Residency renewal procedure help appreciated.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
My permanent residency will be expired in a few months. I have been seeing come conflicting rules change info on google and seems like the new process has become quite intimidating. In the past I have been able to renew my own residency card without problems. It only cost me money. Now it seems I have to pay about 3 times as much money as before and have to do medical exam and blood test etc. Then the whole procedure can take 3 week? Yikexx!!. On top of that I was told I would need to get lawyers involved. Oh noooo.
I was told to find a guarantor or someone who would sign / vouch for me (another headache) then I also read somewhere that this requirement has now been deleted.
So my request is to someone who has been able to renew his permanent residency by him/herself and to please write down the exact steps and short cuts. Google search experts, I appreciate your intentions but I only want 1st hand knowledge by people who have been this road recently.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Read this thread. Lots of examples, DR1 is your friend :)

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php...ctions)/page17

I went to renew my residency for the fourth time last Monday. A few comments that may help others:

1. Only two copies + original are now needed.

2. My passport is expiring next June, so I didn't have the "required" 18 months. The lady that checked my paperwork said it's 6 months, not 18 as the instructions said.

3. Longer wait. 3 hours. Part of it my fault. I was told to wait after my photo was taken for my number to appear on the screen. I did not see anyone collecting their card from Window 10 (where they usually hand them out). I went to check after 45 minutes. My card had been there for over 30 minutes but no one called out. Don't wait that long. Pick up is always in Window 10.
I requested copies of instructions for all three procedures: renewal of temporary, renewal of permanent, and going from temporary to permanent. I'm travelling now. When I return the first week of September, I'll upload them, and translate the instructions for temporary to permanent.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...dency-Renewal-Procedure-(Instructions)/page17

You can also download the exact requirements and procedure from Immigration.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3uieh4p0cvqeudo/Renewal permanent residency.pdf?dl=0#

Looks like it's going to cost around RD$17,000 and a little more work, but nothing you cannot handle.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Read this thread. Lots of examples, DR1 is your friend :)

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php...ctions)/page17

I went to renew my residency for the fourth time last Monday. A few comments that may help others:

1. Only two copies + original are now needed.

2. My passport is expiring next June, so I didn't have the "required" 18 months. The lady that checked my paperwork said it's 6 months, not 18 as the instructions said.

3. Longer wait. 3 hours. Part of it my fault. I was told to wait after my photo was taken for my number to appear on the screen. I did not see anyone collecting their card from Window 10 (where they usually hand them out). I went to check after 45 minutes. My card had been there for over 30 minutes but no one called out. Don't wait that long. Pick up is always in Window 10.
I requested copies of instructions for all three procedures: renewal of temporary, renewal of permanent, and going from temporary to permanent. I'm travelling now. When I return the first week of September, I'll upload them, and translate the instructions for temporary to permanent.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...dency-Renewal-Procedure-(Instructions)/page17

You can also download the exact requirements and procedure from Immigration.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3uieh4p0cvqeudo/Renewal permanent residency.pdf?dl=0#

Looks like it's going to cost around RD$17,000 and a little more work, but nothing you cannot handle.

the 1st link to the thread is dead. then I read that other thread on how to do it yourself but most of it is on temporary residency. the dominican immigration webpage is also dud and the other dominican immigration page doesn't open up links to residency section. hahahaha
so now I know I can do it myself and it will run me around 17k pesos. my question is: how long this residency will be valid for ? for 17k pesos, they better give us a few years. do i have the option to renew for many more years in advance? I have been a resident for like 16 years. I don't own a property or a business here so I am unable to become a citizen. Hell, if things become so tough for us to live here I might as well move back to the good Old U S of A. the residency renewal process has become very intimidating and the fees have jumped 4 times. I often think about going back.
AZB

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
the 1st link to the thread is dead. then I read that other thread on how to do it yourself but most of it is on temporary residency. the dominican immigration webpage is also dud and the other dominican immigration page doesn't open up links to residency section. hahahaha
so now I know I can do it myself and it will run me around 17k pesos. my question is: how long this residency will be valid for ? for 17k pesos, they better give us a few years. do i have the option to renew for many more years in advance? I have been a resident for like 16 years. I don't own a property or a business here so I am unable to become a citizen. Hell, if things become so tough for us to live here I might as well move back to the good Old U S of A. the residency renewal process has become very intimidating and the fees have jumped 4 times. I often think about going back.
AZB

If you have been resident for 16 years you can apply for 'residencia definitiva'....see attached and it will make your life so much easier and cheaper too

http://www.migracion.gob.do/sitev1/...icitudes-de-residencia/residencia-definitiva/

It costs you 20k but your renewals every 5 years after that cost 2500rd. No medical it appears

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AZB

The links work for me. The Dropbox link allows you to download a scanned copy of the immigration notice, explaining in detail exactly what you need and all associated costs.

Instead of scanning, read....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Become a citizen and your worries will be over. Used to be real simple, don't know about now though.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The links work for me. The Dropbox link allows you to download a scanned copy of the immigration notice, explaining in detail exactly what you need and all associated costs.

Instead of scanning, read....

They work for you because you have Dropbox they didn't work for me :)

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I was at immigration today with an English woman who needed to renew her residency and it was a nightmare . Firstly just forget about the drop down boxinformation and fees that has all been changed and you can get a two page guide with what you need in the office. The good news is now you can get your documents legalised in the immigration office, nearthe bathrooms!!!
First you need to get your number for your turn and this is shown on a monitor ,,you sit on the right hand side .When your number comes up you go to the window,,but first do a check that you have ample copies of everything,,some you need 3 and now you must show the matricula of your car and the title of your house as well as the bank statement ..This time no need to have copies of the cedulas of your guarantor nor your witnesses...I know that sounds crazy.. You will be lucky if you have everything right and so you may have to get an extra copy of this or that from the copy machine at the back of the room...there was a large queque at time.
Having got through that step you are asked to sit on the other side of the room facing caja 1 to 4 ,although 2 and 3 were not operating.. After maybe an hour , the woman in the caja will call your name and will give you a slip of paper with a fee of 5000 pesos or 6000 if going VIP and you then go to the back of the room to pay the money at the bank who will stamp it and then you return to the caja with it. She will ask you to wait for your photo to be taken...even though you have already provided 2 . At this stage you go to the back of the room and exchange some identification for a security pass which permits you to have your photo taken. Soon you will be called inside and you will have your photos taken and more fingure prints because you have already given somein the initial step . You return your security pass for your ID and then move to seats on the right and wait for your name to be called so you can receive your new tarjeta de residencia . We arrived at 9.30 and left at 1.55 ...and that was having 90 % right.
There are so many different things this year but the most surprising was the copy of the car matricula...we had the copy of the matricula and the latest payment 2015.
Before a lawyer could get things done much faster...this time round they could do nothing ..so just have some one with you who speaks spanish....that helps . Please do not ask me to accompany you... I was at my wits end as we proceeeded and waited every process. ..now a whisky !!

palmiche53

Dec 17, 2012
I was at immigration today with an English woman who needed to renew her residency and it was a nightmare . Firstly just forget about the drop down boxinformation and fees that has all been changed and you can get a two page guide with what you need in the office. The good news is now you can get your documents legalised in the immigration office, nearthe bathrooms!!!
First you need to get your number for your turn and this is shown on a monitor ,,you sit on the right hand side .When your number comes up you go to the window,,but first do a check that you have ample copies of everything,,some you need 3 and now you must show the matricula of your car and the title of your house as well as the bank statement ..This time no need to have copies of the cedulas of your guarantor nor your witnesses...I know that sounds crazy.. You will be lucky if you have everything right and so you may have to get an extra copy of this or that from the copy machine at the back of the room...there was a large queque at time.
Having got through that step you are asked to sit on the other side of the room facing caja 1 to 4 ,although 2 and 3 were not operating.. After maybe an hour , the woman in the caja will call your name and will give you a slip of paper with a fee of 5000 pesos or 6000 if going VIP and you then go to the back of the room to pay the money at the bank who will stamp it and then you return to the caja with it. She will ask you to wait for your photo to be taken...even though you have already provided 2 . At this stage you go to the back of the room and exchange some identification for a security pass which permits you to have your photo taken. Soon you will be called inside and you will have your photos taken and more fingure prints because you have already given somein the initial step . You return your security pass for your ID and then move to seats on the right and wait for your name to be called so you can receive your new tarjeta de residencia . We arrived at 9.30 and left at 1.55 ...and that was having 90 % right.
There are so many different things this year but the most surprising was the copy of the car matricula...we had the copy of the matricula and the latest payment 2015.
Before a lawyer could get things done much faster...this time round they could do nothing ..so just have some one with you who speaks spanish....that helps . Please do not ask me to accompany you... I was at my wits end as we proceeeded and waited every process. ..now a whisky !!

Just try to be a RESIDENT OF THE EUROPEAN UNION, USA or CANADA ! Being a RESIDENT OF THE D.R. or the
RENEWAL PROCESS is A PIECE OF CAKE. The Problem is you want to be A DO IT YOURSELF which the HOME DEPOT PHILOSOPY.
Stop being a CHEAPSKATE and pay RD$20,000 to a lawyer to have your problems go away.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Stop being a CHEAPSKATE and pay RD$20,000 to a lawyer to have your problems go away.

That's not particularly fair. Some people don't have a lot of money to spare and a choice between rent or food and a lawyer seems pretty straight forward to me. On the other hand, I'm a firm believer in the gist of your advice. My renewal is coming up and there is no way I have the time, patience or interest in doing this myself. I don't live near SD so mistakes or omissions can be costly in time and money to correct. I wouldn't fix my car myself so I consider the cost of having someone do all for of the leg work for me, so all I have to do is show up, not smile, and walk away with a minimum of waiting, money well spent.

To each their own. Having the latest requirements and steps to be followed will be a big help to those whose annual or biennial pilgrimage is on the horizon and extra money is an issue .

Jan 17, 2009
I posted those documents. They should work for anyone, whether you use dropbox or not. They are in my public folder, and visible to anyone. If you have a better idea of how to include a PDF file, let me know.

They work for you because you have Dropbox they didn't work for me :)

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Palmiche 53..I am not a cheapskate and I thoroughly recommend using a lawyer to guide you through the visa and residency application the first time. The line for the copying ervice was full of lawyers who were equally caught out by the new requirements so it may as well you in the line to the copy machine as them . The actual topic is RENEWAL of Dominican residency and not other countries so that is why I detailed my report . For people coming down from the north for the renewal ,it is important to have all documents in your satchel whether wanted or not ..not so difficult. Your two statemnets from your sponsor and the witnesses , passport ,cedula,car matricula, property title, letter of solicitud although they provide a form for that in the office , letters from the bank, non criminal record and just in case, copies of cedulas of sponsor and witnesses. Remember to have the two legal documents notarised first and then legalised in the immigration office.
I forgot to mention two things.. The queques do seem larger between 10 and 11 in the morning and there are several people there to answer questions..that helps but just get your number and wait for the process to begin..with patience

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have been living here since 1998 and have renewed my residency 2 times already. Now I plan on renewing permanent residency where i don't have to go through medical check every time I renew my residency.
By the way, my residency was permanent but it seems now there is a new permanent , permanent. don't know what that means but i plan on getting it. I didn't see any mention of medical checkup and x rays in kipling333's post. could you please clarify this part? oh and I thought I don't need a garante or sponsor. now I see i need their documents?
AZB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
check in to the 10 yr tarjeta....

they say, after 10 yrs residency you can renew for 10.....

maybe somebody can verify this

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
please do tell us about the medical exam, blood test and chest x rays etc.
AZB

Jan 17, 2009
AZB,

My husband did it a couple of years ago. You renew your permanent residency for five years now. And yes, you need a medical.

The first step is to go to Immigration and purchase the application form and pay for the medical. You don't need yet the rest of the documents that you submit only with the application, and only when you have the results of your medical.

You will be told where to go for your medical (which you can do that same day). Then you wait for about ten days for them to send the results to immigration. Then you can go back, pick up your medical, and submit your renewal application, and leave Immigration with your new residency card, valid for five years. If you want me to email you the PDF with instructions, send me a PM with your email address.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
AZB yes I was helping a lady who was doing the residency for the third time and there was no medical . But when you reach the stage of permanent residency ..that is you only have to renew every five years ..then you may have to have that two part medical but I did not but I renewed several years ago.. And yes everything changes all the time . It all seems ridiculous for people who have been 20 years or so and are getting on in years ..what are they going to do if they see you have a weak chest..send you packing??

Jan 17, 2009
".what are they going to do if they see you have a weak chest..send you packing??"

They do a drug test too !!

"when you reach the stage of permanent residency ..that is you only have to renew every five years ..then you may have to have that two part medical"

You DO need medical for renewal of PERMANENT residency, not for renewal of TEMPORARY residency. Also medical is required for anyone ready to go from temporary to permanent.

Jan 17, 2009
Five. See my last post about renewing temporary residency. http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...dency-Renewal-Procedure-(Instructions)/page17 and scroll down to my post of September 11th which answers exactly your question here.

I'll be probably one of the first ones to go from temporary to permanent this year (July). I think I was one of the first ones who thanks to an unskillful lawyer got caught with the "temporary" when I was due for "permanent".

Can anyone confirm how many temporaries before first permanent? thx