Travel Visa for Dominicans - USA/Canada???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
How difficult is it for a Dominican resident to receive a travel VISA to the United States or Cananda for a vacation visit?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
In general terms, it can be very easy. If the applicant has significant ties to the D.R. and a huge bank balance and owns a hotel chain. Easy.
If a regular Dominican, impossible nearly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A well to do DR citizen has a much better chance. The person must prove to the interviewing agent that they will without a doubt return to the DR before the visiting visa period expires. Any connections that person has in the USA are negatives. The connections must be in the DR to make them return home. Steady job, bank account, family, house, car all in the DR.

Once in while people get lucky.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Well, I am not from US, so I need US visa to enter US. Instead of going to US Consulate with my home country passport, I went there with my Dominican passport. They asked me if I have another citizenship, I said yes. They asked me why I want to have my US visa in my Dominican passport, I said why not? I live here, so it's logical. They gave me US visa for 10 years in my Dominican Passport, no problem at all. I do not have any job here, I am not retired (too young for that), I don't have any strong ties to DR really, I just live here but I can leave any moment if I want.. No Dominican wife, no children. I had my apartment title and car matricula with me, but they did not ask me to show it. The statement from Banco Popular was about less than 10,000 dollars in my account since I use Dominican bank account only for my expenses here, I transfer 10,000 here and after I spend them I transfer another 10,000 and so on...

P.S. that was about 6 years ago

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Can you give us a hint what country your native passport is from?
Your situation is totally different from The OP's, you have another passport.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Can you give us a hint what country your native passport is from?
Your situation is totally different from The OP's, you have another passport.

My native country is even worse for US visa than DR, they can give me 3 years maximum in my passport. In Dominican passport they gave me 10 years visa.

Actually OP was asking about visa for Dominican resident, so that can be even a person with another country passport and the residence here, right?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Gringo Starr;1647907 Actually OP was asking about visa for Dominican [B said:
resident[/B], so that can be even a person with another country passport and the residence here, right?

That is a point that needs to be clarified. If the person is a DR resident and not a DR citizen, then their actual home country comes into play regarding the qualifications for visitor?s visas.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
My native country is even worse for US visa than DR, they can give me 3 years maximum in my passport. In Dominican passport they gave me 10 years visa.

Actually OP was asking about visa for Dominican resident, so that can be even a person with another country passport and the residence here, right?

Needs to be clarified if Visa is for his novia with a Dominican passport, or his pal with another passport.
You are twisting this a little bit, so no borscht for you Igor.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
That is a point that needs to be clarified. If the person is a DR resident and not a DR citizen, then their actual home country comes into play regarding the qualifications for visitor?s visas.

Well, in my case I have two passports, I need visa for any of them to enter US, so I got it in my Dominican passport with no problem at all.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Well, I am not from US, so I need US visa to enter US. Instead of going to US Consulate with my home country passport, I went there with my Dominican passport. They asked me if I have another citizenship, I said yes. They asked me why I want to have my US visa in my Dominican passport, I said why not? I live here, so it's logical. They gave me US visa for 10 years in my Dominican Passport, no problem at all. I do not have any job here, I am not retired (too young for that), I don't have any strong ties to DR really, I just live here but I can leave any moment if I want.. No Dominican wife, no children. I had my apartment title and car matricula with me, but they did not ask me to show it. The statement from Banco Popular was about less than 10,000 dollars in my account since I use Dominican bank account only for my expenses here, I transfer 10,000 here and after I spend them I transfer another 10,000 and so on...

P.S. that was about 6 years ago

I have never dealt with anything US-related (other than changed planes in JFK and MIA a few times many years ago), so this is just a hunch, but just thinking:

As it was mentioned by poster AZB in another visa-related thread, important is also how you behave (naturally) and what you know.

If you make it clear that you have more than one passport and have your (even limited) papers right, I would imagine that this alone would impress the embassy officials. Having achieved what you presented there, tells the officials that you more or less know what you are doing, and can be transparent about facts should you need to.

I would also imagine, that in case of many Dominicans (I apologize if this sounds offensive, the point is, that I?d like to think this wasn?t true) this happens extremely seldom. There?s lack of transparency and general knowledge and horrible lack of simple preparation.

Like I have mentioned, my wife was granted her first ever Schengen visa in two hours and with close to none interviewing because we both like to keep papers in order, know exactly what we want/can do and we dress to the occasion.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Well if he doesn't reply soon I'll edit this thread since his chatter doesn't help anyone.

I applied for US visa as a Dominican citizen. And this is what this thread is about. The passport submitted to the Embassy was Dominican.

I did not show any real estate or car titles, I did not have any job in DR, I did not have a lot of money on my Dominican bank account, I did not show any strong ties with DR. I spoke English during the interview, they did not ask me if I speak Spanish. My another passport is from the country that also require visa to US, so that passport did not help at all. They asked me if I still have it, I said yes. But I even did not have it with me at the Embassy.

By the way, I know a Dominican girl, she is a student at UASD, has no job, no money, no husband, no children, lives in 9 1/2 km on Autopista Duarte (a shlthole ghetto) and she's got US visitor visa with no problem and visited US three times with her friends.

So this

Steady job, bank account, family, house, car all in the DR.

If the applicant has significant ties to the D.R. and a huge bank balance and owns a hotel chain. Easy.
If a regular Dominican, impossible nearly.

is totally wrong.

P.S. Visa to Canada is much more difficult.

Last edited:

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
There are lot of Dominican folks with equity of less than 50 k US who have US visas. It is not a rich and famous thing. Have you seen the Dominicans (not Dominican Yorks) that fly economy on Spirit Air or Jet Blue ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I applied for US visa as a Dominican citizen. And this is what this thread is about. The passport submitted to the Embassy was Dominican.

I did not show any real estate or car titles, I did not have any job in DR, I did not have a lot of money on my Dominican bank account, I did not show any strong ties with DR. I spoke English during the interview, they did not ask me if I speak Spanish. My another passport is from the country that also require visa to US, so that passport did not help at all. They asked me if I still have it, I said yes. But I even did not have it with me at the Embassy.

By the way, I know a Dominican girl, she is a student at UASD, has no job, no money, no husband, no children, lives in 9 1/2 km on Autopista Duarte (a shlthole ghetto) and she's got US visitor visa with no problem and visited US three times with her friends.

So this

is totally wrong.

P.S. Visa to Canada is much more difficult.

No, it is not "totally" wrong. Once in a while people get a visitor's visa to the USA without having everything that was mentioned but THAT IS VERY RARE.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
No, it is not "totally" wrong. Once in a while people get a visitor's visa to the USA without having everything that was mentioned but THAT IS VERY RARE.

There is the official statistics of declined US visas percentage for every country. I don't know where to find it, but I know that it exists because I saw those numbers for some countries (not DR). But without seeing those numbers you can't say that it's almost impossible or very rare.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
There is the official statistics of declined US visas percentage for every country. I don't know where to find it, but I know that it exists because I saw those numbers for some countries (not DR). But without seeing those numbers you can't say that it's almost impossible or very rare.

Well since this is about the DR that has been the experience of many on this board or those that have come and gone. We are not going to discuss what other countries are able to get a US or Canadian visitor visa.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Well since this is about the DR that has been the experience of many on this board or those that have come and gone. We are not going to discuss what other countries are able to get a US or Canadian visitor visa.

Well. I still can't find the percentage of declined visa statistics, maybe it's not published for DR, but this is what I found:

in 2014 there were 62,752 non-immigrant visas issued in Santo Domingo. Source: http://travel.state.gov/content/dam...014AnnualReport/FY14AnnualReport-TableXIX.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.