Bring tv on a luggage

jpjoejoepink

Nov 16, 2015
I'm going to D.R in Jan 2nd, through Jetblue, I have a 32inch tv that I want to take with me and put it in the luggage. I don't know if once I arrive they will check my luggage. I was going to send it through a shipping company but they are charging me $175. I also wanted to put it in the tank and send it through the shipping company but I really don't know what to do. Please help. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We brought one, the same size, in our luggage. We haven't had our luggage checked in so many years that I can't remember the last time, at least 20 years, maybe more.

Aug 6, 2006
I had no difficulty bringing in a 25" flatscreen in my luggage a couple of years ago through SDQ. I also brought a small DVD player. Make sure the set you bring will receive NTSC signals as well as digital ones. NTSC is still the standard in the DR.

I try to look sort of like a tourist.

I have not had anyone look at my luggage since 1985, and that was in POP.

I have shipped a couple of tanques with clothes, shoes, a pressure cooker, costume jewelry and such from Miami. The 40 gallon tanques cost $20-$30 and shipping as far as San Cristobal cost $125 from Hialeah.
Nothing has been disturbed or taxed so far. I can give you the address and such if you ask.

jpjoejoepink

Nov 16, 2015
I have 2 tanques I'm planning to send from ny to dr, i was thinking of putting it in there but not sure what would happen once it gets there. From ny they charge me $100 for each tanque.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
My wife packed a 32" between pillows and put it in a vacuum bag. It looked like a bag of bedding. They actually looked at it as it was the only bag we ever had that Air Canada split open and wrapped up in tape.
If they did see it they didn't care. Plus the extra packing saved the TV. It still works after 6 years

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Customs at the airports for the most part is a lottery. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. Be prepared to pay the duty and hope for the best. Just about everything is x-rayed on the luggage belt on its way to the plane and on its way to the carousel at the destination. They will probably know you have a TV, whether they want to hassle you about it is the lottery part.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
We brought one, the same size, in our luggage. We haven't had our luggage checked in so many years that I can't remember the last time, at least 20 years, maybe more.

The only thing they ever open is our son's guitar and then they ask for a song. Always a fun way to start a trip, especially with friends that hadn't experienced the fun-loving culture yet.

jpjoejoepink

Nov 16, 2015
I'm like indecisive right now, take the chance or send it with the shippng company and pay the $175

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Just go for it, but as Cdn stated, be ready to pay. You can play dumb and if that doesn't come naturally, feel free to peruse some of my posts.

HM11

Mar 24, 2012
Got nailed in PUJ about a month ago for $11,000 pesos.... a 40in. Vizio.... friends brought in the exact same T.V. a week earlier and didn't pay a peso... it's a lottery!

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
It is a lottery and your chances of winning depend on the airport, time of day and a dozen other factors. If they find the TV, claim that its a computer monitor ( no customs or very small fee), if that doesn't work, have a 1k note ready for a discreet propina, and if that fails, just be ready to pay. I brought TVs of that size in luggage, never had any problems.

drstranger

Sep 8, 2013
I have brought several 32 inch tvs over in my luggage during the last 3 years (1 at a time).

I have also had them shipped using a local shipping company: Emcargo Pac.

Never had an issue. If the tv is 32 inches or less AND less than 200 dollars, there is no import tax. Make sure that you have the receipt showing the price.

Make sure that you pack the tv very well. Two of my friends broke their screens when they brought their tvs in their luggage.

With the shipping company, I just had to pay the weight. It is now 204 pesos a pound. A 32 inch flat screen tv is about 16 pounds. $3,264 pesos Therefore, cost of shipping was approximately 72 dollars. The tv comes in its original box and wasn't damaged.

I hope this helps.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Arrived in santiago STI a month or so ago.
For the first time ever, after I collected luggage from carrousel and after you get the tags checked, they put all luggage through X ray machine.
I guess the sole purposd is to look for taxable items..... but I dont know.

This coming from someone who brings like 3 or more pieces of luggage each trip, and has never had a problem.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have brought in at least a half dozen TV's in my old LV suitcase. Only one time they opened the bag and I told the guy it was a PC monitor and he waved me through.

Go for it.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I've done this twice through Santiago. My bags were not checked. I had only carry on baggage (both times) and the agents
just waived me through past the people with carts full of bags.

Jan 9, 2004
Came in last week via STI. The x-ray machines are up, running and being used. Several persons were negotiating with the inspectors, who were otherwise occupied.....and. I passed through without x-ray scans.

As was pointed out above, it is a little like the lottery....depends on time of day, number of people waiting, mood of the inspectors, etc.

One thing for sure, the back of the customs form is your friend.....use it if you need it. By that I mean a person arriving can bring in $500 USD of gifts every three months...IF they are declared on the form AND you can support the valuation (think bona fide receipts).

Fortunately, I have not yet needed to test this procedure as I was passed through customs this trip without being subjected to the x-ray or any other inspection.

From my observations, if you only have one suitcase....you receive far less scrutiny.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sky's Rules of Engagement for Customs:

1- Wait for a crowd of people and get in the middle going out.

2- Wear a baseball hat related to tourism, like saying "Punta Cana".

nordique

Apr 6, 2012
I intend to bring in one as well but my main concerned here is should I declare in the custom's form that I have a tv in my luggage , yes or no?