Defendant Accuses Prosecutor

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the DR gets more hilarious every single day

Peravia fraud case defendant accuses prosecutor in plain hearin

Santo Domingo.- A National District interim judge on Wednesday began the hearings against three defendants in the Peravia Bank fraud case and upon noting that one of them had no lawyer, asked him, ?why??

The accused Nelson Cabral turned to his right, looked at prosecutor Isidro Vasquez and then told 2nd Instruction Court judge Luis Borges: "Ask him because I gave him US$250,000 to resolve that."

The entire courtroom went silent from the statement and on the prosecutor?s lack of reaction.

The judge then adjourned the hearing and told the prosecutor to approach the bench to question him on what had occurred.

Upon learning of the incident Justice minister Francisco Dominguez instructed inspector general Bol?var S?nchez to investigate Vasquez, who has previously been charged with taking bribes. He was also accused of taking a US$75,000 bribe from Puerto Rican alleged drug trafficker Jose Antonio David Colon, but then Justice minister Radhames Jimenez dropped the case in 2007.

National District prosecutor Yeni Berenice Reynoso said Vasquez hasn?t been suspended but was taken off the case pending the investigation.

Accused

Also being held in connection with the case are Carlos Ferrer, former army coronel, Florentino de Jes?s Acosta, Yesenia Serret, Nelson Serret, Mar?a Luisa Guzm?n, Yomalys Fern?ndez, Magdalen Serret, Jorge Serret and Faunside Donato Morales.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
As I have said before living here is like living in a cartoon. You just can't make this stuff up.
Can anyone that is alive really be this stupid.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Isidro Vasquez? I know him, had some problems with him more than 5 years ago. I am not surprised to read this about him. This guy must end up in jail.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The court system down here sounds like a circus.

It looks like one too, with the little clown hats they wear.
TSE-1.jpg

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Darwin award

Nelson Cabral should get the Darwin award just for implicating himself of a criminal act, a bribe, in open court. If, in the event he got off on the charges of fraud case he cannot avoid jail time for the bribe if proved there was a payoff.

?Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.? Mark Twain

Regards,

PJT

Jan 9, 2004
Plaintiff???? Accuses Prosecutor

From today's DR1 news headlines;

Plantiff accuses prosecutor of corruption in court

During a court hearing for the Banco Peravia fraud case, presiding judge Luis Borges observed that the accused Nelson Cabral did not attend with his lawyer. He asked Cabral why. In response, he turned to prosecutor Isidro Vasquez who was present and said to the judge: "Ask him, because I paid him US$250,000 to resolve this."

As reported in El Dia, everyone in the courtroom was stunned to hear this strange statement, especially because of the prosecutor's reaction.

The presiding judge ordered the suspension of the hearing and for the prosecutor to be investigated. Attorney General Francisco Dominguez Brito instructed inspector general Bolivar Sanchez to begin investigations.

As reported in El Dia, it is not the first time that prosecutor Isidro Vasquez has been under investigation for allegedly receiving bribes. The first time was in 2007 when Puerto Rican Jose Antonio David Colon, arrested for drug trafficking, accused him, but then-Attorney General Radhames Jimenez dismissed the accusations.

National District prosecutor Yeni Berenice Reynoso said that Vasquez was removed from the case, not suspended, while the investigation is underway.

While I am aware justice is an Alice in Wonderland experience in the DR....unless things have changed in the legal world.....would not Mr. Cabral be considered a Defendant....not a Plaintiff.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
From today's DR1 news headlines;

Plantiff accuses prosecutor of corruption in court

During a court hearing for the Banco Peravia fraud case, presiding judge Luis Borges observed that the accused Nelson Cabral did not attend with his lawyer. He asked Cabral why. In response, he turned to prosecutor Isidro Vasquez who was present and said to the judge: "Ask him, because I paid him US$250,000 to resolve this."

As reported in El Dia, everyone in the courtroom was stunned to hear this strange statement, especially because of the prosecutor's reaction.

The presiding judge ordered the suspension of the hearing and for the prosecutor to be investigated. Attorney General Francisco Dominguez Brito instructed inspector general Bolivar Sanchez to begin investigations.

As reported in El Dia, it is not the first time that prosecutor Isidro Vasquez has been under investigation for allegedly receiving bribes. The first time was in 2007 when Puerto Rican Jose Antonio David Colon, arrested for drug trafficking, accused him, but then-Attorney General Radhames Jimenez dismissed the accusations.

National District prosecutor Yeni Berenice Reynoso said that Vasquez was removed from the case, not suspended, while the investigation is underway.

While I am aware justice is an Alice in Wonderland experience in the DR....unless things have changed in the legal world.....would not Mr. Cabral be considered a Defendant....not a Plaintiff.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
i guess you meant defendant..

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Nelson Cabral should get the Darwin award just for implicating himself of a criminal act, a bribe, in open court. If, in the event he got off on the charges of fraud case he cannot avoid jail time for the bribe if proved there was a payoff.

What "Bribe" case?

He gave Isidro Vasquez $250,000 U.S. to get him a good lawyer!

Santo Domingo.- A National District interim judge on Wednesday began the hearings against three defendants in the Peravia Bank fraud case and upon noting that one of them had no lawyer, asked him, ?why??

The accused Nelson Cabral turned to his right, looked at prosecutor Isidro Vasquez and then told 2nd Instruction Court judge Luis Borges: "Ask him because I gave him US$250,000 to resolve that."