View Poll Results: Were you aware that this is possible? Do you use it?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I knew about it and I use it.

2 20.00%
  • I knew about it, but I have never used it.

5 50.00%
  • Didn't know until now!

3 30.00%

Thread: Dominican Phone Number or Foreign One?

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Phone Number or Foreign One?

Among many Dominicans is quite known that its possible, albeit maybe its illegal in certain countries, to have a Dominican phone number while living outside the DR and to have a foreign phone number, especially a US one, while living in the DR.

I don't know the full details of how this is done, but a person can live in the US and have a phone number with the Dominican area code and in caller ID it would show as if the person is in the DR. At least it's somewhat popular among Dominicans.

The purpose of this thread is to see how many expats/snowbirds know about this and use it.

Moderator Polls Forum

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This can be done with Skype - U.S. number while in DR. But you have to use Skype either home computer or mobile app. Has many advantages. Now that I think about it, I have the same with Google talk. Don't use it as much.

I have not had a reason to try the opposite. Show DR number in U.S.

I guess I won't answer the poll, because I don't know what method you are asking about : )

Cell service companies are also trying to promote phones in U.S. you can use anywhere with wifi. That would probably show a U.S. phone number too. I know T-Mobile promotes this. And now AT&T. Maybe there are others.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont really understand the question, sorry.

It seemed to me that the dominican republic had the same internationnal code as the US, but i may be mistaken.
    And if u "wassap", you can register with a dr number and then use in europe, or register with a europe number and use in dr..... hell you can even change SIM card and it still works, so how would anyone know where i am calling from ?

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Many people have that on their land line.

Moderator Polls Forum

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I know Dominicans who live in the US, and pay for a DR phone # so that their family can call them for free [and vice versa]. I think a lot of that may be changing now, with free calls on smart phones using apps.

I have paid for a MagicJack phone # from NJ, and when I'm in DR I can call anyone's US home, business or cell from my computer or from my iPhone. They can also dial a NJ # and it rings on my phone in DR. Easy peasy. And cheap.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a London #, a U.S. #, and a Dominican #. Not sure what the thinking was behind it or the advantages, but so glad someone finally asked this question!!!

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

we have an IP phone with american number. it's mainly for calling europe on the cheap but we can be reached on that line too. we use it when miesposo or his parents are in murica. that's not a big deal, really. there are various computer programs redirecting calls too.

North Coast Moderator

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have Vonage with a US based number. It have unlimited calling to the US, Canada and DR Land Lines. My plan includes minutes to DR cell phones as well. With this I have no need for a DR phone.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You can use www.callcentric.com, costs US$9.95 per month for unlimited incoming calls using 829/849 number.
    Or www.voicebuy.com, with $5.50 per month and you can use their SIP services also for outbound calls at really great wholesale prices (minimum topup by Paypal is US$50 though). I us ethem personally for outbound international VOIP calls).

Another provider is Anveo http://www.anveo.com/consumer/mainphonenumbers.asp

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

One point to keep in mind. If you are calling from a DR cell phone, the rate is the same for calling an out of system (as in not calling an Orange phone if you have an Orange phone) DR number as it is to call a US number. Calling Orange to Orange or Claro to Claro might save money at certain times. Let me know if I am wrong on that for any DR cell phone company.

Having a DR incoming phone number would benefit those with a land line much more than those with cell phones who call you.