what is necessary for my Dominican friends to visit me?

Susan

Jan 23, 2002
I would like to send a plane ticket to my Dominican friend who will be working with me in the near future, to come and visit my family in the US.

He has never been out of Republica Dominica, but, I have a copy of his birth certificate. Does he need a visa to come and visit us for two weeks? Can I help him obtain this?

What paperwork is involved in helping a R.D. friend come and visit, then later - travel for business purposes - on short trips to the US and back?

Thank you for your time, Susan

doug

Jan 1, 2002
Susan

Unless your friend is "very" well off in the DR, forget it! The person would have to own a home in the DR.....be working at a very good job......in short, he/she would have to show he/she has a tremendous amount to lose if he/she did not return to the DR. The person would have to show it would be ridiculous for him/her not to return. If this is not the case, be ready for a ton of red tape, and about a year long wait! This has been my experience anyways....maybe someone else has a different view?

Susan

Jan 23, 2002
a wee bit more info

doug said:
Unless your friend is "very" well off in the DR, forget it! The person would have to own a home in the DR.....be working at a very good job......in short, he/she would have to show he/she has a tremendous amount to lose if he/she did not return to the DR. The person would have to show it would be ridiculous for him/her not to return. If this is not the case, be ready for a ton of red tape, and about a year long wait! This has been my experience anyways....maybe someone else has a different view?

My friend has a wife, a son, and a family! (Also a shop!) He would not be leaving, and I would be more than happy to vouch for him returning....

I can't understand why would a man who loves his family be put through all that?

If all this is provable, would the time take as long? The reason we want him to come - is so that he can share responsibilities when we start up a new business together.

Is this really so unusual - or do that many men dessert their wives and children??

still curious, and thank you for your time :)

peace, susan

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
I also would like to know what it would take to get someone over here for a period of two weeks to three months. Anyone out there with specific information?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Search the archives. This has been covered many times. The best place to ask questions is the American Consulate. Don't forget it's the getting into another country that's hard not getting out of the DR.

Here is a web site that might give you more answers
http://travel.state.gov/visa;visitors.html

Last edited: