AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Flavors of Dominican Republic star in Nov. 30 NoshUp event

Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 12:00 am
By Lamar Gibson Special to News & Record

?Quisqueya,? from the extinct Taino language of the Caribbean, means ?mother of all lands.?

It is the original name of Hispaniola, the island on which Haiti and the Dominican Republic are located.
Today the name can be found on universities, neighborhoods and a number of businesses paying homage to a place that has influenced the world through its people, culture and cuisine.

Christopher Columbus? arrival in 1492, the importing of African slaves and the island?s subsequent colonization and struggles in response would set the stage for a fascinating blend of culinary innovation and influences.

In a nondescript shopping center along Gate City Boulevard (formerly High Point Road), a sign bears the name Quisqueya Restaurant. It?s easy to miss given its discreet location and the ongoing road improvements out front.

A month or so ago, a friend sent me a Facebook message asking if I?d been. Stunned, I replied, ?No, when can we go?? It?s rare that a new food destination opens in town and I don?t know about it. We set a date and a few minutes before our dinner time the next evening, I pulled into the inconspicuous parking lot that fronts the building.

Quisqueya will play host to Ethnosh, the international food adventurers, on Monday to showcase the cuisine and culture of the Dominican Republic. At this NoshUp, you can meet the owners, Ramona Est?vez and Gregorio Ferreras, and their daughter, Wendy Ferreras.

Upon entry, we were treated like relatives coming over for dinner. The owners speak personally to everyone who enters, showcasing Quisqueya?s sincere hospitality and welcoming ambiance. The walls are painted in a fresh, bright hue of orange that brings to mind the open-air restaurants of the Caribbean.

Seating is available at booths that line the walls or at tables in the center of the restaurant. I opted for the corner booth, giving me a full view of the buffet and the muted TV screen with Telemundo?s news service giving updates of the latest f?tbol matches and rankings. In the background, Romeo Santos was playing over a set of speakers that made me wonder when the real party begins.

Ramona and her husband, Gregorio, did not set out to become restaurant owners. Hailing from Dajabon and Neiva in the Dominican Republic, the couple came to the U.S. in the early 2000s to pursue better economic opportunities for their family.

Gregorio arrived first, in 2000, settling in New Jersey. Having been a professional electrician in the Dominican Republic, where he installed security alarms for banks and other businesses, he took work in construction and food warehouses to begin saving money to bring his wife and two daughters to the United States. At one point, he was a contracted meter reader for Duke Energy.

Ramona joined him in 2003 and took a job at Polo Ralph Lauren filling clothing orders for department stores around the country. Eventually their daughters joined them and began lives of their own.

A 2008 workplace injury left Ramona disabled for the next six years. This setback provided an opportunity for some soul-searching and reflection. As she slowly recovered, Ramona pondered over what her next move would be once she got well.

Friends and neighbors always complimented her cooking, and family members looked forward to her creations. Eventually, the idea of opening a restaurant that showcased Dominican food and culture was sparked. After a lot of saving and planning, it opened in July of 2014, the only place of its kind in Greensboro.

The buffet menu changes daily to showcase a wide variety of what makes Dominican food special. Fried fish with coconut sauce, pig?s feet and chivo (goat) are a few of the most interesting items.

Mofongo, a dish made from mashed plantains seasoned with garlic and other spices, then stuffed with anything from shrimp to chicharrones and vegetables, is sure to win over the adventurous eater.

My favorite is the savory pollo guisado (chicken stew) cooked in a tomato, garlic, cilantro and onion mixture called sofrito. Paired with rice that soaks up the delicious sauce, this gratifying dish is the perfect way to be introduced to Dominican fare.

Vegetarians need not worry. A number of delectable options from the ensalada de coditos (pasta salad) and tostones (fried plantains) to the avocado salad and gandules guisado (bean stew) make a hearty meal.

On Fridays and Saturdays, beginning at 10 p.m., the speakers are turned up louder and a karaoke/dance party fills the room with guests who come for the beer and fun. Wendy, the daughter of the owners who does everything from hosting to serving, often leads the party. Her singing, which is more like a seasoned performer?s than the usual karaoke types aided by liquid courage. The party lasts until 2 a.m., and the kitchen stays open the entire time.
Quisqueya brings new tastes and a memorable dining experience to Greensboro. Join us at the next Ethnosh and see.

Want to go?
What: Ethnosh NoshUp, a local gathering to spotlight ethnic food and culture
Where: Quisqueya Restaurant, 3008 Gate City Blvd, Greensboro, NC 27403
When: 5:30-8 p.m. Monday, Nov. 30. (Due to limited capacity and high demand, three sittings are offered: 5:30, 6:30 and 7:30 p.m.)
Cost: $5 gives you access to a tasty mix of signature samplers. Beer and other beverages are available for purchase.
Information: Visit www.ethnosh.orgto sign up on the mailing list or www.facebook.com/Ethnosh to learn more. Write to hq@ethnosh.org.

http://www.greensboro.com/blogs/sho...cle_65fd7169-0010-5805-aa34-c782cbc5036a.html