Dual citizenship for children born in USA

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
I see the new law makes it easy for children born in the USA to also become Dominican citizens if one of the parents is a Dominican citizen. I understand the USA birth certificate needs to be translated into Spanish. Does this need to be Apositiled also?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Translate the certificate into Spanish and apostille it. Dominican parent takes it to the Civil Registry in the DR or overseas with cedula of Dominican parent and a Dominican birth certificate will be issued and with that can get Dominican cedula.

Matilda

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
For anyone who lives in the US, go to a Dominican Consulate and they will translate and apostille the birth certificate for $100 each. All transactions can be done there.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
For anyone who lives in the US, go to a Dominican Consulate and they will translate and apostille the birth certificate for $100 each. All transactions can be done there.

hmmm, only a document issuing authority or their designated representatives AND that state's department of state can legally apostille a document.

How can a foreign government or consulate authenticate the signatures and stamps of a certificate which they did not issue? Especially in the US were a birth certificates and the signatures/seals) can originate from over 50 states/territories with numerous signatures from each state. Impossible to imagine... unless the DR Consulate is pencil whipping it for $100 USD- which I would not put it pass them- only to potentially bite you in the butt down the road.

Here is an example (link) for apostille for New York documents:http://www.dos.ny.gov/corps/apostille.html. Cost for apostille, in NY, is only $10 USD and is offical and legal.

Translate the certificate into Spanish and apostille it. Dominican parent takes it to the Civil Registry in the DR or overseas with cedula of Dominican parent and a Dominican birth certificate will be issued and with that can get Dominican cedula.

The correct sequence is apostille, and then legal translation- because the apostille becomes an addendum to the birth certificate and also must be translated if not in Spanish.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
hmmm, only a document issuing authority or their designated representatives AND that state's department of state can legally apostille a document.

How can a foreign government or consulate authenticate the signatures and stamps of a certificate which they did not issue? Especially in the US were a birth certificates and the signatures/seals) can originate from over 50 states/territories with numerous signatures from each state. Impossible to imagine... unless the DR Consulate is pencil whipping it for $100 USD- which I would not put it pass them- only to potentially bite you in the butt down the road.

The correct sequence is apostille, and then legal translation- because the apostille becomes an addendum to the birth certificate and also must be translated if not in Spanish.

Here is an example (link) for apostille for New York documents:http://www.dos.ny.gov/corps/apostille.html. Cost for apostille, in NY, is only $10 USD and is offical and legal.
The Consulate in Boston sent my documents out for the Apostille and the translation. I probably paid a little more than if I had done it myself, but it was worth it. One visit to drop it off, and back again about a week later and everything was waiting for me.

Sent from my SM-E700H using Tapatalk

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012

A person first must go to the Dominican Consulate to get the birth certificate translated then they
notarize it, the Dominican Consulate will then send it to the State to get it apostille, then the
Consulate mails the person the documents.

If you do not go through the Dominican Consulate first, the Dominican government will not acknowledge the document.

Everything will be taking care of at the Dominican Consulate, they have translators.

I know because this is what I had to do for some documents. Yes, I paid $100 a piece.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012

Delete.Double post.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
The Consulate in Boston sent my documents out for the Apostille and the translation. I probably paid a little more than if I had done it myself, but it was worth it. One visit to drop it off, and back again about a week later and everything was waiting for me.

I recently witnessed the Dominican Consulate in M*a*i, FL "apostille" and translate a out-of-state US university degree/diploma, while he waited, for $125USD. That feat was completed that afternoon and only with a copy (no originals) of the diploma and no transcript. Impossible to correctly and legitimately do. The document was definitely NOT authenticated- like I said they are known to pencil whip processes for the income stream $$$. I jokingly told the individual he should had "photoshopped" the degree into a Phd.

If a individual wants a bogusly authenticated/apostilled birth certificate residing in the archives of the Dominican civil registry (Junta Central Electoral de la Rep?blica Dominicana (JCE) roll the dice- every subsequent event, based on the first, will only be equally defective.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I can only speak from my experience. The receipt for the Apostille from the Secretary of State was the same as the one that I had received when I sent another document to them myself.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
A person first must go to the Dominican Consulate to get the birth certificate translated then they
notarize it, the Dominican Consulate will then send it to the State to get it apostille, then the
Consulate mails the person the documents.

If you do not go through the Dominican Consulate first, the Dominican government will not acknowledge the document.

Everything will be taking care of at the Dominican Consulate, they have translators.

I know because this is what I had to do for some documents. Yes, I paid $100 a piece.

Yes, the consulate has the legal translators- No, documents were not actually apostilled. You get what you inspect, not what you expect. What was apostilled was the notarization, not the documents. Misconception on their part. No way a notary or consulate can authenticate documents. The state department vouched (apostilled) for the notarization. A case of "Who's on first" .

The process, if an individual wishes to be on the up and up, 100% legit is to obtain your own apostille (cheaper), and then have it legally translated at the DR consulate. Only their registered (with the DR ministry) translators can do this. Most consulates in the US have the legal translators in-house (for English), others will refer you to one.

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
I just checked with a company and they want to charge $225 to do have each birth certificate apostilled....seems way too much and then to pay for translation!!!!!

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I just checked with a company and they want to charge $225 to do have each birth certificate apostilled....seems way too much and then to pay for translation!!!!!
There are quite a few 3rd party companies out there that offer this service at a very inflated rate. If you are in the States, all you have to do is obtain your birth certificate, mail it to the Secretary of State in the State the document was issued to receive the Apostille (instructions can be found on the State's website ), and then follow these instructions from the Dominican Consulate website for mailing them in, or visit your local consulate if there is one close by.

Translations

DESCRIPTION

The Consular Office provides translation services from ENGLISH to SPANISH for documents to be used in the Dominican Republic.

Translations made by the Consular Office do not require an Apostille to be valid in the Dominican Republic.

REQUIRIMENTS

All documents must be original and Apostilled.

PROCESSING TIME

Between 5 and 15 working days depending on date of travel, prior requests and staff availability.

FEE US$95.00 per page

COMMENTS

All documents can be submitted by mail.
This Consular Section admits only Money Orders payable to:
Embassy of the Dominican Republic
1715 22nd Street NW
Washington, DC 20008

Applications must include a self-addressed stamped envelope (size 9" x 13") .

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
Thanks...was hoping to get this process done sooner than later as wife n girls leaving for Santo Domingo right after Thanksgiving. We will be going there in the summer so will start the process now here and get it done there in the summer!

Pup

Sep 27, 2013
You will need to get a certified birth certificate, and for around $10 dollars you can get it apostilled at the secretary of state.Take this to the dr and for less than 1000 pesos you can get it translated and notarized. this is how I had it done to become a dominican citizen. keep in mind when you submit it for the citizenship process you won't get the birth certificate back.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I would advise anyone to call the Dominican Consulate before doing anything. Remember, what was permissable before may NOT be permissable now as rules change.

The only thing I do is offer advise depending on my experience. It is up to the individual to decide
what she/he wants to do.

Last edited:

Pup

Sep 27, 2013
I would advise anyone to call the Dominican Consulate before doing anything. Remember, what was permissable before may NOT be permissable now as rules change.

The only thing I do is offer advise depending on my experience. It is up to the individual to decide
what she/he wants to do.

Why do you always insist that you have to go to the dominican consulate/embassy? Is it because you got ripped off so you want everyone else to get ripped off too?
OP can call them to confirm what they need for the process, but nothing has to be done there. The apostille is from the state, if that had to be done at the consulate then it could also be done in the dr, but it can't. Yes, you can get it translated and notarized there, but it can also be done in the dr and it is the same thing because it has to be done by the dominican republic.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Why do you always insist that you have to go to the dominican consulate/embassy? Is it because you got ripped off so you want everyone else to get ripped off too?
OP can call them to confirm what they need for the process, but nothing has to be done there. The apostille is from the state, if that had to be done at the consulate then it could also be done in the dr, but it can't. Yes, you can get it translated and notarized there, but it can also be done in the dr and it is the same thing because it has to be done by the dominican republic.

For the same reason that you are insisting that the OP bypass the Dominican Consulate. Everyone
can post what they want and it is up the OP to decide what he/she wants to do. Your advice
is not above everyone else's.

I went through the Dominican Consulate and so that is what I posted, you posted
otherwise so let him decide. I am not insisting, I was quoted and I responded.

Let the OP make up hi/her own mind.

Last edited:

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
Can I go to a county court house for the birth certificates to be appostilled or do I need to send it to Tallahassee which is far for me as I am in Miami..