US Visa Renewal for Dominicans

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
So I recently renewed my tourist visa. I liked the new process because if you're renewing a multiple visa of the same type, you can get the consular interview waived. I only had to go to the VAC(Visa Application Center) at galeria 360 to get my biometrics taken. Another plus is how little time you have to spend at the VAC. I was out of there in about 35 minutes. It runs all very smoothly, unlike in the past where you had to sit around for hours, waiting to be called.

Another plus is you can track your passport and find out the status of your application online.

The visa fee is USD160 paid in pesos and in cash at Banco Popular. You can choose your appointment date online; you can also reschedule or cancel it the same way.
When you're filling out the DS-160, you have to submit a digital pic, but at the VAC, they'll take your pic again. You do not have to bring physical pictures.
They won't sed your passport home anymore. You have to pre-select the place where you want to go pick it up, like several Mailboxes locations or the VAC itself.

This is a summary of the Steps:
1) complete the DS-160 form application form online at https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/ and print the confirmation page, 2)create a profile at www.ustraveldocs.com/do and print the deposit slip to take to Banco Popular, 3) present the deposit slip and pay the visa application fee in Dominican pesos at a branch of Banco Popular, 4) make an appointment for the Visa Application Center (VAC) and the U.S. Embassy online or by calling the call center, 5) attend your appointment at the VAC to submit your applications, take a photograph, and provide fingerprints, 6)Track your passport or visa status online and wait for the e-mail notification that it's ready to pick up.

Even though the consular interview is waived, they make it clear that it's still possible for the consulate to call you if any issues or questions come up.