Shooting at Coco Bongo

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Last night there were shots fired at Coco Bongo, no reported deaths but one or two in the hospital.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nothing in B?varo Digital, which is usually on top of these things - what information do you have?

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Some of the boys from the Barrio crossed someone and they probably retalliated...happens all the time in the U.S. Seems like it would happen more often in the D.R., given the opinions stated on this Forum by people who "hate" the D.R. and wish they were "somewhere else". Shootings happen all over the World these days, and no one should be surprised if it is happening in Bavaro.

We'll still be out dancing at Coco Bongo next weekend if people want to check us out and see what people were wearing in 1997.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Quick. Someone call CNN. We can say it was ISIS and be on TV for something other than horrible driving practices and a corrupt law enforcement.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Probably because Coco Bongo is a big advertiser for Bavaro Digital...

Pretty damn close, it turns out.

This is old news now, but I just saw Bavaro Digital's explanation for their lack of coverage. This is the English translation and it's not very good. Spanish below, too.

Bavaro Digital
Yesterday at 5:00am ? Edited

Many people have written questioning us because this means not written anything about the situation occurred in the parking lot of the Plaza del Downtown Punta Cana, just in front of Coco Bongo disco. Now we will tell you why we have not thought ...
Bavarian Digital is a means to bring the information sought everything that happens in Bavaro Punta Cana, as a way to find solutions to them. Our countless complaints sometimes even humorous so demonstrate. An event like this that embarrasses me in full, as were some Dominicans who caused this situation is commendable that go up and that more innocent people paid because of ignorant people who believe they own the world. We REPUDIATE this action taken where besides various means knowing nothing published "versions" just to achieve "raiting" and do not stop to think about the big damage that make them tourism in our country. The shops in the area of Bavaro complain that tourists do not leave the hotel, but .... I wonder how they will get out if we ourselves cause you do not, through actions like last in the parking Coco Bongo and a tabloid that rather than bring out a story "accurate Captcha" and well made, take a "distorted" news the fact ?. The news as journalists we should do it, but not in a way to harm the image of someone or something that is benefiting hundreds of homes Bavaro. Thanking all I say goodbye, hoping he explained his concerns .... Angel Fernandez director Bavaro Digital

In Spanish:

Bavaro Digital
Yesterday at 5:00am ? Edited ?
Muchas personas nos han escrito cuestionando el porque este medio no a escrito nada sobre la situaci?n acontecida en el Parqueo de la Plaza del Downtown Punta Cana, justamente en frente de la disco Coco Bongo. Ahora les diremos el porque no hemos opinado...
B?varo Digital es un medio que a buscado llevar las informaciones de todo lo que acontece en B?varo Punta Cana, como una forma de buscar SOLUCIONES a las mismas. Nuestras incontables denuncias a veces hasta jocosas as? lo demuestran. Un hecho como este que me averg?enza en su totalidad, pues fueron unos dominicanos que provocaron esta situaci?n no es meritorio que lo subamos y mas por que personas inocentes pagaron por culpa de IGNORANTES que creen que son due?os del mundo. Nosotros REPUDIAMOS esta acci?n realizada donde ademas diferentes medios QUE SIN SABER NADA publican "versiones" solo para lograr "raiting" y no se paran a pensar el da?o tan grande que les hacen al turismo de nuestro pa?s. Los comercios de la zona de B?varo se quejan de que los turistas no salen de los hoteles, pero yo me pregunto....como van a salir si nosotros mismos provocamos que no lo hagan, a trav?s de acciones como la pasada en el PARQUEO de Coco Bongo y con una prensa AMARILLISTA que en vez de lograr llevar una noticia "Ver?dica" y bien lograda, llevan una noticia "distorsionada" del hecho?. La noticia como periodistas debemos de hacerla, pero no de una forma de da?ar la imagen de alguien o algo que esta beneficiando a cientos de hogares de B?varo.
Agradeciendo a todos me despido, esperando haber explicado sus inquietudes....
Angel Fernandez
Director Bavaro Digital

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Same kind of things happened many times before in Santo Domingo. Same story, someone was kicked out or denied entry, went back to his car to take a gun, .... nothing new.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
so what is the final "true" story of the shooting?

Mike

The DiarioLibre story posted by DV8 in #10 is the last hard news story I have seen. If true, it was a violent incident. That story says the police capitan on the scene was shot five times at the door of Coco Bongo. And, a few tourists were also taken to the hospital with injuries. Very bad scene, apparently.

But, as far as I know this type of incident does not occur frequently in Bavaro. We were just out Saturday night, but we don't go to these discos with many people. Too unpredicatable. I don't even like the ones with 1/10th the number of people. Even some of these wand people at the door now to try to make sure firearms do not come in.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
At least now all these shootings occur in the parking lots, not inside the discos.

Yes, but if the story is accurate, it was steps away from the door. It is possible only the police capitan kept the person with the firearm out. Five bullets.

But yes, gracias a Dios outside this one.

(Similar happens in many places, other countries, including other places where I am more or less frequently. Same drill there, people screened for firearms at the door. Most problems occur outside in parking lot because of this.)

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
(Similar happens in many places, other countries, including other places where I am more or less frequently. Same drill there, people screened for firearms at the door. Most problems occur outside in parking lot because of this.)
By the way, I spent 2 weeks in Bavaro recently, went to several places with a girl, nobody ever checked me for firearm at the entrance. Only at one place the guy at the door asked me if I have a gun or no, I said no and he never checked it. That's because I look like a tourist, I saw how they checked Dominicans in front of me. I have a gun and I leave it in my car when I go to the places like discos, but the point is that I could easily enter with a gun in any of those places in Bavaro.

The same thing in places like Hard Rock Cafe in Blue Mall in Santo Domingo, I went to a concert, they checked 10 guys in front of me at the entrance, asked their girls to open their purses, but let me in without even asking or checking anything except the ticket.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
By the way, I spent 2 weeks in Bavaro recently, went to several places with a girl, nobody ever checked me for firearm at the entrance. Only at one place the guy at the door asked me if I have a gun or no, I said no and he never checked it. That's because I look like a tourist, I saw how they checked Dominicans in front of me. I have a gun and I leave it in my car when I go to the places like discos, but the point is that I could easily enter with a gun in any of those places in Bavaro.

The same thing in places like Hard Rock Cafe in Blue Mall in Santo Domingo, I went to a concert, they checked 10 guys in front of me at the entrance, asked their girls to open their purses, but let me in without even asking or checking anything except the ticket.

Absolutely right. Most of the places in Bavaro do not have a door they can control. Drink Point is the one where we were recently. They have controlled front and back doors. But, as you say, not everyone gets checked.

I went next door to Beerhouse for a while. Totally tranquilo. Hard to say if they will make it. Big place, no clients. I have been there before. Same. But high season is coming...

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Bavaro Digital should know that anytime you attempt to hide something that it grows a life of its own. It is better to discuss
news...warts and all.