Dominican American Experience

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
Yes, many will move into similar socio-economic environments but also environments with more English, more varied backgrounds etc. This will hopefully allow many to move on from the debacle of the Dominican American experience.

Can someone elaborate on this?

I am Canadian, and there are not so many Dominican immigrants in Canada.

We have lots of immigrants in general, and some Latino ones: Chileans, Cubans, a few Mexicans, El Salvadore?os… they seem to fare pretty well in my country.

I've only ever met one Dominican immigrant in Canada, I will never ever forget him, a mulato sankie named Americo who couldn't even write his own name, married to an obese Canadian woman who had kicked him out of the house for cheating.

He came into my office and burst into tears because his mother had died and he couldn't afford to go back to the DR for the funeral.

A sad, wretched man with a big poof of hair. But that's it.

So what is the debacle of the Dominican-American experience?

I've met a few deportees here who range from together enough (you'd never think) to absolute messes… What seems to go wrong for them in the USA?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

We have lots of immigrants in general, and some Latino ones: Chileans, Cubans, a few Mexicans, El Salvadore?os… they seem to fare pretty well in my country.

I've only ever met one Dominican immigrant in Canada, I will never ever forget him, a mulato sankie named Americo who couldn't even write his own name, married to an obese Canadian woman who had kicked him out of the house for cheating.

He came into my office and burst into tears because his mother had died and he couldn't afford to go back to the DR for the funeral.

I've met a few deportees here who range from together enough (you'd never think) to absolute messes… What seems to go wrong for them in the USA?

This belongs in it's own thread.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
"Crying in your office about his mother dying".... Sounds like he is going to "play" you. The fat Canadian found out the the hard way. Save yourself some money and heart ache.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
"Crying in your office about his mother dying".... Sounds like he is going to "play" you. The fat Canadian found out the the hard way. Save yourself some money and heart ache.

Oh for God's sake, either sober up or read the post better.

I was relating something that happened years ago.

FFS.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Its difficult to admit being "sanktified' , I understand. You did not indicate that you met him years ago. However I can assure you he will be just fine. There are plenty of overweight Canadians who will over look his extra curricular activities and take notice of his "big poof of hair" just like you did. I have met very few Dominicans that have not relayed a story about a sick or dying family member. Even if they are not trying to get money its just a way of saying "oh life is so difficult"
ok ffs

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
its difficult to admit being "sanktified' , i understand. You did not indicate that you met him years ago. However i can assure you he will be just fine. There are plenty of overweight canadians who will over look his extra curricular activities and take notice of his "big poof of hair" just like you did. I have met very few dominicans that have not relayed a story about a sick or dying family member. Even if they are not trying to get money its just a way of saying "oh life is so difficult"
ok ffs

he was a client in my office years ago. I do not know this individual. Do you understand now??????

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
It's too bad that the thread got derailed by this idiocy as I would really appreciate some insight; I know nothing about this or why things seem to go so badly for Dominicans in the USA, in my country there are so very many immigrant success stories, including immigrants from the developing world.
Is it "ghettoization"? Lack of support? Even uneducated immigrants in Canada oftentimes do just fine, they work their @sses off and live together in rooming house type of arrangements.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

there are quite a few Dominicans in Montreal, and parts of Toronto. quite a few exotic dancers working in bars on Bloor and Landsdowne St, and on Yonge Street. just ask for the House of Lancaster, for starters.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Some of my wife's relatives have moved to the north-east of the US. The problems for them are the bad winters and the lack of community style that exists in the DR. Some have actually returned to the DR because of the different style where you don't know who your neighbors are. They cannot fathom that people live their lives without constantly being what I call "disturbed" by others that live by them. In their context, they would invite those disturbances that never happen there. Culturally, they do not like it without that constant interaction.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo

We have lots of immigrants in general, and some Latino ones: Chileans, Cubans, a few Mexicans, El Salvadore?os? they seem to fare pretty well in my country.

I've met a few deportees here who range from together enough (you'd never think) to absolute messes? What seems to go wrong for them in the USA?

Maybe you should just pm rfp, he is probably the only one that knows what he means. I can't quite identify the context of the quote. I think it has something to do with the proposition that most/many Dominicans in NYC are on welfare. Not my proposition, but there was some such discussion here a while ago. Complete with cites to statistics, etc. Arguments, insults, the usual : )

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Maybe you should just pm rfp, he is probably the only one that knows what he means. I can't quite identify the context of the quote. I think it has something to do with the proposition that most/many Dominicans in NYC are on welfare. Not my proposition, but there was some such discussion here a while ago. Complete with cites to statistics, etc. Arguments, insults, the usual : )

If there is any group in the US that knows how to take advantage of and milk "the system" it is certainly the current generation of Dominican immigrants. They are absolutely amazing at it. My knowledge about this is direct and not generalized.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If there is any group in the US that knows how to take advantage of and milk "the system" it is certainly the current generation of Dominican immigrants. They are absolutely amazing at it. My knowledge about this is direct and not generalized.

when i worked in insurance in NY, we used to have hell with the bogus medical claims these guys would make for bodily injuries in the most minor of fender benders. they learnt this from guys who were doing it long before them, but they took it to unprecedented heights. whenever we had a claim of an accident from Dominicans, among others, we would offer them a cash settlement on the spot, and they would have to sign a waiver that said that the acceptance of the check meant that they would consider the matter closed. if we did not do that, they would hit us with a claim for severe injuries two days later.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Now I see the context - the comment is in the Gentrification of Washington Heights thread. He apparently objects to Dominicans serving mofongo in their Dominican restaurant - that is why you should pm him, I am sure I have it wrong :classic::classic:

Africaida says:

The affected immigrant group doesn't move into the greater Anglo culture, they are pushed out, because the newly gentrify is now beyond their means.
In this case, many Dominicans have been moving up to the Bronx.
Yes, many will move into similar socio-economic environments but also environments with more English, more varied backgrounds etc.

Then rfp says:

This will hopefully allow many to move on from the debacle of the Dominican American experience.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv

You said it. Each trip down here is a plane full of people going "home" for 2-3 month vacations. While their family buys groceries with their snap cards.
My wife has been in NYC for under two months. Dominicans have offered to show her how to get food stamps and medicaid. She has no need for either.

While visiting a customer in Miami they had a female employee that upon learning of my wife's residency status tell her she can ditch me in two years, lol.
They had just met mind you and just assumed a dominicana would want that. Sad really.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
It's too bad that the thread got derailed by this idiocy as I would really appreciate some insight; I know nothing about this or why things seem to go so badly for Dominicans in the USA, in my country there are so very many immigrant success stories, including immigrants from the developing world.
Is it "ghettoization"? Lack of support? Even uneducated immigrants in Canada oftentimes do just fine, they work their @sses off and live together in rooming house type of arrangements.

Go badly for Dominicans in the USA? Lack of support? Oh my, you must be kidding!