What's with these rolling road blocks?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Courtesy of MOPC and their white pick-ups.

Today a half a km tailback caused by one of these muppets doing 20kph right in the middle of the road on the Cabarete - Sosua highway all the way past the airport. He was right on the center line so that no one could overtake safely, and many didn't want to chance it, causing the tailback.

They are starting to become a nuisance. Even worse at night as they do not understand headlight dipping etiquette, not that those flashing LED roof lights don't ruin what was left of your night vision.

Perhaps there are not enough accidents for them to attend to, so it's their way of drumming up business.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Where between Cabarete and Sosua is there an airport?

Ok, I'll clarify. I joined the tailback between Cabarete and Sosua on my way to the airport. The MOPC truck pulled over just after the entrance to the airport.

Any more pedants out there?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's their plan for safe travel, kinda. they normally do it during holidays. it's called carreteo. we went for thanksgiving dinner today and saw there was a lot more cars than usual, especially trucks. they deliver xmas mudanza and extra stock to shops and warehouses. maybe MOPC was slowing them down in that particular area.

here is an example, from last year's semana santa:

63ups3.jpg

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
They do it on slow days to cause accidents and that way they generate business :) :)

Bob K

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
They also have an extortion road block by the old Breezes. The tourism ministry should be so proud; we met eight tourists yesterday who may never visit again thanks to the Policia Nacional. Each time they went out in their rental car this week they were ask to "donate" and were too terrified to complain and paid each time! Sure hope someone who has tourism minister contacts reads this thread.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I also noticed the dangerous and silly rolling road block by a MOPC truck on the way to the POP airport the other day.
MOPC is generally a good thing, but these slow rolling road blocks are not.

Also got stopped and checked by PN near the old resort entrance, but no money requested or given.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Those PN "donation" road checks are always more frequent at this time of year (holiday season).

Bob K

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Those PN "donation" road checks are always more frequent at this time of year (holiday season).

Bob K

Bingo. We were just saying at after passing through another one today on the way to Sosua from Cabarete.
Bohica, Bob K..

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
at least after the "onion wages" youtube video, we now know what the correct payment to the pn extortion roadblocks should be.
i always have 16 pesos to hand in case they stop me