Getting from SDG airport to Hig?ey?

May 29, 2006
I'm coming in Wednesday afternoon. Should I try to get a shuttle to PC first or backtrack to Santo Domingo and then take the bus from there?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It is a hassle at SDQ finding any transport except for taxis to get you to the main road, Las Americas, just to get a bus to la Romana and thence to Higuey . The motor conchos often congregate just past the airport building but not much use if you have much luggage . Once you get to the autopista it is a piece of cake , just stop a la Romana bus..the Higuey bus may stop for you but it is only a possibility .

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Please mention at what time your flight arrives at SDQ. It will provide a better window of the options for the posters to assistyou to get to Higuey.

Getting to the Las Americas autopista from the airport is no big deal. However, flagging down a bus having passenger space at the autopista going to La Romana or to Higuey is a gamble and a risk. You can pick up the Higuey bus in Santo Domingo at Parque Enriquiilo, but then you have to travel from the airport to Santo Domingo. Depending on traffic and road conditions the transit time from the park to Higuey will be about 2-2.5 hours.

Maybe one of the local posters familiar or from the Boca Chica area may have a better transit solution for you.

Regards,

PJT

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
yes you will need a taxi .there is no alternative but good luck when you ask the man at the newly created taxi desk that you only want to go to the autopista.. I do not know what the response will be but they will ask for US$3o to go to Parque Enrquillo.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'm coming in Wednesday afternoon. Should I try to get a shuttle to PC first or backtrack to Santo Domingo and then take the bus from there?

If I were you I would arrange an airport taxi before you arrive. Go on line and google and you will find many listed for airport pick ups. This way you have an established price and no hassles.

May 29, 2006
yes you will need a taxi .there is no alternative but good luck when you ask the man at the newly created taxi desk that you only want to go to the autopista.. I do not know what the response will be but they will ask for US$3o to go to Parque Enrquillo.

That would be fine... I've got about 100 pounds of luggage this time..

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Main Question is if he is going to Punta Cana to a Resort or Higuey Town. I think his best option is try to Catch the Express bus from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana, If Im not wrong they have last service at 5:00 pm, so if he takes a taxi from the Airport for sure will get on time to the bus stop. Same if he is going to Higuey town I think is better go to the Bus Stop in Santo Domingo.

May 29, 2006
Going to Hig?ey as in the place with the basilica.. I'll go to Santo Domingo. There's a cheap hotel right by the bus station if I miss the last bus..

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Going to Hig?ey as in the place with the basilica.. I'll go to Santo Domingo. There's a cheap hotel right by the bus station if I miss the last bus..

If its just you , you can probably piggyback on w a tour bus(van) taking tourists to Punta Cana /Bavaro, cost would probably be in the $50.00- $75.00. If you took a taxt from the terminal to the main road, you might wait hours for a bus that has space for you, and even then they might not stop.