Book store around punta Cana

Mehlis

Nov 14, 2015
Long shot...Looking for a book store around Punta Cana which sells kids books in spanish. Stuff written in Spanish by Latino authors rather than all of the translated english books? Is there anywhere to purchase these around Punta Cana? Thank - Michelle

As an alternative, can you recommend an online store located in any country that will ship to the U.S.? 7, 10, and 13 year old in Spanish immersion school and want to find (and ideally browse) books written in Spanish for kids.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not really. The Supermercado Nacional in Punta Cana Village has a book section with some children's books, but it is a very limited selection indeed. You could also try the La Sirena department store in Higuey or Jumbo in La Romana.

Unless anyone else has a better suggestion, the nearest decent place for buying children's books in Spanish would be Libreria Cuesta on 27 de Febrero/Lincoln avenue in Santo Domingo.

Having said that, children's books in Spanish that were actually written in Spanish are a rarity. I've been on a long quest to encourage my son to read in Spanish as well as in English but most good children's books we find end up being translations from English and other languages. When I've asked adult Spanish speakers who read as children which books they recall reading, they also tend to mention classics translated from English or French.

For young adults, Carlos Ruiz Zaf?n and Isabel Allende would be contemporary exceptions.

For online purchases, Amazon has a selection of books in Spanish. http://goo.gl/xyA569

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Quite a bit of demand for books, especially children's books. Perhaps, a business opportunity for someone that can turn this into a retail business?