CORAAPLATA to install water meters on the north coast

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While paying our bill at CORAAPLATA today I was told that they are going to install water meters and charge for the amount of water used in the near future instead of just a fixed price billing system like they have now.

I told them it would be better if they figured out how to provide water at good pressure and 24/7 to people now that the drought is over. Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with paying for the amount used. Just would like it to be available whenever.

So expect that change soon, whatever soon means to them. This is like a deja vu with Edenorte. And so it goes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am happy to pay providing they still deliver the water the way they do now (we never had any issues with water where we live).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i am happy to pay providing they still deliver the water the way they do now (we never had any issues with water where we live).

Then the only thing they can do is get worse for you. That will be easy for them.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
Nice. I won't pay much then, becauae the last 3 months we didn't get water in our street.
And they say they can deliver a truck with water for free (because we jeep paying our bills) but that truck can't reach our cinterna.....

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I assume they'll fix the infrastructure first so that gallons of water won't be pouring into the streets and leaking into the ground. And, the pressure problems...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You are so practical. Did the clerk laugh at your suggestion?

It was more of a confused look.

I assume they'll fix the infrastructure first so that gallons of water won't be pouring into the streets and leaking into the ground. And, the pressure problems...

Now that is funny. That would require forethought and planning.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

...and not being potable. That's probably asking too much.

How many meters do you think will be bypassed by creative home owners?

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
They have filled out cistern twice in 2015.... so not sure how they think meters will help. I don't pay for what I don't receive. All fools.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Been here 10 years, back then I asked for a water meter, so we would only pay for what we used. Otherwise, according to the water guy we
we would have to pay 10,000 Peso's a month, we have a pool. This emergency water metor took 10 months before it was installed and I had to pay an additional 10,000 pesos' for it.. Once installed we are
charged only for what we use. Really, not so sure. When they came to install it I had to go to the store and buy the parts (PVC) they needed to install the meter. They
used my tools and complained it took me too long to get all the parts. After several hours the job was complete. I use water from the street for the house and the pool, when
and if it comes in and every month is costs me 435 peso's. During the dry season or the wet season its still the same. 335 peso's for the water
and 100 pesos for sewage. Go figure. Oh if you don't get water then you can ask them to deliver it at no cost. Tried that several times, they never show up.
Good luck with the meter. Oh Only the water department gets a key to the water meter box, so you can never read it yourself. In the dry season no water for several months, you still get charged for
435 peso's. Tried to fight that, its useless.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Water meter installed yesterday

True to their word, CORAAPLATA installed my water meter yesterday. I spoke to the local office manager. He said the price will be between 8 to 10 pesos per cubic meter depending upon the type of house you have. I translate that to if you are a gringo, you pay 10 pesos while Dominicans pay 8 (or maybe just steal water and they look the other way).

When I asked about the low water pressure, he told me they were working on a new pumping station in La Catalina and that the current tubes from La Catalina to Sosua were sufficient in diameter to bring the pressure back up. He had no idea when the work at La Catalina would be completed and the situation "normalized"..

I did notice CORAAPLATA also ripping up the streets in Charamicos making a huge mess. Probably to install new meters as well.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
We have had water meters in ProCab, Cabarete for over a month now. The first bill I had after installation was exactly the same as I have been paying for years, but it came with a letter telling me exactly how much I could save if I was more careful with water.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Makes sense in the city. Cabarete was supposed to have a sewer system, but they have yet to figure it out.
I bet the charge the 100 pesos to us for it anyway.

my mothers house in the states had to pay for the sewer and she was not hooked up to it. Not uncommon. After she died we called and had them hook it up to sell home.