Starbucks type of place in DR?

TomB

Jan 23, 2002
What is your opinion on opening a Starbucks type of place in the DR (not a real Starbucks, I know they don't franchise)?
Because of my Dominican wife I have been in the DR many times and especially in Santiago, and I noticed that there are very few places for people in the age between let's say 20-35 years old to hang out with friends and spend some time after work or a Saturday afternoon.
The Dominicans I know are not exactly big coffee consumers, but my idea is not so much about introducing a coffee culture, but more about offering a place to meet your friends, sit down and relax.
Would this really fulfill a market demand and what would be the main difficulties to encounter?
Thanks for your reactions!

Susan

Jan 23, 2002
a thought

perhaps you might include computor access on your menu as well...

I would have loved to find a place where I could sit down and check my email, etc., while being in the city.

as I said, just a thought :)

susan

afraile

Jan 5, 2002
I?dont?think your coffee place is a good idea, since, as you mention, Dominicans are not big consumers of coffee. Take also into account that coffee and donut-based concepts, such as Dunkin Donuts closed their shop in Plaza Central, one of the best malls in Santo Domingo. Considering this, I would not believe,as Susan says in her mail, that a computer facility might help the concept. Again, think that your main customer group are Dominicans and not Europeans or Americans who are visiting the city.

I am a professional of the food and beverage sector and have some business ideas for DR. If you wish to discuss further your plans contact me via e-mail

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Thesaurus

There is a "coffee shop" on the corner of Lincoln and Sarasota in Santo Domingo at an upscale bookstore called "The Thesaurus." Here in the capitol, I think it might address a need for the middle and upper class as well as expats. In San Jose, Costa Rica, there is an old Italian chocolate/pastry store called Giacomin located close to a major mall(Mall San Pedro). Wish there was something like that here. Perhaps there is, and I just don't know it.

Thepatriot

Jan 28, 2002
Totally agree.

Hey TomB:

I must say that you must have read my mind. I have been thinking about the same idea for a business project. I've been living in the states for 6 years now. There isn't anything I love doing more here in NYC than popping in for some richly brewed coffee to read the paper or brainstorm on some ideas. OF Course, I would say a DR version of Starbucks would have to include something to the appeal of a DR audience like say (shakes, desserts or even partnering with helados bon) why not. But the jist of this whole thing would have to be to provide comfortable "homelike" atmosphere for a student, professional and maybe even young reading crowd to mingle (not bound to salary brackets). I highly favor having also internet terminals accessible to customers.! Who says the only way to enjoy life in DR has to be boozing at the local bar. Plus Sundays always tend to be terribly boring.

Another concept would be that if DR has an ever increasing american tourist crowd flying into the popular beach spots to include these spots in the project as possible complimentary leisure offering at the several tourist complexes.

In summary, I would very much like to know what ends have you come to achieve or if your harboring this plan any further.?

let me know ..

Dominican Patriot.

Last edited:

Susan

Jan 23, 2002
that was a great idea....

**I highly favor having also internet terminals accessible to customers.! Who says the only way to enjoy life in DR has to be boozing at the local bar. Plus Sundays always tend to be terribly boring.

Another concept would be that if DR has an ever increasing american tourist crowd flying into the popular beach spots to include these spots in the project as possible complimentary leisure offering at the several tourist complexes.

computors, desserts, coffees.....
perhaps newspapers as well?

Good business reason for all nationalities:
*Stressed spelled backwards spells desserts*
IMHO.

MANY nationalities think that way... brain candy, coffee, and desserts...

can you tell that I worked in marketing??

I think it would be *genius* to present it to hotels under construction.... there are how many being built right now on the North Coast?

I saw the construction of a very beautiful resort going up, on the way to Maimon... on a hilltop, that ended in an amazing stone 100' canopy for weddings, etc. It should be open soon.

...but, hey, I'm no one to advise on money, just selling whatever it is!

susan

frederic

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
GOOD IDEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sincerely believe the market is ripe for this idea and I specially like the idea of doing it with some local franchise like BON Ice Cream, that way you could also expand into the region (Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad, Haiti, etc) with BON. Of course I suggest you consider preparing a serious business plan, including a good market study, because location will probably be a very, very important factor.

Susan

Jan 23, 2002
It is not my plan....

But, I would be most happy to put together a *presentation package* for any party looking for investors, or places to sell this shop...

as I said, *great idea*, now with the right presentation, and locations.....

susan :)

TomB

Jan 23, 2002
Okay, Let's start now!

Thanks for all your, predominantly positive, replies and advises. I will start working on a business plan now and I am planning to discuss it with the business contacts I have in the DR during my next visit in March. Anyone who is seriously interested in contributing to the plan and the possible future venture is very welcome to contact me by e-mail.

Susan

Jan 23, 2002
would you like photos of the new resort being built that I visited?

TomB said:
Thanks for all your, predominantly positive, replies and advises. I will start working on a business plan now and I am planning to discuss it with the business contacts I have in the DR during my next visit in March. Anyone who is seriously interested in contributing to the plan and the possible future venture is very welcome to contact me by e-mail.

It is glorious. Perfect spot for a small cafe!

The Puerta Plata area has no where to go but up, let me know IF you are serious....

I am a *literate* computor designer... web sites, marketing pieces, promotional ideas... it's a great plan!

peace be with you, susan