire when purchasing travel Health insurance. Eg. If there is a question asking if you have undergone tests for a heart condition in the last two years, and your doctor has taken your blood pressure, the answer to the question is then YES.

If travel insurance for you is limited to trip cancellation, delay and lost luggage, there are also a whole set of conditions that will not be covered. Buyer beware.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
I decided to pay extra on the plane ticket this time for traveler's insurance. Anyone know how this works? Do you have to pay upfront and get reimbursed, or do you get some kind of policy number you can use?

There is a difference between the types of "insurance" you can buy there is trip cancellation and lost luggage and there is medical coverage. The type I buy is medical and it has no deductible and comes with an ID card and policy number and phone numbers, collect and toll free. In the event of illness or injury head to the nearest center that works with these types of policies. Contact your insurer or have someone else contact them if you are incapacitated.They will contact the health care provider or divert you to another one that they know they can deal with. The insurance company will authorize your treatment, now depending om your plan you may have type pay up front or they may be direct billed. I opted for direct bill but I also carry a credit card that would cover my costs up front if needed. Research in advance through your insurance provider the preferred medical facilities in the area you will be staying. Your health and safety is important so make sure the company you are dealing with is reputable and has a good client satisfaction rating, google them. I am retired from the federal gov't and get my first 40 days away for free and pay to top it up with the same company which is the rep for all retired gov't employees in Canada.

May 29, 2006
It said it covers medical evacuation, injuries and repatriation of remains in case of death, along with some travel problems. It's tgroungh Continental.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Not sure about your specific coverage or the company that you are dealing with but this is a good example.

Medical evacuation - what does this mean to you? What does this mean to the company? Want to bet your idea and theirs differs? It probably means a commercial airline flight from where you are to where you live on the first available flight(s) and not necessarily a direct flight or even one with efficient and convenient flight changes. The proof is in the details aka the policy.

nomadic

Nov 3, 2015
Can I ask how much you paid for the insurance?
Mine is normal travel insurance, I paid 25 pound for 30 days, and has emergency medical attention cover of 10 million gbp.
Most items on the insurance has 100 pound excess but I dont mind. Its just for peace of mind.

May 5, 2007
It said it covers medical evacuation, injuries and repatriation of remains in case of death, along with some travel problems. It's tgroungh Continental.

It depends completely on whether you selected the insurance to be primary or secondary if you selected primary they will work with provider
and pay up front, if secondary you have to pay and then get reimbursed