View Poll Results: In what type of neighborhood do you is safer to live in?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barrio

5 17.24%
  • Formal non-gated neighborhood

3 10.34%
  • Formal gated neighborhood (w/ Dominican majority)

9 31.03%
  • Formal gated neighborhood (w/ foreigners majority)

12 41.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safer in a barrio or in a formal neighborhood?

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Safer in a barrio or in a formal neighborhood?

Through the years many expats and Dominicans have given advice regarding safety issues while living in the Dominican Republic. One recurring theme is the notion that its actually safer in the barrios as oppose to the more formal neighborhoods. The people that often make this claim lived in both types of places and, counterintuitive to what many may think, the barrios treated them and their property better than in the formal neighborhoods. By treatment I'm referring to being victim of theft/break ins/muggings.

How much truth is there regarding this issue?

Are barrios overall safer than formal neighborhoods?

Why do you think that has been the case with you?

Moderator Polls Forum

Moderator - Central Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

There should be one more choice for those that feel it does not make a difference:

None of the above - Does not really make a difference
    ..........Moderator

The Clown Bin / Central

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends how you live and present yourself......and who you know.

4. Likes jstarebel, Harleysrock, robbiee liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ramesses View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly with this. Our home base is in a Puerto Plata Barrio, and I feel very safe there. Barrios are a bit different and have their own ways of dealing with inner barrio issues. Outsiders are not very welcome but being that I'm attached to a family, I'm accepted as a resident and not had a single issue there. Everybody knows everybody else's business.. I've been 9 years in this barrio.

6. Likes ramesses liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ramesses View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly with this. Our home base is in a Puerto Plata Barrio, and I feel very safe there. Barrios are a bit different and have their own ways of dealing with inner barrio issues. Outsiders are not very welcome but being that I'm attached to a family, I'm accepted as a resident and not had a single issue there. Everybody knows everybody else's business.. I've been 9 years in this barrio but to be fair, we are not there 365/year

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

FRom the sole issue of safety,my time in Zona Colonial ...I assume it is a barrio in this thread, has been remarkably safe especially over the past 6 years when the majority of discos were closed down but I do make sure my doors and windows are secure . I often stay at a home of a golfing friend in Casa de Campo where less emphasis is made on keeping the house locked up..I felt no safer there than in my own home in Zona Colonial ..
    I really think that ,these days the saftey issue is often linked to where the drugs are .

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I've lived in the campo (is that the same as a barrio), a 'gated' community with security and a mix of Doms and expats, and a GATED community. The 'gated', had decent security, only one entrance, but no real gate. It also had lots of people going through to the beach and other businesses. My current GATED community has walls, gates, amazing secuirty, and is only homes. No on is getting in. If I had to rate them from safest to least safe, I'd say:

1. GATED, I don't lock the doors and leave stuff laying out.
    2. Campo, I felt mostly safe and secure. Didn't even have a fence, and lived in an open air house. But, the people were different.
    3. 'gated', there were lots of unsavory folks around. There was a break in while we lived there.

Interestingly enough, I favor the people of the Campo. We were just people, not tourists or Gringos. If feels like in the expat communities, gringos walk around with targets on their back. I never dealt with harassment in the Campo, not like in Sosua and Cab.

10. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    I never learn...
    Post Thanks / Like

I live in an area next to a barrio but not in a gated area. Our short street has a mix of new apartment buildings, older wooden homes ( not shacks) and some large homes. The street has a lot of traffic as it joins three different sectors of town together and is the only two way street for several blocks. Drugs are sold nearby, but somewhat covertly. Next street over has several " Haitian hotels " and low rent buildings. The local residents keep a hawkeye out for thieves and any thief caught is usually very glad when the cops rescue them. I feel safe here, and yes I keep the door lock when we go out but during the day when at home no. Our area doesn't fit any of description in the poll.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

We need a " campo" choice.

13. Likes jstarebel liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I fall in line with my Dominican relatives on this subject, as they are the unquestioned experts on the matter. They live in Santo Domingo (I'm thinking the answer could vary depending on location) and they prefer gated, apartment block style housing. This isn't just a stated preference, they have put their money (a not inconsiderable amount of money) where their mouths are a couple of times now. They buy on the second floor of said developments, for the explicit reason that in their opinion this the most secure arrangement. There is a guard watching the vehicles out front 24/7, there are other eyes on the whole place from neighbors and such and the second floor part gets them off the street. I hate those kinds of developments personally.

If I were to buy property in Santo Domingo to live in (I never will) my inclination (with my American bias) would be to buy a house, with a little bit of yard and garden area around it and to build imposing barbed wired walls around the property and to then fortify the house with bars and such, basically, a little fortress. I have seen some houses set up in that way that look pretty impenetrable.

It's sad, all of the millions or billions of dollars wasted on security in the Dominican Republic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast