Airfare from SD to El Portillo? Hotel in Las Terrenas?

RandR

Jan 24, 2002
Am now considering the bus, but does anyone know what the current rate is to fly to El Portillo from Santo Domingo via Air Santo Domingo? Also, are these flights considered safe by locals?
Also, can anyone recommend a mid-fare hotel in Las Terrenas?
Thanks!

Skip

Jan 24, 2002
Hi,

"Villa Caracol" on a little road ("Calle Chicago Boss") off the beach (809-240-6078) is about $30 or less, is clean, with ac, fridge, hot water bath and security box, no tv in room, small restaurant downstairs. Particularly nice Dominican people run it; in super quiet setting about 2 minutes walk to the beach.

If you go there please mention I said hello. (Actually I hate to give this little pearl away, but they do deserve more business.)

Bests, Skip

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The Air Santo Domingo airfare from Herrera airport in Santo Domingo to El Portillo airstrip is about $50 to $60usd one way. A year ago I paid about $100usd round trip. Other than landing on a rough strip at el Portillo (it's slightly in need of repair) the flight is perfectly safe. The Czechoslovakian-made aircraft are twin turboprops, a bit basic and noisy, but we haven't lost any lately. LOL!

You can find information (including prices) about some of the hotels in Las Terrenas at www.samana.net There are a number of good mid-price hotels with most being oceanfront. And with this winter season being somewhat slow due to recent world events, you may get a discounted rate.