Black Friday live and well in SD

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Went to plaza Lama on Duarte at 10am this morning.

It was a mad house it took forever to find a worker to help you. Actually I felt bad for the workers. You know how inconsiderate Dominicans can be when jumping in line. Well today brought it to a new level for me.

When I finally got a worker to help me, he had at least three old ladies pulling on him like a pack of wild dogs. I almost told the ladies hey wait your turn. To the employee credit, he told the ladies to wait while he helped me. First time I saw a Dominican Multi task.

I was able to purchase one of my items, the first was already sold out. Now waiting in line to pay was the worst part of the experience. The lines moved very slow and some people picked the wrong items, only to send a relative to retrieve the right item or the right slip. Which slowed the line more.

If you don't know, when you buy an electronic at PL you just don't grab it off the shelves, someone has to write a slip and put a sticker on it for the cashier to scan or type in.

The worst part that even made the Dominicans in my line voice anger was two ladies whom bought over 50k worth of items, but paid for it with 5 different bank/credit cards. What really got people upset was the lady's card wouldn't go through, and everyone had to wait while she called her bank.

Speaking of Dominicans buying, nearly everyone I saw was spending, over 10k. Don't know how much was credit but it did bust my bubble on poor Dominicans.

Well after 2 hrs I finally made purchase. Yes entered at 10 exited at 12. Never again. Lol

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Can someone tell me what was the letters being presented at check out? Some looked lik they had letter heads of banks on them. Do you think it was line of credit from a bank.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
It is no surprise 'Black Friday' is a hit in DR. Only that they are not actually selling Black slaves (although there is some of this going on in Colmado workers and the exchange the owners have in negotiations) is surprising. I know it has moved on, but please, change that reference if you truly expect our people and brothers to move on with us.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
I saved a ton of money this Black Friday! Did not buy a thing. I find it ironic people pushing others over to buy thing they do not need the day after being thankful for what they do have.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I went to Corripio yesterday, 'pre'-black friday. The HDMI port of my 26" TV doesn't work anymore, so I can't use my apple tv, meaning no netflix except for on phone and tablet, no dutch tv, etc. I thought I would take advantage of black friday and buy a new TV. Went for a 48" samsung of 2014, there were like 8 there when I arrived, I took a stroll through the store and when I was back at the TV's I saw someone getting the last one.

In the end I bought a 50" samsung of this year, saved 20,000 pesos apparently and they gave me a dvd home theater worth 179 dollars on amazon (which I put for sale on emarket today).

When deciding to buy the store clerk brought me to the line in the store, I asked him: tell me honestly, how long does it take more or less. He said, sometimes it's fast, 45 minutes, or else an hour. I translated that to, 2 hours at least, maybe 3. I took the line anyway, that was at 3.15pm yesterday.

I left the store around 8.45pm with the TV and the home theater. I've never done anything like this, making a line for hours to get something, but I must say I'm happy with the TV and paid just a little more than I was expecting to pay for an older and smaller model.

In the store they gave some Pringles and little cartons of juice. The reason it took so long apparently was that the POS system froze every now and then and would stay frozen for a while or be very slow. But after taking the line for 2 hours I wasn't thinking of leaving it.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I went to Corripio yesterday, 'pre'-black friday. The HDMI port of my 26" TV doesn't work anymore, so I can't use my apple tv, meaning no netflix except for on phone and tablet, no dutch tv, etc. I thought I would take advantage of black friday and buy a new TV. Went for a 48" samsung of 2014, there were like 8 there when I arrived, I took a stroll through the store and when I was back at the TV's I saw someone getting the last one.

In the end I bought a 50" samsung of this year, saved 20,000 pesos apparently and they gave me a dvd home theater worth 179 dollars on amazon (which I put for sale on emarket today).

When deciding to buy the store clerk brought me to the line in the store, I asked him: tell me honestly, how long does it take more or less. He said, sometimes it's fast, 45 minutes, or else an hour. I translated that to, 2 hours at least, maybe 3. I took the line anyway, that was at 3.15pm yesterday.

I left the store around 8.45pm with the TV and the home theater. I've never done anything like this, making a line for hours to get something, but I must say I'm happy with the TV and paid just a little more than I was expecting to pay for an older and smaller model.

In the store they gave some Pringles and little cartons of juice. The reason it took so long apparently was that the POS system froze every now and then and would stay frozen for a while or be very slow. But after taking the line for 2 hours I wasn't thinking of leaving it.

Mauricio, you stood on line from 3.15 to 8:00 PM ?

I am an avid online Black friday shopper :)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Mauricio, you stood on line from 3.15 to 8:00 PM ?

I am an avid online Black friday shopper :)

Yes I did. I would buy online if it would work here, but it doesn't. At least not for these limited quantity offers. Casa Cuesta had supposedly online sales, but apparently it were only 10 products.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
La Sirena here in Puerto Plata had 3,488,972 people in it today. (My count!) After finding what we wanted we stood in line for a bit over an hour to check out. The couple with us gave up before finding someone to sell them a microwave oven.

We were lucky, as we had to go buy a small birthday cake from there, and there is an additional check-out point where they sell the cakes and other panaderia stuff. In the end we stood in the line for about 4-5 minutes. They gave us the receipt and put the cake into the white plastic bag with the red tape, and off we went fast through the main entrance, bypassing all the main cashiers...

You are right, the lines to the main check-out points were insanely long, my wife just wanted to get out fast...