Store that sells enamel model paint.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I need a small bottle of model paint. Actually, the amount left in a bottle that is about to be thrown out would be enough paint.

Any hobby type store that sells those small bottles of model paint somewhere between Puerto Plata and Cabarete?

I'd order from Amazon but this stuff is flammable so the shipping co. will tag it dangerous goods, add a fee and then the minimum shipping charges. The end result is shipping costs that are more expensive than the product itself.

Thx.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Is that enamel model paint very different from auto paint? There are places that sell auto paint to auto paint shops, and they can prepare any quantity starting from 1/16 gallon, any color.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Depending on the type of auto paint one uses, a clear coat may need to be applied to fix the paint and keep it from fading or flaking. I need very little of the stuff, just two small dabs and a 1/6 inch swipe. The surface to be painted is metal and at times can get a little warm.

A small bottle will last me several lifetimes. 1/16 of a gallon and I may have to run around tagging walls just to get rid of the stuff. Thx for the suggestion I'll keep it in mind.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
A small bottle will last me several lifetimes. 1/16 of a gallon and I may have to run around tagging walls just to get rid of the stuff. Thx for the suggestion I'll keep it in mind.

That 1/16 of a gallon from auto shop is about 300 or 400 pesos maybe, so use what you need and throw the rest away.

They sell clear coat too.

Anyway this is the highest quality enamel that you can find in DR.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A strong nail polish is my fall back plan. Might have to reapply more frequently, but in the end it all comes down to being easy to get (No 8 hour trip to SD and back).

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
of course you could ask an incoming traveler... meet them buy them dinner pick them up at the airport get the testors...

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Enamel paints are on the list of items prohibited in the checked baggage. I know that a small bottle of such paint is similar to the nail polish bottle that is allowed. But I don't think that somebody wants to play games with TSA now.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Much more flammable than nail polish. Definitely classified as a dangerous good and probably not allowed in the cabin of a passenger aircraft even in this small quantity, which is why I was hoping that some rich Dominican kids build and paint model Ferraris.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Try Abraxas bookstore in POP, its around the corner from your consulate office, same building. In the rear of the store, the toy department used to have model kits so they must include paints.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I bet you will find out that the auto shop paint is the best option. If they can sell you the paint for the real Ferrari, you can use it for the toy model Ferrari for sure.