Hola from Edmonton

LONER

Dec 16, 2015
Wife and I have just begun the process to obtain permanent residency in the DR. We are planning on moving
to the DR by next fall(2016). We will be renting near Cabrera on the NE coast with the intent to eventually build in the area.
Been lurking on here all year and finally had to register just so I could comment on the Santa Domingo coffee to Canada thread:)
Having a lovely winter so far here in Alberta-only minus 7, although its going down to minus 20 tomorrow night.
Not looking forward to January. Whenever I see someone complaining about the heat in the DR my comeback is that my last name is Sommer and I live in Alberta, Canada-there ain't no such thing as TOO HOT!!
Getting late(after midnight in DR) Talk to you later.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Welcome. I was born and raised in Edmonton. Live between here and there pretty much 50/50.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Best of luck with the move, LONER! Cabrera is beautiful!! Even with the sudden international relocation, there is no reason for your wife to find your user name even slightly ominous.

LONER

Dec 16, 2015
CHIC- We're far enough north that ,currently, the sun comes up at 8:46 in the morning and sets at 4:14 in the afternoon. Until Next March it is going to look and feel like living on a glacier.
You know, we will not really care about whatever we come up against in the DR as long as there are palm trees and no cold(as defined by a Canadian). I don't even mind picking up the constantly dropping palm fronds :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Wife and I have just begun the process to obtain permanent residency in the DR. We are planning on moving
to the DR by next fall(2016). We will be renting near Cabrera on the NE coast with the intent to eventually build in the area.
Been lurking on here all year and finally had to register just so I could comment on the Santa Domingo coffee to Canada thread:)
Having a lovely winter so far here in Alberta-only minus 7, although its going down to minus 20 tomorrow night.
Not looking forward to January. Whenever I see someone complaining about the heat in the DR my comeback is that my last name is Sommer and I live in Alberta, Canada-there ain't no such thing as TOO HOT!!
Getting late(after midnight in DR) Talk to you later.

You sound like you have done some homework on the DR. The residency process will take about 12 months to obtain your temporary residency. I'm assuming you have spoken with someone at a Domincan Consulate in Canada to get all the details. Also, please understand that SECURITY should be your number one priority in moving to the DR. As a gringo you will be a target, especially if you build a house out in the countryside. You need to keep this in mind when deciding on your housing decisions. There are many nice people in Cabrera but there are also a few dirt bags also so please be careful. You are not in Canada anymore. Good luck and good travels.

LONER

Dec 16, 2015
Thanks Steve. We have an immigration lawyer working with us to obtain permanent residency. She'll guide us through the process, both in Ottawa and in Santo Domingo. We're familiar with the area we will be moving to. We've seen pretty well most of the North Coast from PP to Samana and driven over quite a lot of the interior around that area(ran out of road now and then:). We're comfortable with the area around Cabrera thus far.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You'll like the area....
more tranquillo than most and a very friendly, willing neighborhood when it comes to hiring and helping you around.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
Welcome here Loner. Hey my brother lives in Edmonton, I am way over on the east coast and when I stay in the DR it is on the east coast in Punta Cana two months each winter.