One for the older folks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Heavens to Murgatroyd

Would you believe the email spell checker did not recognize the word murgatroyd?

Lost Words from our childhood:

Words gone as fast as the buggy whip! Sad really! The other day a not so elderly (65) lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy and he looked at her quizzically and said what the heck is a Jalopy? OMG (new phrase!) he never heard of the word jalopy!!

So they went to the computer and pulled up a picture from the movie"The Grapes of Wrath." Now that was a Jalopy!

She knew she was old but not that old...

I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle...

*WORDS AND PHRASES REMIND US OF THE WAY WE WORD*

by Richard Lederer

About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become
obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology. These phrases
included "Don't touch that dial," "Carbon copy," "You sound like a broken
record" and "Hung out to dry." A bevy of readers have asked me to shine
light on more faded words and expressions, and I am happy to oblige:

Back in the olden days we had a lot of moxie. We'd put on our best bib and
tucker and straighten up and fly right.

Hubba-Hubba! We'd cut a rug in some juke joint and then go necking and
petting and smooching and spooning and billing and cooing and pitching woo in hot rods and jalopies in some passion pit or lovers lane.

Heavens to Betsy! Gee whillikers! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy moley!

We were in like Flynn and living the life of Riley, and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be swell, but when's the last time anything was swell?

Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes and pedal pushers.

Oh, my aching back. Kilroy was here, but he isn't anymore.

Like Washington Irving's Rip Van Winkle and Kurt Vonnegut's Billy Pilgrim, we have become unstuck in time. We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, I'll be a monkey's uncle! or This is a fine kettle of fish! We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof, poof, poof go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind. We blink, and they're gone, evanesced from the landscape and wordscape of our perception, like Mickey Mouse wristwatches, hula hoops, skate keys, candy cigarettes, little wax bottles of colored sugar water and an organ grinders monkey.

Where have all those phrases gone? Long time passing. Where have all those phrases gone? Long time ago: Pshaw.

Think about the starving Armenians. Bigger than a bread box.
he milkman did it. Banned in Boston. The very idea! It's your nickel. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper.

Turn-of-the-century. Iron curtain. Domino theory.

Fail safe. Civil defense. Fiddlesticks!

You look like the wreck of the Hesperus. Cooties.

Going like sixty. I'll see you in the funny papers.

Don't take any wooden nickels. Heavens to Murgatroyd!

And awa-a-ay we go! Oh, my stars and garters! The Katz Pajamas.

It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions
than Carter had liver pills.

This can be disturbing stuff, this winking out of the words of our youth,
these words that lodge in our heart's deep core. But just as one never
steps into the same river twice, one cannot step into the same language twice.
Even as one enters, words are swept downstream into the past, forever
making a different river.

We of a certain age have been blessed to live in changeling times. For a
child each new word is like a shiny toy, a toy that has no age. We at the
other end of the chronological arc have the advantage of remembering
there are words that once did not exist and there were words that once
strutted their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more,
except in our collective memory. It's one of the greatest advantages of
aging. We can have archaic and eat it, too?

See ya later, alligator!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Or as my un-pc mother would say. He's lower than a snakes belly, go wash your hands, they are blacker than toby jacks ass, a day late, a dollar short, and a million other saying that I still remember coming from her mouth. She's much tamer in her dotage.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
86 that.
Ain't no thing but a chicken wing.
It's all good and a bag of chips.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
First of all, it bothers me that I clicked on this. And things like heavens to Murgatroyd and hubba hubba were old when I was young.

How 'bout like: "groovy?" or "boss?" or "copacetic?"

I am putting myself squarely in the 60s-70s here.......the decade.

Aug 6, 2006
I found this interesting.

'Heavens to Murgatroyd' is American in origin and dates from the mid 20th century. The expression was popularized by the cartoon character Snagglepuss - a regular on the Yogi Bear Show in the 1960s, and is a variant of the earlier 'heavens to Betsy'.

bert lahrThe first use of the phrase wasn't by Snagglepuss but comes from the 1944 film Meet the People. It was spoken by Bert Lahr, best remembered for his role as the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz. Snagglepuss's voice was patterned on Lahr's, along with the 'heavens to Murgatroyd' line. Daws Butler's vocal portrayal of the character was so accurate that when the cartoon was used to promote Kellogg Cereals, Lahr sued and made the company distance him from the campaign by giving a prominent credit to Butler.

As with Betsy, we have no idea who Murgatroyd was. The various spellings of the name - as Murgatroid, Mergatroyd or Mergatroid tend to suggest that it wasn't an actual surname. While it is doubtful that the writers of Meet The People (Sig Herzig and Fred Saidy) were referring to an actual person, they must have got the name from somewhere.

No fewer than ten of the characters in Gilbert and Sullivan's comic opera Ruddigore, 1887, are baronets surnamed "Murgatroyd", eight of whom (or is that which?) are ghosts. Herzig and Saidy were well versed in the works of the musical theatre and that plethora of Murgatroyds would have been known to them.

Where then did the librettist Sir William Gilbert get the name? It seems that Murgatroyd has a long history as a family name in the English aristocracy. In his genealogy The Murgatroyds of Murgatroyd, Bill Murgatroyd states that, in 1371, a constable was appointed for the district of Warley in Yorkshire. He adopted the name of Johanus de Morgateroyde - literally John of Moor Gate Royde or 'the district leading to the moor'.

Whether the Murgatroyd name took that route from Yorkshire to Jellystone Park we can't be certain. Unless there's a Betsy Murgatroyd hiding in the archives, that's as close as we are likely to get to a derivation.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
86 that.
Ain't no thing but a chicken wing.
It's all good and a bag of chips.

If they're not from NYC, they don't know about 86. I first heard it working as a waitress and was told it was the number of the city code that allowed bartenders to throw somebody out, but I'm not sure that's true.

It was the best thing in the world when Teddy the bartender would say, "He's 86'd."

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
As I was working on the house last week I said to myself, "I'll be a monkey's uncle." Then I thought, "Wow, it's been awhile since I've heard that." Then I thought, "I wonder if that started out as a racist comment." Then I started singing, "I'm fixing a hole where the rain comes in to keep my mind from wandering .......

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
As I was working on the house last week I said to myself, "I'll be a monkey's uncle." Then I thought, "Wow, it's been awhile since I've heard that." Then I thought, "I wonder if that started out as a racist comment." Then I started singing, "I'm fixing a hole where the rain comes in to keep my mind from wandering .......

I wouldn't over think it. Although I do think that Lennon-McCartney is the cure for just about everything.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Heavens to Murgatroyd

Would you believe the email spell checker did not recognize the word murgatroyd?

Lost Words from our childhood:

See ya later, alligator!

In a while, crocodile ! ;)

Otherwise, I have NO idea what the rest is about, sorry :) :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In a while, crocodile ! ;)

Otherwise, I have NO idea what the rest is about, sorry :) :)

When I was a kid, I thought they were saying "and the wild crocodile", haha

I'm a lot older than you malko, and some of those were more my parents' time, so I'm not surprised you don't recognize them. I didn't know some of them either [best bib and tucker???]. Kilroy is from American soldiers in WWII, before my time but I recognize it. Spats, knickers, way before that.

I'm with meems - groovy, boss, etc., but maybe they're like us meems, not THAT old :)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
while 86 that might be only NY, I remember deep 6 that. as in bury that.