Moving to DR from Phillippines

Status
Not open for further replies.

livinglife

Nov 22, 2015
my name is gene and I am going to move to the DR to be closer to my family,I live in the philippnes now and getting ready to take Spanish lessons and it is to exspencive and cold to live in ky,I hope I can learn a lot for this site

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Also consider looking for work in the Punta Cana area. While diving there is not as good as in other areas, there are more work opportunities because there are many more tourists.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you need to work here, I do not recommend the move. But, welcome and learn what you can before you make a mistake.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If you need to work here, I do not recommend the move. But, welcome and learn what you can before you make a mistake.

good advice. come for vacation here but not to work and make a living. there many dive masters here in this country. so the competition will be there waiting for you. Not easy to make money here unless you have some skill which is urgently needed here and no one else can do it as good as you can. since you speak no spanish and have no clue about this island, i would advice you to come here as a tourist first. look around, live a few months here and see what is here for you. DR is not as cheap as Philippines. if you will be living here in the coast then you will be disappointed with the girls here as well. I have been to Philippines twice and I tell you, Philippines is better for a single guy.

AZB

Feb 7, 2007
Spanish should not be too difficult for you if you live in Philippines. Philippines was a former Spanish colony, I am sure there are many Spanish language tutors there.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Spanish should not be too difficult for you if you live in Philippines. Philippines was a former Spanish colony, I am sure there are many Spanish language tutors there.

Although they use a lot of spanish words in tagalog but many filipinos are not aware that they are speaking spanish words. Almost no regular filipino speaks spanish or understands it. there is a city called Zombaoanga where they speak a dialect which is mostly spanish called :chavacano. When I heard chavacano on TV I was able to understand almost all of it. it sounded like spanish with strong tagalog accent. In general, filipinos speak english and they try to evade any similarities they have with spanish. All try to speak like americans. when I was in there and if someone didn't understand an english word then I would simply substitute it with spanish word and they would understand it, thinking I was speaking tagalog. Now I have met some rich filipinos who look 100% spanish and speak perfect spanish. It was in plane on the return flight. I was in premium class and the row in front of me, there was a spanish white guy with his elegant filipina wife. turns out, both were 100% filipinos and spoke fluent spanish. In simple words, the wealthy filipino families still identify themselves with spain and still speak spanish at home. the rest of filipinos don't speak a lick of spanish.
In DR, the spanish is Caribbean dialect and sounds very different from other spanish spoken in many other countries. This new fellow will have problem here if he speaks no spanish and all he has to offer is diving classes. he will have a tough competition waiting here for him if he tries to work in this field. I wish him good luck.
AZB

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
and how come , gene that you do not know any spanish so far ..I assume you can speak tagalog ..or just english?? but if you do not want o say then keep gene in the bottle

livinglife

Nov 22, 2015
I am retired,just diving for pleasure,I think I will be there with my friend who has been there many times,he gave me this site and said it was a wealth of information so i sure hope no one minds me asking a lot of questions,lived in thailand for 15 years moved to philippnes 5 months ago but diving there many times,i am learning Spanish now I wish to live there

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am retired,just diving for pleasure,I think I will be there with my friend who has been there many times,he gave me this site and said it was a wealth of information so i sure hope no one minds me asking a lot of questions,lived in thailand for 15 years moved to philippnes 5 months ago but diving there many times,i am learning Spanish now I wish to live there

That is different, since you are retired. But as I understand it there are better places if diving is the thing that gives you the most pleasure. Water sports like kite surfing, wind surfing and regular surfing. The North Coast is great for that. For diving, the entire island is not so special as I understand it.

livinglife

Nov 22, 2015
so i have been doing a lot of checking on Sosua,nite life looks good housing seem to be reasonable,so is it fairly safe,i have lived in thailand,camboida,philippnes have never had a problem,so i am retired and only wish to enjoy my li
e,is there safer places to live there in Sousa than others,can anyone tell how life is there,I do like to have a few with friends but am not a party animal like I use to be,maybe even find me a full time lady to stay with,but it sure looks a lot like Pattaya in Thailand lol

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
where is the safest place to live in sousa or dose it matter

Welcome. I think the general advice you will get is that it really is best to come out for a few weeks or months, and just look around. You may find that Sosua is not for you, or you may love it, but either way you shouldn't make any major decisions until you've had a chance to look around.

DR1 really is one of the best - if not the best - sources of information available. I'd start by reading the thread below, and learning as much as you can. You can then follow up with specific questions. It's a long thread, but by the time you're through it, you'll probably have a better sense of who is living where, and how they may be willing to be of assistance.

Either way, good luck!

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/112283-Living-Costs-in-the-Dominican-Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.