Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Very short visit to Haiti - practical?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Very short visit to Haiti - practical?

I am thinking of making a very short visit to Haiti, mainly to get a Dominican entry stamp on my passport so that I can drive legally while waiting for my new cedula. The plan would be to get a bus to Dajabon, cross over the border on foot, spend an hour or so there and then return.

Does anyone know if this is a practical idea?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

How are you in the DR without an entry stamp in your passport? Did they allow enter the country using
    your old cedula and therefor not asking to see your passport/ giving you an entry stamp? Just curious.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    I am thinking of making a very short visit to Haiti, mainly to get a Dominican entry stamp on my passport so that I can drive legally while waiting for my new cedula. The plan would be to get a bus to Dajabon, cross over the border on foot, spend an hour or so there and then return.

Does anyone know if this is a practical idea?
    Are you really that concerned about driving legally? Don't waste your time and money.

4. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    How are you in the DR without an entry stamp in your passport? Did they allow enter the country using
    your old cedula and therefor not asking to see your passport/ giving you an entry stamp? Just curious.
    Of course I have an entry stamp on my passport, but you can only drive for a limited period after entry on a foreign licence, so I need a new one.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LTSteve View Post
    Are you really that concerned about driving legally? Don't waste your time and money.
    I drove for a long time illegally, but when I started my Residency application in the UK I received a visa for two months, during which time I could drive here legally. I must say it felt much better driving without being concerned about AMET checks and now that this visa has expired and I am waiting for my cedula, I would like to maintain that feel-good factor - if I can do it relatively easily by taking a quick trip to Haiti.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tashi Siu's Dad View Post
    It would probably be cheaper just to go down and get a Dominican License...then you'd be legal all around.
    I can't get a Dominican licence until I get my cedula.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    I have been told that the "exit fee" from Haiti is sixty US dollars. Never checked it out myself so it fits into the same category as most info found on DR1
    Der Fish
    That's the sort of information I'm looking for (and which others might find useful), especially if anyone can confirm it.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I will repeat one more time. I have never heard of ANYONE having a problem driving here as a tourist.

10. Likes sylindr liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    I will repeat one more time. I have never heard of ANYONE having a problem driving here as a tourist.
    Tell that to the Oregon man and his wife who are detained here in La Romana for an accident they did not cause.

12. Likes GinzaGringo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eleutheria View Post
    Tell that to the Oregon man and his wife who are detained here in La Romana for an accident they did not cause.
    This would happen to anyone with any legal license. Has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

14. Likes Tamborista, ramesses, sylindr liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast