Sniper - francotirador?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
There must be an interesting story as to why the Spanish for a sniper is a francotirador. Does anyone know the etymology of it?

Translated literally you get Franc thrower!

kamili

Nov 17, 2015
There must be an interesting story as to why the Spanish for a sniper is a francotirador. Does anyone know the etymology of it?

Translated literally you get Franc thrower!

It is probably a translation from the french word "franc-tireur". Same definition.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Just guessing: franco = honest, clear, direct (te lo digo francamente = I tell you straight), tirar = shoot (un tiro = a shot)

Francotirador = Straight shooter / Clear shooter

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I think it's an interesting word too. I never thought of looking into the etymology because in Spanish to me when I think of francotirador, I think it refers to the ability to aim well, es decir, la punter?a. Therefore, from that perspective if you have a good aim, you are sharp or direct, and you will hit your target. In other words, a sharp shooter.

I read Wikipedia's description last night when I saw the thread but under the meaning of francotirador and not the French word. The explanation is quite good.

-MP.

Aug 6, 2006
A straight shooter/ sharpshooter is not necessarily a sniper, but a good sniper need to be a sharpshooter. I don't think Annie Oakley ever killed anyone.