Punta Alma Luperon

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Hi
Whats was the story with a project called Punta Alma in Luperon? Did they build it, will they etc etc????

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It seems to be a virtual reality in the DR. Like so many other projects. [video=youtube;WH5R7iXck5E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH5R7iXck5E[/video]

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Indeed this island is full of land grabbing corruption politicians and their cronies
who snatch up property across the country then
sell it to the highest bidder in the name of foreign
investment and development. How?s that for virtual reality?

shingani

May 7, 2011
Pablo el jefe de medio ambiente es un hombre honesto....que te parece ???????

Not an every day occurrance in the DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
http://noticiaspop.com.do/bergantin...rtalecerian-aun-mas-crecimiento-puerto-plata/

PUNTA ALMA
Luper?n es uno de los municipios en donde m?s expectativas se ha creado en torno al turismo las cuales a?n no se han concretizado debido a diferentes factores, incluso el hotel que durante a?os funcion? all?, cerr? sus puertas, su bah?a natural, el puerto de gracia, a pesar de ser considerado el m?s seguro en las Antillas est? a?n subutilizada la esperanza de la regi?n estuvo puesta en el proyecto Atl?ntica, posteriormente rebautizado como Punta Alma.
La burocracia, el exceso de celo del Ministerio de Medio Ambiente han impedido que se materialice una iniciativa que, originalmente, promet?a convertir esa zona en una especia de cote d’azur, una Riviera Francesa en el Caribe, de hecho, sus promotores originales eran encabezados por un grupo franc?s.
Algunos aun albergan la esperanza de que en alg?n momento Medio Ambiente establezca condiciones razonables que permitan desarrollar el proyecto sin afectar el ?rea protegida, como una iniciativa para generar cientos de empleos en una de las zonas m?s deprimidas de la provincia y con un potencial envidiable donde no puede olvidarse que en el distrito del Castillo, perteneciente a Luper?n, se encuentra La Isabela Hist?rica, lugar del primer establecimiento de los conquistadores.
Un total de 5.5 millones de metros cuadrados adquiridos por el fondo de inversiones propietario de los terrenos, con un enorme potencial para el desarrollo de hoteles de lujo, spa, campo de golf, apartamentos, villas y una marina para 120 o 160 amarres esperan la sensatez oficial para el desarrollo de la zona.

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
As an 8 year resident of Historic La Isabella (El Castillo, about 20 min west of Luperon) and a person who arrived in Luperon by boat, this is the way I understand what happened. Just before I arrived in 2008, this project had been quashed. It was originally called Atlantis. The way I understand it is that once the plans were presented, the environmental and tourism ministries found out that most of the mangroves in that area would disappear to development. The Luperon Harbor is FULL of mangroves which is why it is (or was) a popular cruising destination during the hurricane season (June through November). Not so popular now for other reasons. As of today, nothing is happening or being planned. Only lots of rumors. There have been other ambitious projects like Puerto Colon (http://www.puertocolondr.com/_en/MasterPlan/?onLoad=) near where I live on the north coast that have also failed for lack of investment....whatever. On the coast from Punta Rucia to Luperon things have been changing.....but very slow. 8 years ago there was one light at night as I looked west to the Punta Rucia coast. Now there are ten! Maybe all this stuff will happen....but it will happen slowly....and that's OK with me!!! We love it here. It's beautiful and tranquillo. Respectfully.

Aug 6, 2006
That is some video. It is technically excellent. The animated figures all appear to be White folks who wave at one another a lot, and they don't seem to notice helicopters chasing them through tunnels. There is one token potbellied guy, even.
I feel sorry for them, because they have to live in a virtual reality world.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The Luperon Harbor is FULL of mangroves which is why it is (or was) a popular cruising destination during the hurricane season (June through November). Not so popular now for other reasons.

Thanks for the clarification on the developments that never proceeded. Happens a lot on this island.

Why is the port at Luperon not so popular now?

Aug 6, 2006
Perhaps they are just waiting for some particularly larcenous bureaucrat to expire. There seen to be a lot of projects that have been closed and only require some renovation.
None I ave seen are as grandiose as this, though.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A billion dollars might cause things to break free:

Puerto Plata.- With an investment amounting to more than a billion dollars was released yesterday by foreign investors execution in the coming months the real estate and tourism project Punta Alma in the town of Luperon, located in the western part of the Puerto Plata province.

The project has 5.5 million square meters, which will be developed in four stages, the first of which will last two years since according to report their own investment fund is completely American, that already has the approval of the Dominican government he is willing to give huge facilities in order to develop the area at the highest level.

This is an excellent opportunity to join venture which is a joint venture a strategic partnership, commercial partnership or consortium with a trade agreement joint investment in the long term between two or more persons, designed for investors who are interested in the development of a Hotel luxury spa, a golf course first class, lots of apartments, villas in the hills or beach properties.

The launch ceremony was attended by Minister of Tourism, Francisco Javier Garc?a Fern?ndez, president of the chain Lifestyle Hollidays Vacation Resort, Markus Wischenbart, the senator from Puerto Plata province, Jos? Ignacio Paliza, among others who witnessed the presentation the new strategy to conquer foreign and local visitor who identifies himself under the name "Punta Soul".

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
From my neighbor who was there displaying art: Around 500 guests and investors were present at the Punta Alma location in Luperon for a "kick off party" that happened this past Sunday afternoon the 23rd. I was invited but did not go. Sunday is American football and I won't be buying into anything there anyway! The party was GRAND with lots of pigs and drink etc. On a side note, I am told that a representative from Lifestyles requested help with transportation (truck for hauling food n party stuff) from the new mayor of Luperon. The new mayor agreed to help out. (of course he did)! Well turns out he stood them up and kinda threw a wrench into the works that caused a lot of last minute scrambling. Sheesh. This will be really, really good for Luperon and I can't understand why the local mayor would act that way.....sort of. This is the same guy who is building a "monster home" just outside of Luperon. You figure it out. We will see, but it looks like this project is a go. It is at the same location as the Atlantis project that failed maybe 10 years ago.