Can we hire US citizens without cedula?

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
We want to know if we can hire US citizens without cedula, they will work in DR but they will be employees of the parent company in NY not the local company in DR, is this possible?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Pay them in the USA and you shouldn't run into any DR problems down the road. You may have to submit tax documents to the IRS depending on the applicable regulations.

You can always invite your employees to get legal then you as an employer have more latitude to do what is is the best interests of the company.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Pay them in the USA and you shouldn't run into any DR problems down the road. You may have to submit tax documents to the IRS depending on the applicable regulations.

You can always invite your employees to get legal then you as an employer have more latitude to do what is is the best interests of the company.

That sounds like a good idea and legal, we just don't want to break any labor laws since we know how strict they are

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We want to know if we can hire US citizens without cedula, they will work in DR but they will be employees of the parent company in NY not the local company in DR, is this possible?

They will still need a working visa or cedula if they are actually working for X period in the DR, regardless of who is paying their wages. This is true of just about every country on the planet. When I work for USA clients on USA soil, I need a B1 visa, although as a British Citizen I can travel visa free to the USA and all billing is done via a non USA corp.

Can you get around it in the DR, is the law badly enforced? Yes, this is the DR after all. Although.... They can still sue you for liquidation, medical etc, that you might want to take into account. Yes, I have seen this happen.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Yes you can if you and they both do not care about breaking DR laws. They would need residency to legally work in the DR.

Last edited:

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Can you get around it in the DR, is the law badly enforced? Yes, this is the DR after all. Although.... They can still sue you for liquidation, medical etc, that you might want to take into account. Yes, I have seen this happen.

Yes, that's our main fear

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Your workers would also need residency to drive legally in the DR after their foreign licenses are no longer valid.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Yes you can if you and they both do not care about breaking DR laws. They would need residency to legally work in the DR.

We are free zone, we would not break any labor laws, if it's not legal to hire them then we won't, we just need US citizen for a special project for which our clients require us citizens only, but we will need to then hire only those US citizens who have legal working status in DR.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I know of several call centers who employ Americans without any documentation. They fly under the radar. So many
call centers are operating here on an informal basis its hard to keep count. The call center industry is growing down here but
I don?t see too many Americans lining up to work for Dominican call center salaries.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010

How can this possibly be legal?? They will be staying illegally in the DR and if reported , they will could be sent back to the USA in exactly the same way as Haitians are .. One of the main purposes of the act is to legalise people living in the DR and I think Americans should try to comply with the laws as much as others should do

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I can not understand Americans who deliberately are trying to get around the residency laws here in the DR ..can someone explain for me??

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
How can this possibly be legal?? They will be staying illegally in the DR and if reported , they will could be sent back to the USA in exactly the same way as Haitians are .. One of the main purposes of the act is to legalise people living in the DR and I think Americans should try to comply with the laws as much as others should do

If I had a hundred dollars for every person working in Punta Cana with no Cedula I could retire. But wait, I am retired already. :squareeye

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I can not understand Americans who deliberately are trying to get around the residency laws here in the DR ..can someone explain for me??

Agree, and pay them comical wages, and do it here so they can avoid U.S tax's. Trying to get over on uncle sam is a bad business model

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Agree, and pay them comical wages, and do it here so they can avoid U.S tax's. Trying to get over on uncle sam is a bad business model

If you live here enough days out of the year (outside the U.S. to qualify for expat status) unless you make over $93,000 you are not "getting over" on uncle sam, as up to that amount you are exempt.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Kip, my views on non-legit people living in the DR are well documented but not what the OP was asking. I assumed they wanted to hire people to sit at home and do some sort of work for a US company. If these employees have to report to a specific place to do that work, then that would indeed be a different kettle of fish.

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Deleted. Start a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you will be doing business in the Dominican Republic, you should consult with a knowledgeable lawyer. Money spent on legal advice will be savings because you will avoid getting into costly labor cases.

To answer the original poster's question about hiring without a cedula… Yes, US citizens can be hired without cedula. You could ask about the Business Visa. This would make legal foreigners working temporarily in the Dominican Republic.

You can download more information on the Dominican Republic Embassy in Washington, D. C. website

Business Visa for employment purposes
DESCRIPTION
Business visas are issued for work purposes to those who by nature of their occupation will remain in the Dominican Republic for a year without necessarily having to leave the country. This visa is usually awarded to individuals who are fulfilling fixed-term contracts in public or private companies established in the country and may be renewed for further periods of one year while the employment contract is still valid. Beneficiaries of this visa can apply for driver's license, open a bank account and enjoy applicable customs facilities.

http://www.domrep.org/visa.html