Heightened airport security....NOT!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Sitting in POP airport lounge watching scary CNN endless loop about heightened security risks for Americans traveling, especially internationally, over this holiday weekend.

I flew through check-in, (did not have to pay any overstay fines: migracion sticker? or 60 days?) and while I appreciated the no-hassle experience, it is hardly encouraging.

I think I'm going to extend my stay for a day so that I am not traveling on Sunday the 29th, the busiest travel day in the US. Thinking like ISIL, you could probably down a lot of Jews on that LA to Miami flight.....:paranoid:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I think that the airports in DR are probably of very little interest to fundamental Muslims...you will have much more danger in the USA ..more than 90 violent deaths every day there.

Last edited by a moderator:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
They are on high alert, they announced it and so you will notice it's enforcement around 21/11/2030, but they are on the case.:cheeky:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you did not have to pay the fine because you have a residency permit stamp. POP airport carries relatively small number of passengers and the passage is usually very smooth.
did you take a look at the general situation? presence of security guards/army/police/cestur? were any passengers called from your flight for an additional luggage check? were there any police dogs? xray machines for hand luggage working?
the fact that your check in was fast does not mean it was not safe.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
I Dont like POP because I usually get screened or hassled when . This usually happens when I am travelling single.
It is a big tourist airport anyways. It would be tricky profiling your typical terrorist by first glance, as some dominicans can pass off as middle eastern..

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
you did not have to pay the fine because you have a residency permit stamp. POP airport carries relatively small number of passengers and the passage is usually very smooth.
did you take a look at the general situation? presence of security guards/army/police/cestur? were any passengers called from your flight for an additional luggage check? were there any police dogs?

Someone told me the sticker would avoid the fine, but last time I had to pay it. This time I didn't. Go figure.

There was no heightened presence whatsoever. No CESTUR increase, no dogs, nobody that I saw pulled aside for hand-check of luggage. Business as usual.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
luxury......when i get to st marten they check EVERY bag...........well, i mean they look at EVERY person and then either check bags or wave people through..........last time I had to wait for over an hour to get through customs from the flight from SDQ.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I have been hoping to be searched by those uniformed chicas in those tight blue uniform pants for 10 years

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I have been hoping to be searched by those uniformed chicas in those tight blue uniform pants for 10 years

I always volunteer to get searched by the young Dominican men at the airport, but somehow they always send me to the uniformed chicas. Zut alors!

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
Some of us just naturally get screened more than others, I guess...every time I go through U.S. Security Checks, they pull me aside and swab my hands for GSR residue...why only me? Do I look like a mad terrorist bomber? I think not.

I got pulled out and swabbed last month leaving from POP also, the guy who was doing it had to ask for help...lol