NBC: First Dominican Family Comedy

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
NBC To Premiere 'Vlad', First-Ever Dominican Family Comedy Starring Vladimir Caama?o

Popular TV shows such as "The George Lopez Show" and "Que Pasa USA?" have invited us to enjoy the lives of Mexican-American and Cuban-American families via the small screen. However, not all Latino families are Mexicans or Cubans, and that's why NBC is looking for a new diverse family comedy. Dominicanos stand up!

The network is teaming up with "Undateable's" Bill Lawrence and Adam Sztykiel for the upcoming "Vlad," a multi-camera comedy based on the true life of Dominican comedian Vladimir Caama?o. Caama?o is a regular performer at New York's The Stand Comedy Club. He was a finalist on NBC's Stand Up for Diversity program and has been featured on AXS' Gotham Comedy Live.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the show, which was picked up with a put-pilot commitment, "is inspired by the stand-up comedian's life and explores his family dynamics while living with his Dominican father and older brother in the Bronx."

Lawrence and Jeff Ingold will executive produce the show; whereas, Sztykiel and Caama?o will write the script. Caama?o will also co-executive produce. If all goes well with the the pilot, "Vlad" ---the latest family comedy to be put in development this season--- will become a series on NBC. Check him out below and keep your finger crossed!

http://www.latintimes.com/nbc-premi...amily-comedy-starring-vladimir-caamano-355422

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Based on my limited experience with Dominican humor, I can't envision this show to be even remotely funny.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Based on my limited experience with Dominican humor, I can't envision this show to be even remotely funny.

I find Dominicans very funny in person, but NOT on TV :) The fact that it is produced stateside, I am sure they can translate the humor they show in everyday conversations.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
What I'm referring to is the type of "in your face", thigh slapping comedy I've come across on dominican tv. I'm partial repartee, or blue humor. Just my preference, I guess.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What I'm referring to is the type of "in your face", thigh slapping comedy I've come across on dominican tv. I'm partial repartee, or blue humor. Just my preference, I guess.

I understand and I agree with you. I doubt that they would do that in the US, at least not on NBC.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Never heard of the guy before this post. Watched his stuff on YouTube. Amusing, intelligent. He makes jokes about his father's accent and struggle w English. His videos are urban and youth oriented. We old farts on dr1 probably won't find that amusing, but we aren't e target demographic anyway. I doubt nbc will be selling many Depends or centrum silver adverts during the show.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Vladimir Caama?o doesn't seem all that funny. Affirmative Action has seriously run amok on this one.

Kind of reminds me of that guy nicknamed "Audubon" from the MTV reality series "Washington Heights" who's been trying to make it in the music biz for the last couple of years. He's got everything going for him except talent-

[video=youtube;iM_KdZrBscE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM_KdZrBscE[/video]

Sep 4, 2012

Same thing was once said about Romeo and look at him now, he has managed to make Usher, Julio Iglesias among others to sing Bachata along his side. Oh the price of fame and money!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
AE, the way the thread title is phrased made me think it was a sitcom set in the Medina-Montilla household.