short-term cost of living

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
A while ago there was some debate about the amount a person needs per month to live in the DR. I'm hoping to re-open that debate a bit, to help me figure out how much expenses would be for a short-term living arrangment (like say, a 3 month visit).

So, if a person were not renting a regular apartment, but rather staying in the cheapest hotels they could find (someone tell me this is possible?). Living reasonably, not staying at resorts and the like, but wanting to keep a bit more mobility rather than renting a fixed address.

How much do you experienced and learned folks think would be needed on a monthly basis to get by?
<sup>(like, how much cash in my pocket would I need if I were coming for 3 months and didn't have any job lined up? Could it be done on under $10,000cdn?)</sup>

Last edited:

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
Well if you stay at one of the Domicican Hotels
Like the smaller ones like scotia near parque enriquillo
you can usally negotiate a monthly price of around us $15-19
a day for sleep all nite.
If you want to pay a lil more a Hotel like the Hotel Cervantes have studio aparts rooms for rent on monthly basis best way is to check around.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Living Cheap for Short Term

US$15-19 is a good range for hotel. Cheaper hotels are avaiable, but in this range you can get something safe, cleanliness good to average, quiet enough to sleep in.

For meals, go to the ones that serve Domican meals. Their portions are large, tasty, and cheap. You get alot of food for around RD$50.

Santiago, the 2nd largest city, is better for hotel accomodations for the money. Both within above range, but Santiago prices are lower for more.

There are many small Dominican eating places. Best is to find those that serve buffet style or from a serving counter.

Buy a bottle of Purrissima (or close to that) and use it to purify your drinking water. The ratio is about 8 drops to a gallon, shake and drink. Get a few of the small bottles so you have water to carry with you. Fill one of the small bottles, put in 2 or 3 drops, shake and drink.

Stick to Dominican drinks. Take guaguas, public cars, and buses wherever you go. Ask the locals about any services you need.

JayUKcomingtoDR

Jan 15, 2002
re- cost of living

When i was last in the DR, i saw apartments, with pool access going for $250 a month, and some for sale for $20000! is this right or was i drunk.
When i come i was thinking of spending 6 months there. Would it be financially viable to spend a month at a time in 1 place,renting an apartment for that month, then moving on. Which 6 places would people recommend i base myself to get a good, full view of dominican life.?

Jay

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I stayed in an apart hotel near the national Palace and it was about $40 a day..small fridge and cooking facilities..Nice place..small cafe and with in walking to Zona Colonial. Its a little bit of a walk but you get to know the country and the people better by walking and stopping in a Colmado for a beer every once in a while. I'm sure they have monthly rated...they don't really speak much english there but thats half the fun! Its aApart hotel Millenium..(809) 688-5875

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
What about weekly rates for someone with less time to spend but still wanting to stay at a few different places to get some variety of exprience? Would this be possible for apartments, or would one have to stay in hotels for shorter stays?
:)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Lazy Girl

I have read your posts on DR1.Are you coming to Santo Domingo? Are you coming by yourself? You sound young,without much of an idea of what to "expect" when you arrive.Are you from Dominican heritage? What do you want to do when you are here? Do you need a place to stay? Do you need help paying "Expenses?Let us know so we can advise you.This town can be dangerous if you don,t know what you are doing!Your "Pal", Criss Colon..PS,I am tall,blond hair,have a lot of money,and a new "Jepetta" Lets Rock & Roll!!!Dominican women with no money find me "Very" attractive "Love Ya!!

LazyGirl

Jan 12, 2002
Criss Colon

Well, I was born in DR, grew up in Venezuela, and now I live in NYC, I am thinking about moving to Santo Domingo by next summer and I do have family there, just don't want to stay with them 'cause they are too strict, I'm a free person and I like to do whatever I like. I have money saved up but the more I could save the better. And sorry, not really attracted to blond fair skin men...but on the other hand I am (I mean, who's not) attracted to money.

P.S.
How come only "poor" women are attracted to you?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
lazygirl, other options

If not the money, can you think of another reason why women would date a 500 lbs albino gorilla?
On the other hand, if you are slim, beautiful, 25 or under, straight hair and tanned skin, you may want to check me out in santiago or simply wait for Missing_DR to come back in a few months. He is more free spirited than I am, he never uses condoms. hehehehe

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It was a joke!

He vivido en Valencia,y Maracay! Fui al Colegio International de Carabobo. Y tu mi amor,que lo que? Hablamos manana tengo que irme,Chao! "Tomasito"