Work on Environmental rehabilitation of the channel La Cienaga (Cabarete) and Laguna

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Work on Environmental rehabilitation of the channel La Cienaga (Cabarete) and Laguna Goleta begins

PUERTO PLATA The Provincial Directorate of Environment initiated the rehabilitation of the canal that marks La Cienaga of the municipal district of Cabarete and Punta Goleta resort that, with the collaboration of the National Institute of Hydraulic Resources (INDRHI) and the District Board.
It is specified that this work had been claimed by different sectors as a way of preserving the lagoon Goleta as part of the Natural Monument of Cabarete and precisely these tasks will be running with a backhoe, provided by the INDRHI, they will aim existing villages which are flooded, instead there will be new homes built in the area of ​​the lagoon.
To review the value of such work, the provincial director of Environment in Puerto Plata; Mr. Carlos Finke said that this is one of the most important actions of his administration as it fails to protect this important natural resource of the community of Cabarete and this work will continue to reach the sector Callej?n de la Loma, in order to create a barrier between the hamlet and lagoon.

Before starting the work, Finke with Governor province; Dr. Ivan Rivera and the director of the District Board of Cabarete, Raquel Sierra, previously met with community leaders and social representatives of neighborhood associations, churches and sports clubs to reach a consensus on how such work would be undertaken .
Source: Detras del Rumor
Dec 2, 2015

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Does anyone have more information on what is actually to be done? There are thousands of people living on public land illegally. Land which floods. Land which drains directly into the lagoon with all of the waste they produce.

I would hope that the reclamation project relocates those people away from public wetlands, but I suspect my hope is baseless. I suspect they will dig a few trenches with a back hoe and call it a day.