A Weekend in Las Terrenas: What to do?

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
A few days ago my wife and I were trying to figure out when the last time we were able to get away for some time alone without our son, and we determined that it was five years ago when we went to Puerto Rico. We've been able to get away on some of my work trips, but that doesn't count! Am I right, ladies? Please don't throw stones at me!!!

So, we're going to get away alone this weekend, and I've already booked a reputable hotel in Las Terrenas, per the recommendations that I've read on DR1. But, what is there to do that would totally put a smile on Mrs. Gringonazo's face? We'll be eating out for dinner Friday and Saturday nights. Mrs. Gringonazo loves the beach and nature. So, which LT beaches are the prettiest? Any other nature recommendations and points of interest? I sincerely appreciate your help.

I've done some searching, but haven't seen any "weekend-specific" posts for LT; so maybe this thread can serve for those who are looking for a quick getaway to LT.

?Salud!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
somebody will chime in here.
one hotel , name of which I forget, has one of Mitterand's chefs cooking there.
Playa Bonita, I think.

That might be worth a meal

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
A few days ago my wife and I were trying to figure out when the last time we were able to get away for some time alone without our son, and we determined that it was five years ago when we went to Puerto Rico. We've been able to get away on some of my work trips, but that doesn't count! Am I right, ladies? Please don't throw stones at me!!!

So, we're going to get away alone this weekend, and I've already booked a reputable hotel in Las Terrenas, per the recommendations that I've read on DR1. But, what is there to do that would totally put a smile on Mrs. Gringonazo's face? We'll be eating out for dinner Friday and Saturday nights. Mrs. Gringonazo loves the beach and nature. So, which LT beaches are the prettiest? Any other nature recommendations and points of interest? I sincerely appreciate your help.

I've done some searching, but haven't seen any "weekend-specific" posts for LT; so maybe this thread can serve for those who are looking for a quick getaway to LT.

?Salud!

If you really want a very relaxing Saturday afternoon go to Luis' restaurant in Coson, for lunch(not opened for dinner) It is located right on the beach and is very informal. They have grilled lobster, shrimp, chicken and fish with the sides, rice and bean, papa fritas and ensalada. Also you can get drinks. Wear your bathing suit and swim and take a walk along a beautiful stretch of beach that goes on for kms. You used to be able to find sand dollars along this stretch. Also the wave action here is very nice. to get to Luis' take the road to Coson and turn left across from the water plant. Follow that road until you cross a small cement bridge and you will then see a small sign on your right for the driveway into the restaurant. The food is great and the beach is fabulous. For dinner in Lt go to either Tre Caraveles or La Yuca Caliente (great authentic Italian)If you have never been to Cascada Limon it is always fun to ride the horses up to the falls or go on a ATV tour. In LT the best beach in Plays Las Ballenas which is on the beach road (paver stones) past the Fisherman's Village Restaurants and Bars. The beach starts past the Aliesie Hotel and down all the way to the Colibri is a great stretch. Any place to go for drinks and tapas is Mojitos which is located at Punta Popi beach. They serve authentic Cuban food. Get the sampler platter. Have some fun and romance

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
somebody will chime in here.
one hotel , name of which I forget, has one of Mitterand's chefs cooking there.
Playa Bonita, I think.

That might be worth a meal

Atlantis on Playa Bonita........a quieter beach and that may be better for the weekend since Playa Las Ballenas can get quite busy and noisy.

Coson is the gem though.......long sandy and picturesque and virtually empty.......that is except for Luis which is a very rustic set up and attracts plenty of visitors weekdays and weekends.....go early at weekends is my advice. Coson is a long curving beach and one can walk from Playa Bonita and the Atlantis around the point and all the way to Luis and way beyond......alternatively take a mule.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Thanks, guys and gals, for all of the wonderful recommendations. I want to provide her the best beach experience and the best excursion experience. From what I've read (and this was even mentioned in this thread) Salto Lim?n is a must see/must do. From what you all are telling me, Lim?n is accessed either on horseback or ATV. How would I go about renting either of these two options? And, is Lim?n an all-day excursion? If not, how long of an excursion would it be? We would probably head out for an excursion after breakfast.

Also (and I could be opening up a can of worms here), which beach is the "must-go-to" beach in LT? It sounds like Coson (or is it pronounced Cos?n?) may be the winner in this category, but I would like to know from the experts. :) Thanks for all your help.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks, guys and gals, for all of the wonderful recommendations. I want to provide her the best beach experience and the best excursion experience. From what I've read (and this was even mentioned in this thread) Salto Lim?n is a must see/must do. From what you all are telling me, Lim?n is accessed either on horseback or ATV. How would I go about renting either of these two options? And, is Lim?n an all-day excursion? If not, how long of an excursion would it be? We would probably head out for an excursion after breakfast.

Also (and I could be opening up a can of worms here), which beach is the "must-go-to" beach in LT? It sounds like Coson (or is it pronounced Cos?n?) may be the winner in this category, but I would like to know from the experts. :) Thanks for all your help.

Salta Limon is a morning thing imo. Been there twice and both times chose a place right at the top of the windy road out of Limon which was quieter than some of the other starting points for the trek to the Falls. Get there about 10am and ask them to prepare a lunch for the return.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/@19.2677791,-69.4568998,213m/data=!3m1!1e3 (you can zoom out the google earth map to understand here this place is)

About half an hour by mule each way and the track is quite rugged but from this starting point quiet until it joins up with the other tracks from below.

If I recall they charged 500rd per person for the mule ride but you tip the mule handler too...they will ask. At a weekend it will likely be busy....but worth the visit.

Coson beach.......I'm biased....I lived close by for 6 months and was on the beach daily.......walked the 13km from end to end and swam everywhere. But I also lived on Playa Bonita and Playa Las Ballenas.......Coson is jaw dropping imo when you first step onto the empty golden sand.

Gringonazo

Sep 27, 2014
Salta Limon is a morning thing imo. Been there twice and both times chose a place right at the top of the windy road out of Limon which was quieter than some of the other starting points for the trek to the Falls. Get there about 10am and ask them to prepare a lunch for the return.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/@19.2677791,-69.4568998,213m/data=!3m1!1e3 (you can zoom out the google earth map to understand here this place is)

About half an hour by mule each way and the track is quite rugged but from this starting point quiet until it joins up with the other tracks from below.

If I recall they charged 500rd per person for the mule ride but you tip the mule handler too...they will ask. At a weekend it will likely be busy....but worth the visit.

Coson beach.......I'm biased....I lived close by for 6 months and was on the beach daily.......walked the 13km from end to end and swam everywhere. But I also lived on Playa Bonita and Playa Las Ballenas.......Coson is jaw dropping imo when you first step onto the empty golden sand.

A quick question: How much is a fair amount to tip the mule handlers?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
A quick question: How much is a fair amount to tip the mule handlers?

You can book a tour to Limon by horseback or ATV right in Las Terrenas . As far as a tip a couple of hundred pesos is more than enough. If you don't speak Spanish I would not go out to Limon and try to it on my own. There are many rip off artists that will try to take advantage of you. Stick with a tour that will provide transportation. Wear your bathing suit under your shorts if you want to swim in the natural pool at the base of the fall. Playa Bonita is also a very very nice beach. If you can find Hotel Atlanitis this stretch of beach is quite beautiful especially where Punta Bonita meets Coson Bay. Hotel Atlantis is also a very European hotel and great restaurant. I would recommend this place for a romantic dinner. You won't be dissapointed.

All great advice given. I've done the horseback trip to the falls & we weren't told that the handlers, which were great, needed to be tipped - Mayhem almost ensued, we're from NYC area & don't like to be suckered. Needless to say some locals were not happy with us. We did give them something, but not what they expected. The guy who rented the horses should have told us, but didn't. Oh well.

Another note - its a rugged horseback ride - some steep sections. If I'd known I could do an ATV - I would have done that instead.

See ya'll at Luis' soon.....