Dominican Phone Number or Foreign One?

Were you aware that this is possible? Do you use it?

• I knew about it and I use it.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I knew about it, but I have never used it.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Didn't know until now!

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Among many Dominicans is quite known that its possible, albeit maybe its illegal in certain countries, to have a Dominican phone number while living outside the DR and to have a foreign phone number, especially a US one, while living in the DR.

I don't know the full details of how this is done, but a person can live in the US and have a phone number with the Dominican area code and in caller ID it would show as if the person is in the DR. At least it's somewhat popular among Dominicans.

The purpose of this thread is to see how many expats/snowbirds know about this and use it.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
This can be done with Skype - U.S. number while in DR. But you have to use Skype either home computer or mobile app. Has many advantages. Now that I think about it, I have the same with Google talk. Don't use it as much.

I have not had a reason to try the opposite. Show DR number in U.S.

I guess I won't answer the poll, because I don't know what method you are asking about : )

Cell service companies are also trying to promote phones in U.S. you can use anywhere with wifi. That would probably show a U.S. phone number too. I know T-Mobile promotes this. And now AT&T. Maybe there are others.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I dont really understand the question, sorry.

It seemed to me that the dominican republic had the same internationnal code as the US, but i may be mistaken.
And if u "wassap", you can register with a dr number and then use in europe, or register with a europe number and use in dr..... hell you can even change SIM card and it still works, so how would anyone know where i am calling from ?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Many people have that on their land line.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I know Dominicans who live in the US, and pay for a DR phone # so that their family can call them for free [and vice versa]. I think a lot of that may be changing now, with free calls on smart phones using apps.

I have paid for a MagicJack phone # from NJ, and when I'm in DR I can call anyone's US home, business or cell from my computer or from my iPhone. They can also dial a NJ # and it rings on my phone in DR. Easy peasy. And cheap.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
We have a London #, a U.S. #, and a Dominican #. Not sure what the thinking was behind it or the advantages, but so glad someone finally asked this question!!! :D

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have an IP phone with american number. it's mainly for calling europe on the cheap but we can be reached on that line too. we use it when miesposo or his parents are in murica. that's not a big deal, really. there are various computer programs redirecting calls too.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have Vonage with a US based number. It have unlimited calling to the US, Canada and DR Land Lines. My plan includes minutes to DR cell phones as well. With this I have no need for a DR phone.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
One point to keep in mind. If you are calling from a DR cell phone, the rate is the same for calling an out of system (as in not calling an Orange phone if you have an Orange phone) DR number as it is to call a US number. Calling Orange to Orange or Claro to Claro might save money at certain times. Let me know if I am wrong on that for any DR cell phone company.

Having a DR incoming phone number would benefit those with a land line much more than those with cell phones who call you.