Life is so fragile!

kamili

Nov 17, 2015
I saw something awful this afternoon. 2 men where swimming in Costambar beach, the waves were very strong, they began struggling; one swum back to the beach after trying to save his friend but he was unable to do so. We saw the other man going under as he was going further and further in the ocean. Rescuers were called but they came too late; they kept the body in the water for hours waiting for the GP to confirm the death.

Most of the time we take things for granted. The only time we are thankful is for Thanksgiving Day other than that it?s pretty much free for all!

Life is so fragile. Tragedies can occur at any time, look at what happened, 2 men were swimming, the sea was trying to take them both, one got away, and the other one lost the battle. That?s how fragile life really is, one minute you are alive, next minute death enters.

Let us all be grateful every day, for our life is so fragile, appreciate it my friends!

kamili

Nov 17, 2015
Rip currents .... when will people learn the basics?
http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/ripcurrent.mp4

May he rest in peace

Yes, you are right, it happened just like the animation. I also noticed in that area of the beach where the incident occurred, there are no coral reefs to protect the coastline against those strong waves. That area is kind of an opening, a corridor; it is situated between 2 coral reefs.
Thanks for the video!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the waves were very strong today indeed. costambar beach is normally fairly safe as the water is shallow and most people stay close to the shore. really tragic death. RIP.

Last edited by a moderator:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Thats pretty impresive. I never heard of this before. Looks like it would work if you can remain calm. (And sober)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it's a lot harder to achieve in the open water, while being pulled by the current, scared and tired.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
i think it's a lot harder to achieve in the open water, while being pulled by the current, scared and tired.

I agree. The technique is simple. Lay motionless and breath to the side, but not easy to maintain the composure to pull it off. To me, simple and easy are quite different. Running a marathon is simple. Put on sneakers and run 26.2 miles, but it is not easy. Another risk in the water is the rip tide. A man drowned in Macao recently when he became exhausted trying to fight the rip tide. It takes quite a bit of poise and confidence to allow the rip tide to take you further out to sea and then swim across its path.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

It's actually simple even in open water. It disciplines the body and mind to preserve energy and reduce fear.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, but people who know how to swim drown because they are not able to preserve energy and reduce fear. one can train this but to be able to calm down while drowning is a difficult task.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
yeah, but people who know how to swim drown because they are not able to preserve energy and reduce fear. one can train this but to be able to calm down while drowning is a difficult task.

Similar to surviving a bear attack. Lie motionless, let the bear toss you around until he becomes bored and leaves. Not easy.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Panic in any distressing situation often leads to an even worse situation.

Those that find themselves in situations where it is important to know the correct action to perform instinctively, plan ahead of time then practice, practice and practice again.

It doesn't matter if we are talking about escaping your house during a fire in the middle of the night and the door is inaccessible, being held up for your cellphone by an armed duo on a moto, getting caught in a rip current or even just getting too tired to make it back to the beach all of a sudden. Having thought about the situation before and having a plan is usually advantageous . Proving to yourself that you can indeed float easily in salt water can make all the difference.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

It depends on the person. I would drown. We were talking about this thread today, and my husband [still a VERY strong swimmer, diver, scuba, etc.] was telling me about swimming at Guibia in Santo Domingo when he was young [so we're probably talking 50 years ago, give or take] when he got caught in this. He relaxed and let him take him away, he ended up out in the ocean near Vesuvio Restaurant. He swam to shore, and walked back down the malecon to retrieve his towel, clothing, etc., from the beach.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Life is fragile.
I had at least five near death experiences in my life.
One is drowning in a lake, I remember slipping into darkness then waking up surrounded by people on the shore line.