bus crash on veron-higuey road

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...-transito-en-carretera-veron-higuey-XX1990088
diario libre reports at least 8 dead in this head on collision.

f4fajs.jpg

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Listening to the radio and it sounds very very bad. Reports say the bus coming from Higuey would have had a tire explode which caused the driver to lose control... That remains to be confirmed. Centro Medico Punta Cana is looking for O- and B- blood donors as they have several in critical condition. Latest report says over 10 dead and they haven't gotten the drivers out yet. Plenty of images on Twitter by searching "Veron".

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Here we go again... How many times now on that same road? These bus drivers drive like idiots. Nothing new. Sorry for the people inside.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
All injured have now been sent to local hospitals and the dead have been taken away. They're now working on trying to undo the very big traffic jam the accident caused. Anyone going to or from Higuey should take the Coral Highway.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Diario Libre mentions the names of those who died (source AMET). Wouldn't they wait till family is informed?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Why is it that Dominicans incessantly post photos on Twitter, etc., of the dead and injured every time there's a disaster or shooting of some kind?

It's a cultural thing I guess. Kids grow up seeing reports on tv and on the internet of dead people and cadavers and it's "normal". After 19 years it's still a challenge for me to look at the images of dead people and not feel a bit sick at least.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Years ago there was a story posted on DR1 of a bus accident where the driver's side of the bus was completely stripped away. Since seeing the photos of a decapitated head, arms, legs in the road, I always advise my family and friends not to ride in the front or the driver's side of transport vehicles in the D.R. whenever possible.

Many stories of accidents since then strongly supports this advice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
a little after 9 this morning I was in the Faculty Lounge at PUCMM, between classes, and a colleague said there has been a buss crash in Bavaro.

Immediately, I said two buses!.

Like many of you, I have driven that road several times, and the memories still send chills...It really is Butcher's Boulevard.

HB

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
a little after 9 this morning I was in the Faculty Lounge at PUCMM, between classes, and a colleague said there has been a buss crash in Bavaro.

Immediately, I said two buses!.

Like many of you, I have driven that road several times, and the memories still send chills...It really is Butcher's Boulevard.

HB

when i saw the headline, i immediately believed that it was a follow up story to the similar accident of just a few weeks ago. it seems like a monthly occurrence.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Listening to the radio and it sounds very very bad. Reports say the bus coming from Higuey would have had a tire explode which caused the driver to lose control... That remains to be confirmed. Centro Medico Punta Cana is looking for O- and B- blood donors as they have several in critical condition. Latest report says over 10 dead and they haven't gotten the drivers out yet. Plenty of images on Twitter by searching "Veron".

Every time there's as accident involving a bus the driver says (if he survived) a tire blew. This is total nonsense. They only reason they say it is to avoid being beaten to death.
Yes I am an expert in this. 30 plus years in the tire business gave me some knowledge that I haven't killed off yet.
If by chance a tire did fail it was probably because no one checked the air in it and the bus company does not have a maintenance program.
Driver error or stupidity is usually to blame.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Especially these a**holes driving hotel employees on that route are absolute scum, pea brained Michael Schumacher wannabees. These accidents are caused solely by the stupidity of these drivers.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Here we go again... How many times now on that same road? These bus drivers drive like idiots. Nothing new. Sorry for the people inside.

The problem is that even when a person is driving very defensively on this road, the buses come at such speed and so often partially on the wrong side of the road , that no one has a chance. There are numerous speed bumps but they seem to achieve little .These are very big buses for this road and I wonder if the answer is to have new road going from Higuey and meeting the Coral Highway more to the east .

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A bus transporting a lot of Melia Hotel workers was one of those in the crash. At least 6 workers from the Hotel are dead, and a lot are in the PC Clinic with serious injuries.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
A bus transporting a lot of Melia Hotel workers was one of those in the crash. At least 6 workers from the Hotel are dead, and a lot are in the PC Clinic with serious injuries.

That's the bus that was coming from Higuey. The other was from Coco Bongo taking employees back to Higuey.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Those bus drivers, do they keep a drive time log? I could only imagine thosd drivers are pulling 15 hour shifts. That and a few beers at lunch and trying to beat the clock.
I refuse to take the bus in the dr

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I really think Capitan75 that most routes are safe but when you leave Otra Banda and go either left or straight ahead you must take great care .The surrounds are extremely pretty but there are a lot of corners and small villages along the way . On the other hand I think the new autopista , Coral Highway, all the way from the capital to Bavaro gives a very safe bus trip .

May 5, 2007
Every time there's as accident involving a bus the driver says (if he survived) a tire blew. This is total nonsense. They only reason they say it is to avoid being beaten to death.
Yes I am an expert in this. 30 plus years in the tire business gave me some knowledge that I haven't killed off yet.
If by chance a tire did fail it was probably because no one checked the air in it and the bus company does not have a maintenance program.
Driver error or stupidity is usually to blame.
Don't most of those vehicles have a tire monitoring or pressure system?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Don't most of those vehicles have a tire monitoring or pressure system?

I doubt any functioning system would ever be maintained in DR. I myself have been in a coach when a tyre has blown, on the route from Santo Domingo to PUJ. I also was in a GuaGua when the tyre blew on the route from La Caleta to Juan dolio. I have also had car tyres blow out on me a few times on Las Americas (alright, so I pay RD800 for new tyre, but not the point), and in each occasion the main effect is the noise well before any handling problems. People have this understanding that real life blow outs are like they are in the movies, or on a 200MPH F1 race. The reality is that is isn't, a tyre blow out is extremely rare to cause massive handing upset at speeds below 100MPH under normal conditions.
Too many movies, too much bu11sh1t.
Your tyre blows out you simply slow down wondering what you've hit and within 3 or 4 seconds hear the tyre flapping against the bodywork and then pull over and wait for a moto passing by. In every case a moto has come to the rescue as there are no spare tyres that are not already in use in DR, that is obligatory!

Last edited: