changing your departure date

irrrrrnal

Aug 8, 2006
I have a friend who is coming to the DR in a couple of weeks for a 1 week stay. While she's here she'll be looking
for an apartment in Puerto Plata (probably Costambar). When she finds one (being very optimistic here) she will
change her departure date to 4 months down the road. Being a snowbird (well travelled, but not to the DR)
should she make a trip to the airport and tell Immigration and get a stamp of some sort? Or just leave her visitor visa "as is" and just pay the overstay when she leaves.
My concern is she's going from a 1 week departure date to a 4 month departure date.
Some direction would be appreciated.
Thanks!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have a friend who is coming to the DR in a couple of weeks for a 1 week stay. While she's here she'll be looking
for an apartment in Puerto Plata (probably Costambar). When she finds one (being very optimistic here) she will
change her departure date to 4 months down the road. Being a snowbird (well travelled, but not to the DR)
should she make a trip to the airport and tell Immigration and get a stamp of some sort? Or just leave her visitor visa "as is" and just pay the overstay when she leaves.
My concern is she's going from a 1 week departure date to a 4 month departure date.
Some direction would be appreciated.
Thanks!

The tourist card is good for 30 days. If she overstays she will just have to pay the fee when she finally leaves the DR.

Downeaster

Mar 20, 2015
I just flew out of Puerto Plata after a stay of 6 weeks and was charged 2500 rd departure tax. I argued that I had a 60 day tourist card and was told that the law had just been changed back to 30 days. I received a receipt and the name of the official.