car hire

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I am planning on going to santo domingo from the 9th of February until the 15th march.....and I believe you can not rent a car for more than 30 days
is there anyway around this ?
I did hear that if you were to take a trip to Haiti and then return to the D.R. ....the 30 day rule would apply from the day you return to D.R.
So if I rented a car for the 30 days and say visited Haiti on the 20th day of my stay ...could I return the car at the end of the 30 days and hire again for the remaining 6 days
if anyone can clear this up I would appreciate it
thanks

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You should check to see if the company will permit you to take a rental car out of the DR into Haiti. You may have to walk across the border and by the time you get back the whole car or parts of it may have wandered off.

I haven't cross the border myself, but I have been told that sometimes it is not necessarily a pleasant and hassle free experience.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Haiti isn't exactly just a quick little trip...

I've been renting a car for 4 months now, from a local Dominican renter. No problems what so ever. The name brand dealers may only let you rent for 30 days at a time from their websites. But, you can call to get this extended, or as Der says return it and rent again.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
You should check to see if the company will permit you to take a rental car out of the DR into Haiti.

I recently rented from Avis in Sosua, and I believe I remember Haiti being a no no. Regardless, it would be pointless to go there as it would accomplish nothing.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
My six year experience with Budget is 28 day max rental and only in the DR. Don't know if your CDW or supplementary insurance would apply in Haiti. My gut feeling is it doesn't and your not getting out of the DR until any damage is paid for. Really, it's not worth the risk.

Jan 9, 2004
I am planning on going to santo domingo from the 9th of February until the 15th march.....and I believe you can not rent a car for more than 30 days
is there anyway around this ?
I did hear that if you were to take a trip to Haiti and then return to the D.R. ....the 30 day rule would apply from the day you return to D.R.
So if I rented a car for the 30 days and say visited Haiti on the 20th day of my stay ...could I return the car at the end of the 30 days and hire again for the remaining 6 days
if anyone can clear this up I would appreciate it
thanks

No...not legally.

It is the net result of the expiration of your right to legally operate on your foreign operator's license (30 days)....and the exposure the car company would have...if they knowingly allowed you to continue to operate the vehicle.

So if you wish to circumvent the law...then find a local car rental company.....they likely won't care....but perhaps you should.

Remember, there's never a problem in the DR.....until there is a problem.

And forget you even thought of the Haiti work around.

Good Luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh no, PC2....

don't start the 'How many days on a foreign license' game again.....

Too many feel that the allowed time is unlimited......
insurance companies will pay regardless....

I am covering my ears and eyes.............

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I recently rented from Avis in Sosua, and I believe I remember Haiti being a no no. Regardless, it would be pointless to go there as it would accomplish nothing.

I have always heard that you can't cross the border into Haiti in a rental.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We used to rent cars for months - we had individual rentals for a month at a time. At the end of each month, we'd go in, pay up that contract, and start a new one. We did this with both Avis and National in SD.

Jan 9, 2004
We used to rent cars for months - we had individual rentals for a month at a time. At the end of each month, we'd go in, pay up that contract, and start a new one. We did this with both Avis and National in SD.

The operative words being "used to."

It only took one lawsuit filed in the US against one of the majors who allowed the practice....until the renter was in an accident and the insurance company the renter used via their not so protected credit card company that refused coverage because......the 30 day window in country was exceeded.

Like I said...there is never a problem in the DR until there is a problem.

The OP is likely to find a second tier locally owned rental car company that just does not care about the 30 day rule.....afterall, many of those locally owned second tier rental agencies are really laundry services.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The operative words being "used to."

It only took one lawsuit filed in the US against one of the majors who allowed the practice....until the renter was in an accident and the insurance company the renter used via their not so protected credit card company that refused coverage because......the 30 day window in country was exceeded.

Like I said...there is never a problem in the DR until there is a problem.

The OP is likely to find a second tier locally owned rental car company that just does not care about the 30 day rule.....afterall, many of those locally owned second tier rental agencies are really laundry services.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Wow, I had no idea, thanks for the info PC. We've had our own car there for a couple of years now, and before that we rented one for a couple of months from a DR1er who was out of the country, so yes, it's been a while.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Sure... But, you could also be perfectly legal, do everything right, buy the extra insurance and get hit by a moto driver pulling out the lot.

The cops arrest you, get you a lawyer whose in on the scam, and make you pay thousands of dollars under the threat of jail time.

The odds of that happening are probably just as good as getting into an accident on day 31.

When in Rome.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You cannot cross from the USA into Mexico, nor from Panama into Costa Rica. I know both of those are for sure. SO the idea of not being allowed to cross into Haiti seems correct.

In other words you have NO IDEA!

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
thanks for all the replies
so basically ...travelling to Haiti is not worth the effort or the risk
and it seems the best bet would be to rent for the 30 days and then do without a car for the last few days ..oh well maybe I should be happy with 30 days on one trip

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
The best way to travel to Haiti seems to be on Metro Bus.

Everybody comes here and is all fired up about going to Haiti. I know I was.

Now.....not so much.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have no desire to go to Haiti...only if it extended by driving abilities in the d.r over the 30 days

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
..oh well maybe I should be happy with 30 days on one trip

If your happiness while on vacation is entirely dependent on having a set of car keys in your pocket at all the times, maybe a trip to Indianapolis would be a more suitable alternative. No palm trees, but lots of cars at certain times of the year. You can take a lot of local personal taxis rides in the DR for the cost to rent and insure a rental car for the day.

You now even have Uber as a transportation option in SD. Sometimes cheaper than a regular taxi. I am sure you won't turn into a pumpkin if you have to spend a few days not chained to 4 specific tires.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I have no desire to go to Haiti...only if it extended by driving abilities in the d.r over the 30 days

Nothing will extend your legal ability to drive in the DR past 30 days except having a DR driver's license or being legally in the country while using your foreign license within the time frame allowed to do so. You already know that to reset the status clock, you have to leave and then return.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
You may decide after a couple of days you do not want to drive in Santo Domingo... Maybe come to Santo Domingo see what your options are for getting around before renting a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.